1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
DOT 5 or 5.1? Big diff. 5 is silicone base and 5.1 is glycol based. IDK of any bicycle brakes using 5. Do not mix or confuse the two.

If it's 5.1 (or 4) you'll need special glycol compatible grease. My LBS gave me a dollop in a small jar out of their shop stock. Some auto manufactures (Toyota for one) calls for glycol grease to be used in assembling their brake systems so you might find some in an auto store.

SRAM calls out for using this on the lever hose nuts. You can certainly get by without it.

·
Registered
10,052 Posts
I wouldnt use caliper grease no matter what, even if you are rebuilding them. Even for cars, its generally not used. We have such tiny parts in our brake systems, and already existing problems with pistons binding. I wouldnt introduce anything else in there.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,095 Posts
Not that I've used it, but this is the stuff SRAM make, and therefore recommend. I've seen the red rubber grease mentioned elsewhere, so pretty sure that's the non-bike equivalent and should be cheaper but all I found is a 2 oz tub on fleabay for like $11... :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.