Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You hit a Black 5 series BMW at 45 kmh and you find out from a frame-builder that your Pink Surly 1x1 is no more. My frame is bent like a banana, i spent 17 hours at the Alfred (Hosp.) in Melb. Now i'm out 1 frame and fork but you gotta love TAC. No med bills. 68 year old driver, given a ticket for not giving way to on comming traffic (me), still claims that i was going to fast on Bourke Rd, Glen Iris (60 zone, bike has never been above 50kmh.) One thing I love is morphine and ambulance pain killers.

Damage: Rotator cuff in right shoulder, MET helmet, Pink Surly 1x1 frame/fork, knee cap that looks like chopped liver.

Also just found out that some 50 year-old lady has just been killed on the 'Great Vic Bike Ride'. My deepest sympathies go out to her family. She was blown into a 4WD by high winds, freak accident or driver in-attention?

Monday really sucks.

Aussie SS...............

·
Registered
43 Posts
wow man, bad news all round!

Ohh well, at least you're alive and kicking (with the leg which still has a good knee cap). Bikes can be bought, a second chance can't ;)

4wd's are one of the reasons I try and avoid roads as much as I can :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
That's why I hate riding on the road!

I try to avoid the road and stick to the dirt. At least you only have yourself to blame when you get f&@ked up.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
ozlongboarder said:
Glad to hear your ok! Will you make a full recovery? At least now you have a perfect excuse to get a new frame. May I suggest sticking with the Surly theme and getting a Karate Monkey.
Or if you are wanting a large replacement 1x1 (in black).
Oh never mind. SPAM is not allowed right?!?!?!?!
Terrible news about your accident but good to hear it was only your bike that was written off.

·
Gone riding
3,351 Posts
Sorry to hear that Aussie!!

I really hope you make a speedy recovery and get back on that bike pronto. Just don't get too comfortable with that morphine hey! :D

It's a bummer about the Surly too. There aren't many pinkies floating around new anymore now either. I guess a local spray painter could soon change that, but I guess it's not the same is it?

On the upside you get to build up another rig soon!!

Also just found out that some 50 year-old lady has just been killed on the 'Great Vic Bike Ride'. My deepest sympathies go out to her family. She was blown into a 4WD by high winds, freak accident or driver in-attention?
That's sad news. I hadn't heard until know. It really does make you wonder as to where the blame sits though.

Get well soon Aussie!!

Dave.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Sorry for your lose Aussie SS...

I konw how you feel, I was not long ago hit by a car while doing training miles on the road bike- up and destroyed my back wheel of my 3 week old roadie :confused: I was lucky enough to not be hurt, and the driver paid all repairs

I hope you recover well... and dont speed any more :p Car drivers will make any excuse to get out of something. Whether you were going too fast or not (wish should not be questioned anyways)- she failed to give way.... :mad:

·
Registered
574 Posts
bummer dude. make sure she pays for all the damage including a new frame, (a bummer they might have to make a custom spray, could cost her a fortune) oh well such is life. At least your ok. My philosophy is anticipate the dumbest possible thing a driver could do and avoid it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK SS

And it's an all to familiar story these days. more cars on the road. shorter tempers. and bikers just trying to get from A-B in one piece. I can only echo what has already been said here in that i just don't ride on the road anymore. I'm lucky enough to live in the country so i can ride for days on fire trails etc where I can here a car coming for several minutes and go hide in the forest if need be :D Seriously I quite often dissapear into the trees. just in case we have a car load of yobbos looking for a 'good' time at someone elses expence

( Granny Gear said- 'Also riding to the trails on the local road a few months ago when some hoons threw a bottle at me' )- I've had the same **** happen to me mate :mad:

And I'd just like to echo your sentiments to the family of the 50 year old lady killed on the Great Vic Bike Ride.

(freak accident or driver in-attention?) Good question. How many bikes participated in the ride. a few thousand? If I was driving past them it would have been at a snails pace at best :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.