Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even Wizard Sherwood's AL, frames have to be as stiff as the next brand, though they are likely better built and may handle better. I had a Rocky Mountain Vertex AL. that handled and climbed like crazy, but I sure paid for it in body and back aches. This was right after having carbon fiber and steel frames, so it is not all hard tails compared to FS. I feel like a wimp not being able to handle it. And 29R's in AL. didn't fix it, which is too bac because they climb so efficiently. My low back spaz'ed out after 4 light duty rides on a loaned Fisher SuperCaliber. I am comfortable with 3-5 hour rides on various FS machines, so it isn't that I am plain weak. Even Sherwood echo'ed what I have heard before, that aluminum is just aluminum. Anybody down with my experience?

Feeling inadequate in Baltimore.....

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
wyatt said:
Even Wizard Sherwood's AL, frames have to be as stiff as the next brand, though they are likely better built and may handle better. I had a Rocky Mountain Vertex AL. that handled and climbed like crazy, but I sure paid for it in body and back aches. This was right after having carbon fiber and steel frames, so it is not all hard tails compared to FS. I feel like a wimp not being able to handle it. And 29R's in AL. didn't fix it, which is too bac because they climb so efficiently. My low back spaz'ed out after 4 light duty rides on a loaned Fisher SuperCaliber. I am comfortable with 3-5 hour rides on various FS machines, so it isn't that I am plain weak. Even Sherwood echo'ed what I have heard before, that aluminum is just aluminum. Anybody down with my experience?

Feeling inadequate in Baltimore.....
I would love to try Sherwoods El Comandante personally. I currently have a kissing cousin to Aluminum (ie, Scandium) 29er and love it. I ride it fully rigid with the crappiest most harsh surly fork up front and still love the ride. My 26" hardtail is steel and love the bike. Hard to comare apples to apples since it would really take a "comparably" built Al frame versus a steel frame with the exact same components to make a somewhat valid assessment. As with anything in bike land, many parameters are gonna contribute to the ride such as build quality, type of Al tubing, tires you run, geometry, etc....so hard to say.

My very personal very biased and subjective opinion is that the harshness of Aluminum is perhaps overrated, assuming a good Aluminum frame. While I am sure it can be detected, I just find it hard to believe it makes such a substantial difference, especially if you have suspension up front. Having said that, I would choose steel over Aluminum in general on a 26" bike for sure. Perhaps it is the relatively large Exiwolf up-front but on my 29er I dont miss not having a steel or Ti frame in the least.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes, aluminum hardtails are for smooth california trails. I wish ventana wasn't prejudice against steel. I would love a higher quality version of my gunnar in a 29" version.

Aluminum wouldn't cut it in Seattle and it surely wouldn't here (Boulder), as far as SSing goes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.