Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those who want to know why floaters help keep your suspension active check the vid.

http://www.konaworld.com/dope.htm

PS - FWIW, I tried this with my Big Hit (FSR) and it reacted the same way, although not to the same extreme. However the movement is still there, laying to rest the dabate if Horst Link bike could benefit from a floater, the answer is YES. :thumbsup:

enjoy.

Edit: For all the latest info regarding wazzup in MTB, like this little tidbit here, peep Sicklines.com

·
Registered
243 Posts
Nice find. I've always wondered exactly how much of a benefit a floater could be and after viewing that, my mind is free of doubt. Thanks .:thumbsup:

·
Equal opportunity meanie
2,781 Posts
Wouldn't that be technically brake squat and not brake jack? Personally I'd like the bike to squat a little bit to even out the dive from the front end.

It seems to me that the swingarm caliper isn't really exerting a great enough force on the suspension to make it noticeable noticeable once the shock is already on the bike, and the riders weight is loading the suspension as well.

·
Takw/agranofsalt
3,532 Posts
DHidiot said:
Wouldn't that be technically brake squat and not brake jack? Personally I'd like the bike to squat a little bit to even out the dive from the front end.

It seems to me that the swingarm caliper isn't really exerting a great enough force on the suspension to make it noticeable noticeable once the shock is already on the bike, and the riders weight is loading the suspension as well.
I heard somewhere that Fabien Barel(?) sets his floater up to provide brake squat. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Khemical said:
I heard somewhere that Fabien Barel(?) sets his floater up to provide brake squat. Can anyone confirm this?
Yeah I talked to the guy at Brake Therapy about this.

Floaters are usually set at a specific spot on the frame to keep the suspension neutral (no squat or rise). If you look at the new Stab, there are two settings for the floater one up high (stock neutral setting) and one lower down (the setting Fabien uses). Fabien has his set lower down on the seat tube, which causes the suspension to squat. Subsequently, if you move the floater up on the seat tube it will cause the suspension to rise.

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Thank you for the Demo;) I understood the theory of the Floater but to see it in an test setting environment makes it ever so clear why I WANT ONE!:thumbsup:
Thanks for the link Red5
DB

·
Hard as nails
1,008 Posts
Thank you for the Demo;) I understood the theory of the Floater but to see it in an test setting environment makes it ever so clear why I WANT ONE!:thumbsup:
Thanks for the link Red5
DB

·
rollin
2,646 Posts
Dirtman said:
Thank you for the Demo;) I understood the theory of the Floater but to see it in an test setting environment makes it ever so clear why I WANT ONE!
yah, but a little bit of brake squat is nice, it keeps the bike balanced when slamming on the brakes late, going into a corner, like what dhidiot was saying. a completely nuetral system, like the floater, will allow the front of the bike to dive. that's wack!
even on my friends stinky, it has two floater frame mounts, one completely nuetral, and another that induces brake squat, as requested by fabbian barrel.
like all things bike, it's comes down to balance and comprimise. it's not a black/white on/off issue.

·
Just another FOC'er
2,222 Posts
red5 said:
Yeah I talked to the guy at Brake Therapy about this.

Floaters are usually set at a specific spot on the frame to keep the suspension neutral (no squat or rise). If you look at the new Stab, there are two settings for the floater one up high (stock neutral setting) and one lower down (the setting Fabien uses). Fabien has his set lower down on the seat tube, which causes the suspension to squat. Subsequently, if you move the floater up on the seat tube it will cause the suspension to rise.
Looks like even in the lower position it'll still squat less than without the floater on there. I've heard that some people run a floater to get more squat than they'd get without it.

I'm not sure I'd want my FSR bikes to be any more neutral than they are. Squat does compensate somewhat for dive, and that's something I appreciate on the steep stuff.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.