Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on plans to do a Dos build up, and am curious if the '09 will be tooo relaxed with a 100mm fork. I prefer a more relaxed set-up, but don't want any of that floppy feel. The fork will be a F29. I ride a lot of technical terrain with roots and rocks, but it is mostly flat and fast. Also, can the F29 travel be adjusted? You know, buy the 100 and drop it to 80 if needed. Any help is appreciated.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Yep, it can be dropped but I think the dos was designed around an 80mm travel, 38mm offset fork. The Fox 100mm travel at 44 or 46mm offset might be just the ticket for great handling on that bike.

Try it at 100 first and drop it 10mm at a time to dial it in if needed.
G

·
Registered
663 Posts
The DOS has a low bottom bracket, height so a 100m fork will give you a bit more clearance. My freshly built 1x9 DOS has a Rock Shox Reba Race (2010) with 100m travel and a handlebar lockout.

·
likes to ride bikes
893 Posts
I put the 2009 Reba Team 29 maxle fork on there. It defaults to 120mm but can be adjusted all the way back to 80mm. I set it to 100mm but love the option to go up or down based on what I might ride.

The extra stiffness of the 20mm thru-axle is a must, I feel, since a 100mm 29er fork has the same lateral torsion to deal with as a 26er 140mm fork. I came from a Lefty so slop would be an unwelcome surprise.

·
That’s no moon.
789 Posts
I have a Reba Race on mine set to 100mm, mostly because I'm too lazy to put the spacer in. I haven't noticed any adverse handling effects, but I am not riding any super steep trails at the moment. Works fine on rolling stuff. I also added more sag and that probably helps...

·
Space Ghost
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, now the question is. Will a WB Fluid 110mm make THAT big a difference? I already have one that I ran on my Dambala and then my Sultan. I don't mind a bit more slack ride, just don't want that "floppy" feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts