Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if they're idiots.
Sadly there are way too many half ass shops that we would be better off without. If they were gone the remaining, quality dealers would be more profitable and stronger. If a store manager hires incompetent help to serve me he doesn't deserve my business. If that manager doesn't monitor his employees and make sure they are taking good care of their customers, that store deserves to fold.

Conversely, if you can find a good shop with competent help that wants to take good care of their customers and takes pride in their business, go out of your way to patronize and promote them.

If you haven't guessed I had some bad experience at some local bike shops today. I really try to support the local guys, but today I came home after wasting too much of my day at the local bike shops and mail ordered what I needed. Experiences like that make me think of mail ordering as much as possible so I don't have to suffer the frustration of trying to buy locally.:madman:

In this weak economy, too many of the players in the bike biz are their own worst enemy!

·
nocturnal oblivion
2,331 Posts
Agreed. There seems to be a higher ratio of ******bagism in the bike shop industry. I listened to an employee the other day tell a customer who was looking for a Yeti (and who hardly spoke English), the employees response: "I don't sell crap. I sell Santa Cruz." I was dumbfounded. Completely unsubstantiated and misleading against a helpless guy.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Luckily I have 3 to choose from here in Harrisburg. I go to Pedal Pushers for any shop or parts needs. If I were to buy an entire bike I would go to Holmes Cycle, and I would never shop at In Gear. Today I picked up some tire levers and a shock pump from Pedal Pushers. I could have bought online and saved $5, but when I called to see if they had shock pumps in stock they did not. They told me the pumps will be in on Friday, but I was more than welcome to stop in and use their pump. If I ordered online I would have had to wait a couple days to ride my new (used) bike.

I go out of my way to support them.

·
spec4life???..smh...
1,091 Posts
The biggest problem I have is the difference in price...I make it a point to go to the LBS for small stuff where the price gap should be minimal and save buying larger items for online..

Today though I went by to pick a replacement seat binder bolt i broke and the shop charged me 5 bucks for 2 mins of time and a bolt...I can buy a whole new seat post online for 10..:skep:

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
spec4life said:
The biggest problem I have is the difference in price...I make it a point to go to the LBS for small stuff where the price gap should be minimal and save buying larger items for online..

Today though I went by to pick a replacement seat binder bolt i broke and the shop charged me 5 bucks for 2 mins of time and a bolt...I can buy a whole new seat post online for 10..:skep:
maybe that's why you're breaking bolts?

·
Underskilled
4,714 Posts
Most bikeshops seem to be worthless, the gems need supporting.
Bike Outlet in York is one of the only places in the entire city of York I would give my bike to and know it would be fixed properly.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have a bit of an issue with the title, although I get the joke, but it may drive people away. I completely see your point. I am old fashioned (AND just plain old, can it with the jokes, and get off my lawn!), so I very much prefer a local shop, face to face interaction, all that. I am prepared to pay the slight premium for having that vs shopping online. But sometimes I get really confused about how they do business. The other day I go into a nice looking local shop. The guy greets me at the door and pretty much refuses to even let me in until I tell him how much I am willing to spend on a bike. Well, good afternoon to you too, and I am very happy with my new online purchase! I have experienced this in a number of other types of shops, and you just have to shop around until you find the right one. Pressure and "tell me how much money you are prepared to spend" mean my business go elsewhere. Friendly advice and feeling like they want my business long term makes me go back and drop a lot of dough over the years. You'd think it would be simple to get, but apparently not for everyone.

·
It is what it is.
145 Posts
After reading constantly on MTBR how I should support my LBS. I decided to see if my LBS would price match on a tool I wanted. I called them and asked if they had it in stock. They did. I asked how much. $24. I asked if they would match the price of $19 that I found online. The actual price online was $18.72 shipped 2nd day air. I just rounded up and even knew that I would have to pay an extra 9% sales tax. My LBS said they would sell me one for $19. Feeling happy, I drove to my LBS where they had the tool sitting out waiting for me. I was thinking, this is pretty good service. I reminded the guy that I spoke to on the phone of the $19 price which he acknowledged. Same guy rings me up, but charges me $19.99 plus tax. I didn't say anything, I just paid and walked out. Sure, it was only 99 cents, but I will not buy anything from them again. They had a chance to earn a customer, but instead reminded me of why I buy everything online.

·
Registered
37 Posts
First post. :)

I have three local bike shops here in Germantown MD.
I get tubes at them, but that is it. Ordered and paid for a Thule 4 bake carrier at one shop, went in a weel later to pick it up and they forgot to order it. Just called another one of our local shops the other day to ask about a FS 29er, guy told me that was a fad they do not carry them anymore. O-o

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a lot of bike shops to chose from near me... A LOT! I shop at 2 of them.

Want my money...
Treat my well
Treat my friends well
Have stock
Accept my club discount (10%)
Be friendly
Be helpful
Save the day when possible
Educate me - even when I am not buying at the moment (I may/probably will soon enough)
If I am buying NUUN or a new bike, it should not matter how I am treated.
I expect to pay more then online, but don't beat me to much.

Am I expecting to much? Nope. I am expecting what I want and being that it is my money and I chose where and how I spend it, a LBS needs to earn it. The ones that do not, well I don't care.

·
Registered
40 Posts
very true. the thing about educating whether I buy at that moment or not is right on the money. Make a customer feel comfortable in your store and they will return often.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
davedg said:
After reading constantly on MTBR how I should support my LBS. I decided to see if my LBS would price match on a tool I wanted. I called them and asked if they had it in stock. They did. I asked how much. $24. I asked if they would match the price of $19 that I found online. The actual price online was $18.72 shipped 2nd day air. I just rounded up and even knew that I would have to pay an extra 9% sales tax. My LBS said they would sell me one for $19. Feeling happy, I drove to my LBS where they had the tool sitting out waiting for me. I was thinking, this is pretty good service. I reminded the guy that I spoke to on the phone of the $19 price which he acknowledged. Same guy rings me up, but charges me $19.99 plus tax. I didn't say anything, I just paid and walked out. Sure, it was only 99 cents, but I will not buy anything from them again. They had a chance to earn a customer, but instead reminded me of why I buy everything online.
You are angry over 99 cents? It is this logic that has destroyed american manufacturing. Pay the extra and help your community. :madman: :madman: :madman:

·
since 4/10/2009
32,507 Posts
davedg said:
Oh, wah. You're lucky they were willing to drop their price at all. Most businesses I've been to will not price match with the internet. They will only price match if the internet business has a brick&mortar store in the area (like a Performance, for example, that has lots of shops). You got a good deal, quit whining.

I once went into a shop years ago, looking for a BOB trailer. None of my local shops had any in stock. NEITHER would order me one. WTF? I was willing to drop a few hundred bucks on the spot, and neither shop wanted my money? Good an excuse as any to buy on the internet. Same shop took MONTHS to install a new fork for my friend. They spent about a month or so just to get to it in the first place. When they finally did, they cut the steerer too short, and had to order him a new fork. They did get him a better fork than the one he originally had, but it took them FOREVER to get the job done. And a fork install isn't exactly one of those things that takes forever, either. It's too bad my buddy wasn't in the position to do it himself.

THOSE are the sorts of issues that indicate a poorly-run shop. Not the kind of story you relate.

·
The White Jeff W
5,707 Posts
This is from a hockey board but applies here as well...

Cheap Guy - Do you Have XX gloves?

ME - Yes let me help you with a size
(fitting intermission)

Cheap Guy - ill take them, but the internet has them $30 dollars cheaper, so youll match that

ME - well if i knew i was going to give you internet pricing, i would have provided internet service

(dumbfounded look)

ME - lets try this, ill show you a picture of gloves, not let you try them on, say nothing, and get your credit card number, charge you $4.95 handling, and $12.95 shipping, and you can pick these up in a week.

Cheap Guy - well i need them today

ME - OVERNIGHT SHIPPING! add $24.95 to that!

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
I think posting about a bad LBS experience on MTBR is a little ineffective since we are all so spread out, and most lkely, most of us won't be going to whatever shop you have beef with. Go to YELP for these types of things - and I think it will be more effective that way. Your locals will read your post and let them be the judge of it.

That being said, the best protection you can have against this kind of baggery is to be a somewhat bike nerd yourself. When I go into the bike shop, I come pretty equipped with knowledge, reviews, wrenching already behind me so I can just get in, get out. This works especially well with "big box" bike shops, like Performance. I think they are more retail oriented than gear head oriented and hire "sales associates" instead of gear heads. I dont have a problem with that, I just won't be asking any complex questions. Conversely, extreme gear heads can get a little elitist, too.

·
Registered
625 Posts
jeffw-13 said:
This is from a hockey board but applies here as well...

Cheap Guy - Do you Have XX gloves?

ME - Yes let me help you with a size
(fitting intermission)

Cheap Guy - ill take them, but the internet has them $30 dollars cheaper, so youll match that

ME - well if i knew i was going to give you internet pricing, i would have provided internet service

(dumbfounded look)

ME - lets try this, ill show you a picture of gloves, not let you try them on, say nothing, and get your credit card number, charge you $4.95 handling, and $12.95 shipping, and you can pick these up in a week.

Cheap Guy - well i need them today

ME - OVERNIGHT SHIPPING! add $24.95 to that!
Love it!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I've got one general use bike shop that's close to my house that I buy general items from that the prices are the same no matter where you would go. Tubes, tires, etc... And I have a regular one owner/one location bike shop that I go to for major items cause I've spent money there before, they know me by name, give me a discount cause I've spent money there, and just I like the general feel, atmosphere, and the way I see they treat other customers... :)

Tails

·
It is what it is.
145 Posts
Vespasianus said:
You are angry over 99 cents? It is this logic that has destroyed american manufacturing. Pay the extra and help your community. :madman: :madman: :madman:
I'm not angry about 99 cents. It doesn't matter if it's 99 cents or 99 dollars. The point is I tried to support my LBS, they quote me one price and charge another. If they would have told me on the phone they couldn't sell for less that 19.99, I would have bought it anyway. Which I did by the way.

No, the government has killed American manufacturing by making it more expensive to operate in the United States through taxes and regulation.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts