Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out for a ride this AM to break in my new Motolite. If I wasn't so excited about the bike I would have stayed home: 22 degrees at my house this AM...warming up to 28 when we started riding at 8:30. Brrr. I dug out everything I owned: head wrap, winter gloves, long tights, heavy riding jersey (w/an under shirt), vest, and warmest socks I could find. I was still FREEZING COLD when riding.

My friend Eric and I started out at the parking lot @ Bell / FLW. We rode up Windgate Pass...down Windgate...around to Bell pass...down Dixie Mine to the end...back up Dixie Mine...up and over Bell Pass...and down to the car. I'll post up the GPS figures when I get them.

The trails are definitely improving, especially the Windgate and Dixie Mine trails. More and more sections of the trail are breaking in nicely. Bell Pass was fine going up, but still loose and sketchy going down. I'm really starting to like these trails!

OTOH -- one thing that is driving me crazy about the McDowell Mtn Trail system is the amount of places where the trail was cut in a lousy direction -- straight UP/DOWN a hill. I counted at least a dozen places today where the trail should wind up a hill sideways (so as to avoid erosion), but instead they cut it straight up/down the hill. These trails are brand new and erosion is already starting to show on these sections, and it's only going to get worse. I still don't know why this was done.

Thx...Doug

I

Attachments

·
wrecking crew
1,392 Posts
Nice! We went out to Casa Grande yesterday and it was freezing cold but NOTHING like it was out today! I didn't even bother and went to the gym instead. BRRRRRRR!!!! This is the kind of weather Crash likes. ;)

·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,581 Posts
Try 6 degrees. That's how cold it was here this morning.

I went riding.

·
Something goes here...
2,070 Posts
su.ling~ said:
BRRRRRRR!!!! This is the kind of weather Crash likes. ;)
You now it baby! Cyclejunkie and I hit SoMo this morning and it was quite chilly. Although after a little climbing, the vest came unzipped cuz I was hot.

I agree some of those cuts in the hill are a little 'out of place' so to speak. Good pics though.

·
RHRF!
1,281 Posts
What time did you finish? Was your riding partner on a Gary Fisher? I did a loop from my house around 1:00 PM: up DM, up to the Bell junction, down to the Windgate junction, continung down to the 'Coachwhip' (new trail name) /DM junction, and back to the house via DM. If we get a wet spring, Bell and Windgate should really start to get their 'singletrack' defined.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:
You now it baby! Cyclejunkie and I hit SoMo this morning and it was quite chilly. Although after a little climbing, the vest came unzipped cuz I was hot.

I agree some of those cuts in the hill are a little 'out of place' so to speak. Good pics though.
we rode national today and the fire road was like a fridge! the whole way up i was cold until we got into the vally with a little less exposure. i thought my nipples were going to start a fire in defense! great climb, cold ass DH. if eabos reads this, preemptive shutup. i hate cold as much as he hates climbing/going fast/being a man.

·
Fragile - must be Italian
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
pwrtrainer said:
we rode national today and the fire road was like a fridge! the whole way up i was cold until we got into the vally with a little less exposure. i thought my nipples were going to start a fire in defense! great climb, cold ass DH. if eabos reads this, preemptive shutup. i hate cold as much as he hates climbing/going fast/being a man.
Yeah, the downhills were absolutely BRUTAL today. We started our ride at 8:30AM when it was 28 degrees outside, and even the first climb UP Windgate (which is a very long steep climb) wasn't enough to keep me warm. This is honestly the first time I have been freezing cold while being almost breathless.

And then that first drop down Windgate...OMG I thought I was going to pass out. I recall standing on top of Windgate looking downhill and freezing my a$$ off from the breeze. I really wanted to hit the hill with speed to test out the new MotoLite, but then my body just shuttered at the thought.

So I said "screw it" and bombed down Windgate. My hands and feet froze, and my head got a horrible case of brain freeze. I didn't warm up until we got to the turnoff at Bell Pass.

I'm sure I would have been more comfortable with better clothing (particularly gloves and socks). At least my headband kept my ears warm and my chest was always comfortable...just the extremities were a mess.

Thx...Doug

·
Too many Sedonuts...
1,512 Posts
Yeah this cold was -starting- to make me think twice about riding in the mornings. Just starting. Hit T100 yesterday with u2metoo and was cold the whole time. So I went out and splurged on a Gore windstopper long sleeve jersey and I will attest they work as advertised...this morning at BCT it was 28 when I started and 36 when I finished and it worked great. I was a little cold at the beginning because it was downhill but once I got up to "operating temperature" it worked like magic. Started with an extra fleece vest on top until I started to feel some sweat building, took it off, and could regulate temp by moving the front zipper up and down. Never got wet, never got cold. It's good stuff and if you hurry there's still one on sale left at PV REI...

·
AKA shitbird
2,342 Posts
pwrtrainer said:
We didn't start the DH until like 11:30. It wasn't THAT cold. geez.

You got me all wrong. I like climbing, I just happen to be really slow at it, especially on my Ellsworth. I love going fast and try to go as fast as possible, which is still slower than a 90 year old hiker with a gimp leg. Give me a break though, I think I do pretty well physically when you consider my mental limitations.

As for being a man:

Where's your manhood when I keep witnessing your balls shriveling to the sized of raisins? You know, like everytime you approach the waterfall heading down National, reaching the top of Goat Camp and turning around...etc

I'm an A-hole....I'll shutup now.

·
Ride 'Til Your Knees Hurt
2,066 Posts
Crash_FLMB said:

My ears felt like someone was pressing red hot spoons against them... Oh wait, that's for another forum. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.