Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be in Durango this September for one day, what would be the trail I would want to ride. I live in the east in a very mountainy region and I ride fairly rough trails. What trails should I ride??

·
Registered
303 Posts
motobutane said:
I'm gonna be in Durango this September for one day, what would be the trail I would want to ride. I live in the east in a very mountainy region and I ride fairly rough trails. What trails should I ride??
September? Kennbec Pass to town on the Colorado Trail.

·
Not-quite-geezer RVer
243 Posts
Hermosa said:
September? Kennbec Pass to town on the Colorado Trail.
Come on now, he has a whole day ... feed him the whole enchilada: DGO->Kennebec->DGO! (Pisgah people like to suffer, right? ;) )

Moto, if you do Kennebec, consider at least starting from Hesperus or Mayday if you don't do the mega loop from town. Seriously, you'll never grumble about Clawhammer again after conquering that jeep road up to Kennebec. :D

Oh, and if we're takling Pisgah-esque sufferfests with Rocky Mountain scenery, do some googling for Jones/Pinkerton/Flagstaff/Dutch/Hermosa and see if that floats your boat.

Have fun out there.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FoldsInHalf said:
Come on now, he has a whole day ... feed him the whole enchilada: DGO->Kennebec->DGO! (Pisgah people like to suffer, right? ;) )

Moto, if you do Kennebec, consider at least starting from Hesperus or Mayday if you don't do the mega loop from town. Seriously, you'll never grumble about Clawhammer again after conquering that jeep road up to Kennebec. :D

Oh, and if we're takling Pisgah-esque sufferfests with Rocky Mountain scenery, do some googling for Jones/Pinkerton/Flagstaff/Dutch/Hermosa and see if that floats your boat.

Have fun out there.
Your right I do grumble about Clawhammer,Pisgah seems like its 75% climbs and 25% downhill. I will be in the area of Durango to Moab,Utah. for 2 weeks, but only around Durango for 2 days.Thanks for the info. I ride 48s Pennyfarthington

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
shoulderfu said:
Second that cbrossman,although you cant go wrong w/either ride.Stay away from hermosa creek,should you be considering it...Way overrated.
Can I change my vote now? Cascade Divide Road->CO Trail->Bolam Pass->Black Hawk Pass->dirt road

·
Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
983 Posts
Why isn't anyone throwing out Molas to Cascade. That's the money ride for a number of reasons, especially if they get a few of the re-routes put in.

Then, there's also Blackhawk Pass.

In my opinion the Kenebec ride is just as good from Champion Ventures road (as opposed to the pass) to town. You're only missing ~2 miles of trail and the shuttle is a hell of a lot easier.

Hey Brossman, when are we skiin' again. The other day at Wolfie was definatly rated "E".

·
Currywurst
528 Posts
gotta say that Molas ride is schweet as well...the kennebec shuttle is totaly worth it...Singletack, Hank the Spacecowboy and a bunch of others did it this last summer....awesome, but the shuttle is kinda a pita

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
bones get broke said:
Crap, I just noticed that Brossman beat me to the Molas ride. :madman:

I'll bet that I'm gonna hear about that any minute now.
Just an honest mistake on your part big guy. I'd feel a whole lot different if you were not from Alaska ... and I expected more.
Now if Kelder had made the same mistake I might feel different, I have higher expectations for him, though not that much higher.

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
motobutane, you mentioned your trails are rocky.

Well be prepared for epic here. Lots of huge views, steep grinding--and sometimes punishing--climbs, steep descents and all at altitude. Yes and there are some rock gardens.

Most of the trails mentioned make for a long day. You won't really have a lot of time to screw around renting bikes too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.