Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Phil (my riding bud) and I were heading home from a fairly successful race trip to Moab. He got a 3rd in the Hill Climb, and I got a 4th in the Cross Country time trail (my best Sport finish ever!).

We stayed around Moab for the award ceremony Sunday, so Phil could get his cheesey plaque. :) We headed home about 2:30PM, toward Denver.

The snow started around Vail, and it just got worse. We made it through Vail Pass, through the Eisenhower tunnel, and we were almost to Silver Plume. It seemed like we'd make it home, late, but that's better than staying in the mountains (when you have to get back to work).

Then, all of a sudden, the rear end of the Land Rover decided it was jealous of the front, and started catching up. Understand that Land Rovers aren't that stable at speed, with water (or snow) on the road.

I tried to correct (careful to not over-correct), but turning had no effect. I might as well have been on solid black ice. :-( I just had time to yell "hold on, we're going over", and we went over.

We ended up on our top, after spinning 3/4 of the way around, in the median.

We could have bought the big one in so many ways I won't list them.

Good news: nobody physically hurt, and lots of nice people stopped and helped us! We had to wait 2 friggin' hours for the tow truck -- the police never did show up. (I talked to them, and they said "we ain't comin!").

Here's a pic of the Rover. Doesn't really show the damage, like the puddle of oil in the median, nor the fact that the key won't come out and it's stuck in park (which makes towing it interesting).

Bottom line: if you have a big ol' SUV (like I used to have :)), slow down in the snow or end up like we did! I'm drivin' a darn micro-rental around for who knows-how-long!

BTW --- we had a Thule bike rack on the back, with two kind-of-expensive bikes, and the only damage was one wheel getting taco-ed and the bike rack getting bent. I doubt we would have been so lucky with a roof rack. Just a data point.

Attachments

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Debaser said:
Ouch. Bummer deal on the vehicle.

I assume seatbelts? Good for you!
Yes, we both had seat belts.

An ambulance stopped by moments after both of us had been helped out of the car (we needed help, since the door as on the ceiling!).

The ambulance driver said "are you okay?", and we said "yes", then he asked "did you have seat belts on?", and for some reason I answered "yes, of course!".

Then he said "I have to go to an injury, so see ya", and was gone.

We are lucky we didn't see/cause many other accidents. We waited in a Semi cab for about an hour, and watched a procession of folks stop (and even back up!) on the freeway, checking to see if anybody was hurt. I'm glad we didn't witness another crash!

Thanks for your kind thoughts. :)

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

COmtbiker12 said:
Glad you're okay. :D
Thanks. So am I.

I'm still thinking "I could have died", and "I could have killed somebody else", and even "I used to think I was a good driver".

I may be switching to a car that's lower to the ground and is made for highway handling. :)

[Land Rover's are great for four-wheeling, but I do that maybe once a year!]

Thanks again Tony. I'll be driving slower in the snow, for a while!

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
LeeMan said:
Thanks. So am I.

I'm still thinking "I could have died", and "I could have killed somebody else", and even "I used to think I was a good driver".

I may be switching to a car that's lower to the ground and is made for highway handling. :)

[Land Rover's are great for four-wheeling, but I do that maybe once a year!]

Thanks again Tony. I'll be driving slower in the snow, for a while!
Ironically enough a friend at school rolled her car over the weekend as well. She was driving her mom's little Saturn wagon on a little street near our mall and was going like 45 in a 25. Supposedly she hit the curb and rolled it. She even brought in pictures, lol. (Nobody was hurt)

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Wow....Looks like the Rover held up pretty well, which is a good thing.

Glad to hear you two are alright and that no bikes were harmed in the process.

We gotta get back down to Palmer sometime, I'll drive... :)

·
Perpetually single track
3,175 Posts
Good that you're safe, but if you hit ice sheet as it sounds, douptful any other car (except maybe sumthing with studded tires) would have mattered....speed and weight (which you had in you favor with the bigger SUV) are the main factors.

Think of it this way, your wreck probably saved a bunch of others from eating it, because they slowed down the rest of the way into Denver.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Glad the two of you are okay. My 4 Runner is one of the scariest autos I've owned when it comes to driving in the snow. You should've told the State Patrol that you were driving a Krispy Kreme truck - that would've gotten their attention.

If it makes you feel any better, I've attached a picture of the Bradley my brother was riding in 2 days ago when it ran over an IED in Baghdad (seriously). I won't hijack your thread with the whole story - but I will say that, after hearing the story, I am extraordinarily happy that he is still alive (and well, under the circumstances)

Attachments

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good Reminder ...

s1ngletrack said:

If it makes you feel any better, I've attached a picture of the Bradley my brother was riding in 2 days ago when it ran over an IED in Baghdad (seriously). I won't hijack your thread with the whole story - but I will say that, after hearing the story, I am extraordinarily happy that he is still alive (and well, under the circumstances)
Always good to remember where your (or my) problems are, in the spectrum of real problems.

Glad your brother is okay! At least my crash my was own damn fault.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
Glad the two of you are okay. My 4 Runner is one of the scariest autos I've owned when it comes to driving in the snow. You should've told the State Patrol that you were driving a Krispy Kreme truck - that would've gotten their attention.

what generation is your runner?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
s1ngletrack said:
It's a '96 - not sure exactly what gen that makes it. It would probably help if I replaced the rack on it, but it never has done too well on snow for some reason.
I've got an old one with the fiber glass top. If it's icy I don't really go anywhere without 4 wheel drive.

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Th' Mule said:
Just remember kids, 4WD just makes you go better, but you'll stop like everybody else.

I am glad that you made it out alive.

Ditto for the Bro in Iraq.

Be lucky.
If anything it sucks even more trying to regain control after you've lost since you've got more mass so when you lose traction its even harder to get it back.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discos

My wife rolled our first Discovery into a ditch and walked away without a scratch. Insurance company totaled the car. Several months later, in a new Discovery, I tagged a big horn sheep that was attempting to cross all lanes of ski traffic on a Saturday afternoon. Sheep didn't fair too well but the Rover held up like a champ. Again, not a scratch even though his horn made it through the windshield in front of my passenger..

While not the best cars for highway driving or emergency maneuvering, I give them an A+ for safety and durability!

Glad your OK!

·
Registered
219 Posts
LeeMan said:
So Phil (my riding bud) and I were heading home from a fairly successful race trip to Moab. He got a 3rd in the Hill Climb, and I got a 4th in the Cross Country time trail (my best Sport finish ever!).

We stayed around Moab for the award ceremony Sunday, so Phil could get his cheesey plaque. :) We headed home about 2:30PM, toward Denver.

The snow started around Vail, and it just got worse. We made it through Vail Pass, through the Eisenhower tunnel, and we were almost to Silver Plume. It seemed like we'd make it home, late, but that's better than staying in the mountains (when you have to get back to work).

Then, all of a sudden, the rear end of the Land Rover decided it was jealous of the front, and started catching up. Understand that Land Rovers aren't that stable at speed, with water (or snow) on the road.

I tried to correct (careful to not over-correct), but turning had no effect. I might as well have been on solid black ice. :-( I just had time to yell "hold on, we're going over", and we went over.

We ended up on our top, after spinning 3/4 of the way around, in the median.

We could have bought the big one in so many ways I won't list them.

Good news: nobody physically hurt, and lots of nice people stopped and helped us! We had to wait 2 friggin' hours for the tow truck -- the police never did show up. (I talked to them, and they said "we ain't comin!").

Here's a pic of the Rover. Doesn't really show the damage, like the puddle of oil in the median, nor the fact that the key won't come out and it's stuck in park (which makes towing it interesting).

Bottom line: if you have a big ol' SUV (like I used to have :)), slow down in the snow or end up like we did! I'm drivin' a darn micro-rental around for who knows-how-long!

BTW --- we had a Thule bike rack on the back, with two kind-of-expensive bikes, and the only damage was one wheel getting taco-ed and the bike rack getting bent. I doubt we would have been so lucky with a roof rack. Just a data point.
WOW man. We too came back in that lovely weather. Gotta love 80 in Moab on Saturady, slight drizzle in Moab on Sunday, and a foot or more of snow trying to get over the pass. A 5 hour drive became 8.5. Sorry about your car, but glad to hear you came out unscathed. What age bracket are you in? My Sport debut was not near as nice as your awesome 4th place finish! Congrats on a great job on a cool course.

See if you recognize any of the pics on the race report

C ya in Nathrop!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.