Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will see how AMSL1 do first and if it is too sketchy at downhill course then I will try boxxer until I can buy a single crown 180mm travel fork. I spent too much money for this 6.6 as it is, so.

I know a frame like Foes Inferno, they sepcifically note that "do not use double crown fork, the headtube will brake" type of thing.

But when I looked at the Socom, the headtube area looks, only by looking though, identical to 6.6. So, maybe it is okay?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I don't know the axle to crown height of that fork, but it sounds darn tall!

Last Sunday, I saw a 6.6 with Rock Shox Totem, and the geometry looked pretty jacked up (head angle overly slack with a tall bottom bracket). If that's what you're looking for, use a tall fork.

Does someone have a handy chart with axle-to-crown heights?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 6 inch boxxer, too. Actually I can make the a to c pretty low and bar kept down with the dangerboy negative rise stem and 20mm rise bar by syncros.
What I worry about is the strength of the headtube and I don't want to void the warranty.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
OneBikeGuy said:
misctwo, how is your build?

I would go for 66SL to keep the same look as my AMSL1, but I'm sure Totem would be good, too.
going as well as can be expected i guess, still trying to resolve 'issues' (from UPS)
parts-wise i'm ready, except for the SR71 stem....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Will it void the warranty if you put a double crown on the 6.6 frameset? A lot of long travel single crown forks have a longer axle to crown than some double crowns. Is their a maximum axle to crown measurement you can use?

·
Registered
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
boudreaux_45 said:
Will it void the warranty if you put a double crown on the 6.6 frameset? A lot of long travel single crown forks have a longer axle to crown than some double crowns. Is their a maximum axle to crown measurement you can use?
It was the official word from Intense about the double crown, so they don't make it barley enough around there, thus it would void the warranty, but that is my guess.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
boudreaux_45 said:
Double crown forks are A LOT stiffer back/forth than a single crown. If you hit something smack on, a single crown fork will flex or even bend, before destroying the head tube of the frame. With a double crown, you'll destroy the frame in a simlilar crash.

Same applies for jumping, the fork will bend forwards more with a single crown.

Ole.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.