Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
For shorts I've had great success buying thin, breathable and stretchy outdoor/hiking shorts with belt loops, and wearing them over the top of good multi-panel roadie shorts. The outers I got from Costco for $15 a piece but you can find them almost anywhere. The roadie shorts I usually get from Aero Tech Designs, great US-made shorts whose best are usually 60 or 70 bucks. My third grade math tells me that is $75-85 per, and that is for outstanding quality stuff. These companies charging $180 for a simple lined breathable cargo short and calling it MTB shorts can go chug a bag, it's a ridiculous amount of money.
Thanks for the info. I have plenty of good roadie shorts and sometimes do wear them under baggies.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Yeah but old people are so persnickety.

I just wanted to work “persnickety” into the conversation cuz oldsters love it.
=sParty

P.S. @Rev Bubba, I’m with you on the belt loop thing.

P.P.S. @D. Inoobinati, Phizer makes a blue pill that fixes everything. Last summer @Scott O had a big party (he forgot to invite the wimmins) and showed us his quart jar full o’ them pills… but nobody to use ‘em on.
Persnickety? Good word but in all the writing I've done, I've never had a reason to use it.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It's not rocket science, it's discipline. Write out your budget, get out of debt, build an emergency fund, start saving/investing for your future. The only people you screw in the process are the credit card companies :D

It's the "must be nice syndrome." I have a few really nice bikes and some people will look at them, then at their cobbled-together bikes that are a third of the price, and say, "Must be nice," as if the money to buy the nicer bike was handed to me by some cabal of middle-aged, white-privileged, illuminati. It's not like that. I'm moderately successful but the idea that success came easily is ludicrous. We also have problems that a lot of you younger people have not experienced and maybe never will. Some of these problems are existential and career-ending which is extremely stressful if you are in your late fifties and should be slowing down a little.

I see young people on the trails on really nice bikes and just admire the bikes without getting jealous or constructing jealous fantasies.

·
Cycologist
8,930 Posts
Right where my pension was supposed to be
I'm a boomer and pensions for the average worker have been long gone. But, the small company I work for was purchased a few years ago and we now have an ESOP, which is where employees are given stock in the company every year (it cannot be purchased) and I consider myself extremely fortunate. I don't have enough years left for it to really kick in with compounding but for younger workers who stick with the company, they can retire with a million dollars without having put a single cent in. We also have a 401k but with only 2% matching.

Reactions: Rev Bubba

·
Combat Wombat
1,719 Posts
I'm a boomer and pensions for the average worker have been long gone. But, the small company I work for was purchased a few years ago and we now have an ESOP, which is where employees are given stock in the company every year (it cannot be purchased) and I consider myself extremely fortunate. I don't have enough years left for it to really kick in with compounding but for younger workers who stick with the company, they can retire with a million dollars without having put a single cent in. We also have a 401k but with only 2% matching.
That sounds great. It almost sounds like that company is trying to give workers a reason to stay with the company for the long haul.

·
Registered
14,480 Posts
I employed bar ends for over 25 years — finally gave them up this past spring due to the stigma.
I like bar ends, but wider bars and tight trails made them dangerous. If they snag on something it meant a sudden dramatic turn and crash. :eek:

Back when we were running 620mm bars it was a nice accessory.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
Older riders need to not ***** so much. We have more choices for everything now then we ever had. Make do with what's available and ride on.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Amen to all of that. I'm 72 and since March 31, I've put in 127 days riding mountain and road and almost 100k climbing and 2000 miles. As far as shoes, I switched to flats a couple years ago and my 5/10's fit fine and I'm still enjoying my Sidi road shoes that are probably 15 years old. Now shorts, on the other hand, are a major issue. Does anyone still make them with belt loops that go all the way around. Velcro doesn't cut it and I am tired of them riding down on me as I ride hard. Roadie shorts, on the other hand, are not a problem.

Anyway, gotta' run. I have a picket line I need to join.......
I mostly wear Columbia convertable pants for riding with Sugoi mtb padded undershorts. They do have belt loops and many companies now make them. I like them because they are warm enough for a cold morning and shorten as it gets hotter. The legs zip off and fold into a small packet that I store in leg pockets supplied for that purpose. Convertables are also good for overgrown trails and resist berry vines etc much better than human epidermis. Moreover, they can also help with the dreaded star thistle!

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
I mostly wear Columbia convertable pants for riding with Sugoi mtb padded undershorts. They do have belt loops and many companies now make them. I like them because they are warm enough for a cold morning and shorten as it gets hotter. The legs zip off and fold into a small packet that I store in leg pockets supplied for that purpose. Convertables are also good for overgrown trails and resist berry vines etc much better than human epidermis. Moreover, they can also help with the dreaded star thistle!
Thanks for the advice. We live near a very good independent sporting goods store where I can probably find these. I can use my Voler* road shorts under them.

*Made in USA or Canada and sold on-line. I can vouch for their fit and quality.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Shoes. As people get older, arches fail (from abuse in my case) and feet get longer and wider. At this point, the only shoes that fit at all comfortably are some of the Lake shoes that come in a wide. We need an assortment of widths to fit older feet and there are a lot of older riders - just hit the trails on a weekday and you'll see us.

Anyone got anything to add to this list?
Yes! Wider shoes, specifically SPD compatible! Or at least more to choose from. For me (and I'm sure many others), this has been an issue not only as we age, but also at younger ages. I've always wondered why bike shoe makers assume everyone only have narrow feet.

As for other suggestions... I think there are workarounds for most things. At least in my experience. I've been making what I'd consider age driven adjustments starting at ~50. (I'm 60 now) Made a couple of bar/stem swaps, I tend to keep my seat a little lower that I used to, etc. Little stuff like that. I haven't run into any age related adjustments I couldn't remedy with what's available. At least not yet.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,990 Posts
Reactions: EKram

·
Registered
Keep things simple
429 Posts
Yup. I have Lakes when I clip in. Plenty good room in toe box.

Why are any shoes always great for people with narrower feet? I’ve read plenty of reviews where the narrow feet people complain about bike their shoes. Must be manufacturing based on some specs from a plastic mannequin. Maybe the beancounters like the narrow stuff as less materials are used to make narrow shoes hence…..

I spend on comfort.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,990 Posts
Sock manufacturers?
I have EE feet, needing a high volume toe-box, a relatively narrow heal, and a high and long arch. Buying shoes has always sucked. Socks are OK.

• Sad
Reactions: Nat

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I have EE feet, needing a high volume toe-box, a relatively narrow heal, and a high and long arch. Buying shoes has always sucked. Socks are OK.
Yup....just realized I'm getting a bunion and that bish hurts after a long day in my bike shoes.

·
Registered
457 Posts
"Does anyone still make them with belt loops that go all the way around."

Zoic makes a lot of them.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts