Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kid just left for college (Bozeman) and brought his bike (aluminum Stumpjumper Evo frame, AdventX drive train, DTSwiss wheels/hubs, TRP G-spec brakes, tubeless tires). He only currently brought with him a multi-tool, hex wrenches (2 to 10mm), tubeless repair kit, and a floor pump, as well as a massive bike lock and plans to keep the bike in the dorm room. Space is likely limited, and theft may be an issue. I think they have some good bike co-ops, so tools like derailleur hanger gauges aren't critical.

I'm making a list of additional tools that might be of use. Please add (or subtract) suggestions:

0. Has multitool, pump, hex wrenches, tubeless kit.
1. Quicklink pliers (maybe Woolftooth combo).
2. Valve core extractor (part of above Wooltooth combo).
3. Minimalistic but reliable torque wrench with bits (suggestions?).

·
Single Track Mind
1,052 Posts
Kid just left for college (Bozeman) and brought his bike (aluminum Stumpjumper Evo frame, AdventX drive train, DTSwiss wheels/hubs, TRP G-spec brakes, tubeless tires). He only currently brought with him a multi-tool, hex wrenches (2 to 10mm), tubeless repair kit, and a floor pump, as well as a massive bike lock and plans to keep the bike in the dorm room. Space is likely limited, and theft may be an issue. I think they have some good bike co-ops, so tools like derailleur hanger gauges aren't critical.

I'm making a list of additional tools that might be of use. Please add (or subtract) suggestions:

0. Has multitool, pump, hex wrenches, tubeless kit.
1. Quicklink pliers (maybe Woolftooth combo).
2. Valve core extractor (part of above Wooltooth combo).
3. Minimalistic but reliable torque wrench with bits (suggestions?).
Hey Congrats,
When I took my MTB to the dorm, I semi-lofted my bed and kept it locked underneath. It looks like he has the floor pump, which is most critical, IME. As for a small and reliable torque wrench, I have the Park Tool ADT 1.2 adjustable (from 4, 4.5, 5, 5.5, 6) that works really well. My biggest hassle was cleaning and lubing my drive train, but if he has access to a bike co-op all should be well...as long as he doesn't ride his bike to class and lock it up outside. No, no, no, no, no...never outside!!!

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
When you say hex wrenches, do you mean a set of real ones, separate from the multitool? If not, those would be on my list.

For a torque wrench, I'd do a simple preset torque key (I like the CDI ones) or a couple for most duties. High torque stuff like crank bolts requires a bit more effort and may want to venture to a co-op for that.

For general use, I found a ratcheting screwdriver with swappable bits to be more useful than I expected. If he has a good selection of bits, it's very useable on the bike. I still use one for the little torx bolts on 6 bolt rotors in preference over most other tools I have.

I would look hard for some sort of workstand that's small/collapsible enough for him to store. Maybe like a scorpion stand? Something like that, not a collapsible full-size workstand.

I don't think anything more than that would have been anything I wanted to mess with in college. And space wasn't all that much of a concern for me. I had huge dorm rooms back then.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
4) condom econo pack
5) Hangover Helper
6) Home pregnancy test kit
7) Emergency miniatures
8) 5-Hour Energy/No-Doz
9) Ear plugs
10) Beer bong
11) Grappling hook/rope
12) Smelling salts/Sharpie

Sent from my iPhone

·
1,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, he has a separate set of normal L-shaped Hex wrenches. I think he forgot his shock pump. His space is absurdly small. I think they are cramming 2 people into a single now.

What's the Sharpie for?

·
since 4/10/2009
37,118 Posts
His space is absurdly small. I think they are cramming 2 people into a single now.
nah, lots of newish dorm rooms ARE absurdly small. The building I lived in was originally built in the 1840's, and was not originally a dorm. so the rooms were unusually big. but most ppl I know who lived in buildings built originally as dorms had stupid small rooms.

A friend of mine had to get REALLY creative with his absurdly small double room. That meant partial disassembly of bikes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.