Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Singletrack Addict
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't get really justify driving out of town alone to ride MTB. Looking for someone to carpool tomorrow, Monday 7/7 to ride either up on The Hood, or possibly look into Falls Creek over in Washington. Otherwise I'm probably riding on the road (don't make me do it).

I live in northeast Portland and have room for at least 3 with bikes.

PM or reply here. It's prime mountain bike season, let's ride!

-Charlie

·
Singletrack Addict
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, so I cheated and drove myself out to Three Corner Rock alone. Took the wife's Honda as rationale. It's 37 miles and takes about 50 minutes to drive from my house.

Unfortunately, even though I was feeling good and climbing strong, the many, many downed trees impeded the summit.
This trail is still in need of a lot of work above Stebbins Creek. The carnage is surreal.
Trees shattered apart 40 feet up, the tops a jumbled heap across the trail, sometimes bringing lesser trees down with it.

(sorry about picture quality)

It's a mess.

I would love to get back up there again Monday with a saw and some loppers to make just a little progress. If we leave early enough, we could be back for the short track races.

I made this skinny over a couple downed trees, it sorta teeters.

I've been doing a little research on line to find out who, how and when this trail might get some attention. It is part of the Washington State Department of Natural Resouces and is within the Yacolt State Burn Forest. I have left messages with various persons and sent a few emails. I am hoping to possibly get involved with repairing and maintaining this trail because it is relatively close and offers pretty excellent challenging mountain biking. We were up there earlier this year with hand tools and made some progress, but what we encountered above the creek is no match for my puny saw.

I did run across this survey. It seems they are drafting a Ten Year Recreation Plan. If you have ridden Three Corner Rock or plan on it, please take a few minutes to fill out the survey.

Happy Trails,
Charlie

·
Registered
95 Posts
We came in from the topend via the road three weeks ago. Still a few snow crossings but I imagine they're gone by now. TONs of downed trees tho'. Haven't heard any reports on conditions from the Rock down to the road crossing, but it's probably not pretty.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I did not expect the amount of "carnage" that I saw last weekend.Thank you for the pictures.Hand saw's won't put much of a dent in what is going on up there.I figure that the last climb is in bad shape...I did not consider attempting it.I did fill out the survey.Thank you for the link.What does anyone know about Ape Canyon / Smith Creek?I think that I am going this weekend.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the info on 3CR. My wife and I rode a portion of the trail below the creek and found sections a bit over grown. I hope that this great trail gets some much needed attention. I also re-posted the link to the survey on the PUMP website.

·
Singletrack Addict
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies and filling out the survey.

I finally heard back from someone at the DNR and the woman responsible for recreation and coordinating volunteers is on vacation and won't be back until Monday. I will wait until I can speak with her about the possibility of organizing a work party to get up there before I resort to the futility of hand tools.

poppa#1 said:
I did not expect the amount of "carnage" that I saw last weekend.Thank you for the pictures.Hand saw's won't put much of a dent in what is going on up there.I figure that the last climb is in bad shape...I did not consider attempting it.I did fill out the survey.Thank you for the link.What does anyone know about Ape Canyon / Smith Creek?I think that I am going this weekend.
From the various views around town, the snow on the flanks of St Helens look to be receding rapidly:thumbsup:
But I would guess there still could be some drifts tucked into the folds and shadows. You'd think that it should be clear by July, but I'm not sure I'm ready to commit the driving/gas to find out.

I have Sundays-Mondays for weekends and have kids and wife's soccer schedules to navigate. Mondays are usually good ride days; Sundays can be negotiated.

My regular ever-shrinking crew of ride buddies have either left town, had a baby, out for triathlons, have daddy-duty or lost the ride vibe.

How's your ride vibe?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hopefully someone'll clear that road first. Be a long ways to haul saws otherwise.

I'm stoked to ride, but I've got ski trips planned for these next two weekends and a family backpacking trip in the N. Cascades the two after that. Probably gonna be a short biking season for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.