Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dropper post: love it, shove it or meh?

• Always!

Votes: 146 71.9%
  • On some of my bikes

Votes: 31 15.3%
  • Occasionally (rental bikes or bro with Kool-Aid & cookies hypnotism)

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • NFW

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • WHAT IS A DROPPER POST?

Votes: 13 6.4%
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,433 Posts
There has been a lively discussion about dropper posts so I figured it is time for a poll (and comments from a wider audience)

Have at it!!!

I'm dropper agnostic- happy to use them on rental bikes when I'm renting/traveling and have no worries when they are not available (in HI, UT, MT, PA, MD, VA and elsewhere for example). I click off 2-3k or more of miles on 4+ bikes every year and do not deem them a necessity for what/where/how I ride most of the time.

Wot say YOU? lol

Admin Edit: add photo for featured thread
Metal Sword Composite material Fashion accessory Steel

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,937 Posts
Personally I'd never consider owning -- nor renting nor borrowing -- a mountain bike that lacks a dropper.
In my universe a mountain bike without a dropper is about as fun as a mountain bike without pedals.
=sParty

·
Registered
203 Posts
Personally I'd never consider owning -- nor renting nor borrowing -- a mountain bike that lacks a dropper.
In my universe a mountain bike without a dropper is about as fun as a mountain bike without pedals.
=sParty
This. Of course there are specialty bikes that are exceptions, but for the majority of bikes it's just way more fun with a dropper.

·
Registered
14,361 Posts
=sParty
I will readily admit that I have completely lost the skill set of getting behind my saddle. And I'm fine with that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
505 Posts
I was a late convert to dropper posts, but I definitely like them for bigger drops and elevated skinnies. I know that a lot of us rode without them for decades, but I just have more confidence in those situations when I can quickly lower my CG a few inches without worrying about getting stuck behind the saddle.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My last ride I was with my gf and had plenty of time while she caught up....I was messing around leaving the post up and trying to get behind it on tech decents. Having your arms fully extended is too awkward. I wish I didn't fall in love with dropper posts, but it is what it is.....

·
Banned
2,294 Posts
I will readily admit that I have completely lost the skill set of getting behind my saddle. And I'm fine with that.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk
the reality is that stupid position to be in. So glad the bikes today let us be in the correct position.

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
17,937 Posts
I would ride a bike with a front defailure and a dropper post before I'd ride a bike with a 1x drivetrain and no dropper.

It's that serious.

Heck, I'm considering starting a new religion -- The Church of the Dropper Post. Think of the tax benefits. Not to mention all the wimmins...
=sParty

·
orthonormal
5,144 Posts
I drop my saddle any time I'm going to stand for a bit while riding. On my older bikes, the standing position was far enough forward of the seated position that the saddle wasn't in the way when I stood up to pedal but on my newer bikes with steeper STAs, the saddle pokes me in the ass unless I drop it. And with a longer wheelbase/slack HTAs, I don't need to get so far back for descents. If I leave the saddle up and get behind it like I used to do, I don't have enough weight on the front wheel to steer well.

Agree or I will post links to my rides on Strava.

·
Pro Coffee Drinker
269 Posts
I got my 1st dropper post in 2019 after a brief few year hiatus from MTB when I was working on my house and my 1st son was born. Before I took a break, dropper posts were a thing but they were all $300 - $500, and none were known to be reliable. Once I got back into things, I bought a Brand-X ascend dropper for $99 (with a lever!!) from CRC on black friday and never looked back. Both of my bikes have droppers and honestly after using one I don't know how this could even be a debate. Especially with how good they've gotten these days.. the OneUp I have on my hardtail is stellar.

-DS

1 - 20 of 84 Posts