Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Wandering not Lost
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opp to buy a Salsa Dos niner here locally at a good price....anyone have any experience w/ this bike yet? Feedback is welcomed....

pre-emptive thanks rendered

peace

·
Squalor
1,573 Posts
Get back over to the SS board...Dallas boy!

Plus the Dos Niner will feel all outclassed sitting next to that sweet Strong..

No valuble input...

How did you finish up at OC? I never saw you again after the checkpoint with all the fruit..I wish I had been pushing (definately the operative word) that nice light SS as opposed to my clunky ol' steel bike with gears.

Lance

·
Registered
349 Posts
Amazing

The most well-mannered, predictable, smooth, comfortable, fast, agile, pretty bike you'll ever ride. It's almost kinda weird...It's so smooth that you wouldn't think it could take on the twisties, but it does so in spades. The rear shock is a really good idea - you can stay seated as to keep the wheel down, and it never gets uncomfortable! I have a cx-1 instead of the reba, so that might make my feedback a tiny bit different as most have a reba. Seriously, you won't regret it!

703 Posts
It's all Good

The Dos 9 is exactly what a soft tail should be. It rides light and fast like a hardtail, but is just forgiving enough to feel squishy. I'm still dialing in the shock, but I have it at 125psi, and have only bottomed it out once, but still diagnosing. I have an XL frame, and I noticed just a hint of lateral flex, but it's a gem. I'm running the Jones ACX in the rear, and the clearance is tight, but not a problem. I kept picking up leaves that would get stuck in the tight clearance area around the seat-stay brace, but other than noisy weren't a problem.

·
rider
808 Posts
Hey Yunkie, how's the Dos at Wiss?
I wish I would have seen that ride come past my checkpoint at the Poker Run yesterday. I did see a girl come by on a Mooto-X YBB! It was cool to see a chick on 29er especially that bike.

Still sold on the Ignitors for our local terrain?

·
Wandering not Lost
632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lanpope said:
Get back over to the SS board...Dallas boy!

Plus the Dos Niner will feel all outclassed sitting next to that sweet Strong..

No valuble input...

How did you finish up at OC? I never saw you again after the checkpoint with all the fruit..I wish I had been pushing (definately the operative word) that nice light SS as opposed to my clunky ol' steel bike with gears.

Lance
hey lance....something like 7:20...I think...not too bad for no trainning...

yeah I just have an opportunity to get one on the cheap...curious about a 29'er this was the cheap option...

how are things in your land?

Ben

·
Only dead people are old
708 Posts
Has anyone riding a Dos Niner been on a Fisher recently? I would like to hear the comparison of the shorter top tube on the Salsa vs. Fisher (like is the Dos more prone to endo?). I would really like to hear from someone who has both bikes currently (yeah I know I'm asking for a lot, but I am very curious about the Dos Niner since the Moots is beyond me at this time).

·
bike geek
1,051 Posts
BThor said:
I have the opp to buy a Salsa Dos niner here locally at a good price....anyone have any experience w/ this bike yet? Feedback is welcomed....

pre-emptive thanks rendered

peace
I just finished riding my Dos Niner today at Sea Otter. HO LY Cow. I've read the course was longer than when I last did it 2 years ago when I did it on a rigid 26er singlespeed, but by my quick calculations, this year I beat my time by 5 minutes. It is so fast on the fire roads, so stable everywhere, so precise through the singletrack twisties, a total billy goat on the climbs, man it was fun. I'd read pre-ride course reports and people warned it was really washed out and rutted from all the rain we've had, and yes, it had a lot of ruts and bumps, but I truly barely noticed them on the Dos. I'm sure a lot simply had to do with the bigger wheels, but the rear shock was nice to have (never bottomed it out, still finding the right setting), and the bike overall was phenomenal. The sandy climbs...no problem. Washboard singletrack...bah. 4 mile fire road climb out to the finish, well, that was the engine's fault, not the bike
:rolleyes:

Anyway, I love mine. I'd like to compare the ride of that course on my rigid Waltworks, to see how much of my raving is the Dos, and how much is the bigger wheels.

I say get it, especially if it's at a nice price!

·
Registered
349 Posts
sadly....

TeamSwami.com said:
Hey Yunkie, how's the Dos at Wiss?
I wish I would have seen that ride come past my checkpoint at the Poker Run yesterday. I did see a girl come by on a Mooto-X YBB! It was cool to see a chick on 29er especially that bike.

Still sold on the Ignitors for our local terrain?
I haven't had a chance to ride there yet...I have a small business and a kid, so.......I did try it in Gladwyne though (so I can take the dog off leash) and it was amazing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Super E said:
Has anyone riding a Dos Niner been on a Fisher recently? I would like to hear the comparison of the shorter top tube on the Salsa vs. Fisher (like is the Dos more prone to endo?). I would really like to hear from someone who has both bikes currently (yeah I know I'm asking for a lot, but I am very curious about the Dos Niner since the Moots is beyond me at this time).
I have had a Fisher for about the last 9 months and I just built up a Dos Niner which
I have about 40 hours of riding on. I have ridden and raced the X-cal in various conditions
and locations including the 17 Hours of Rain and Mud....er... I mean the 24 Hours in the
Old Pueblo. This was my first big wheel bike and I guess I figured that the slower handling and steering response were a result of the big wheels. That is until I rode the Dos Niner.
This bike is quicker and much more agile than the Fisher. It actually rides like a bike.
On the Fisher I was constantly reminded that I had bigger wheels, mostly due to the
long TT which made the front wheel light and floppy. The Salsa is much more lively and
responsive and prefers going fast. As far as an endo issue goes, I have not had a problem
or even thought about it once. I guess I should also say that I have only ridden the Salsa
(off road)in one location,Fruita, but I do not anticipate my feelings to change because of
location or trail conditions. Unfortunately, winter does not want to release its grip and all the trails here are still BURIED under lots of snow. With that being said, I can not
wait to ride/race the Dos Niner, a bike that will be perfectly suited for my high alpine
enviroment. Get one..skip the Fisher.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.