Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my new wheelset from Universal built with XM819s and they look great. However, much to my surprise, there were no valve stems. Is this normal? Aren't the rims supposed to come with valve stems? I haven't found a website yet that says you need to order them seperate when getting these rims.

:confused: :madman:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I called Universal when they opened and they were very apologetic. I actually got them to send me Stan's stems instead of Mavic which I would have ended up buy later anyway since I'm running Stan's sealant for extra puncture protection.

·
Registered
692 Posts
BrandonJ said:
I called Universal when they opened and they were very apologetic. I actually got them to send me Stan's stems instead of Mavic which I would have ended up buy later anyway since I'm running Stan's sealant for extra puncture protection.
you don't need rim strips with the 819s just some of the goo to go inside, the strips will just be extra weight

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
BrandonJ said:
I just received my new wheelset from Universal built with XM819s and they look great. However, much to my surprise, there were no valve stems. Is this normal? Aren't the rims supposed to come with valve stems? I haven't found a website yet that says you need to order them seperate when getting these rims.

:confused: :madman:
I've been thinking about getting some wheels built by them.
How was your experience?
Did you use the online wheel build tool, or did you call and talk to someone?

Thanks
-Dan

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the on-line building tool which was a breeze. Aside from the UST valve stems missing, the experience was good. Being the impatient person that I am, I called an LBS about the stems after I got off the phone with Universal and they had the Mavic stems. I got 2 for $10 so I grabbed for a quick fix until the Stan's stems come just so I could ride tonight. The ride was great, the wheels felt nice and stiff, and the spokes all felt good at the conclusion of the ride. We'll see how they hold up to months of clyde abuse but I'm thinking I'll be in good shape.

:thumbsup: to Universal custom wheels!

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
BrandonJ said:
I used the on-line building tool which was a breeze. Aside from the UST valve stems missing, the experience was good. Being the impatient person that I am, I called an LBS about the stems after I got off the phone with Universal and they had the Mavic stems. I got 2 for $10 so I grabbed for a quick fix until the Stan's stems come just so I could ride tonight. The ride was great, the wheels felt nice and stiff, and the spokes all felt good at the conclusion of the ride. We'll see how they hold up to months of clyde abuse but I'm thinking I'll be in good shape.

:thumbsup: to Universal custom wheels!
Thanks for the reply. I've been debating over saving $400 with Universal, or having a local shop do it. From what I've heard, Universal seems to do a good job on the builds.

-Dan

·
Registered
177 Posts
Universal is slippin

Just got "old-stock", two years old, "old-stock" Atom-Labs hubs from them..(sent them back) They have Hope Bulbs on the site, obsolete.. lots of other anoying stuff..besides they are slow..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts