Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 182 Posts

·
This place needs an enema
16,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought y'all might be interested in the first prototype of a 29" DH bike from Devin Lenz.

* 175mm travel on both ends.
* 14.25" BB height.
* 65.5* HTA.
* 17.25" CS.
* 6 speed, 13-28 cassette.
* 38.5# as pictured.

I've got about 6 hours on it so far, and should be able to get another 6 or 8 the next few days. Then it's off to Whistler where the real work (um, I mean testing) begins...

MC

·
newie
191 Posts
that's nuts, is there really that many bonuses to a 29er? isn't it just increasing the chance that you'll obliterate your wheels?

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
why 6 speed cassette? Other than that it sounds completely normal :skep:

What rims and tires are you using?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Well if you have ever ridden a 29er you would know how easy it just goes over things. With a DH bike at high speed I can see a advantage to have a 29 front wheel. As for rear wheel not sure. 69er!

·
GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
3,842 Posts
That looks sick! Does bear a striking resemblance to a Trek Session, but that's not a bad thing. I'd love to try that, any at interbike?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
how ya been man? long time.

gotta admit, im skeptical of those big ass wheels on a dh rig for a few reasons. i wont blast it not havin tried it but yer gonna have to sell me. the hoop question is a good 1 but what about tires? thats gotta be a real hurdle at this time. looks like ya have some kinda xc-ish lookin proto rubber. i know kenda does the nev in a 2.2 29'er but not many guys can get away with small volume 1 ply tires.

all the best to you and the lenz crew on this project. i know youll put it through the ringer and have a blast doin it. enjoy the wizz.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
NoahColorado said:
Does bear a striking resemblance to a Trek Session
totally! except for the geo, top tube. seat tube, rockers. stays, rear pivot, main pivot, floating shock config, 12x150 axle, wheels and tires, gearing....... well, they are both black. mostly anyway.

just bustin yer balls old pal.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
I smell fresh tacos!

Sorry, I usually don't post such crap, but I have a hard enough time keeping my 26 inch wheels straight. I don't think this is for me...

·
Still a child inside...
844 Posts
maybe it's nice to roll over things easier, but the extra height it gives is makes the steep descents/downhills more scary...

·
This place needs an enema
16,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Adrien said:
that's nuts, is there really that many bonuses to a 29er? isn't it just increasing the chance that you'll obliterate your wheels?
I don't think it's for everyone, but the ride quality is different enough that I suspect that a large percentage of those that can *actually try one* will get it. They still may not buy one, but at least they'll get it.

Flystagg said:
why 6 speed cassette? Other than that it sounds completely normal :skep:

What rims and tires are you using?
Forgot to mention that the rear hub is a 12 x 150 w/Maxle. So the wheel is dishless to begin with, BUT it also uses a SS freehub body (thus the 6 cogs), so the flange spacing is MASSIVE.

That means a burly, burly, burly rear wheel without added weight. I'm sure someone can kill it, but it's going to take some doing.

Rims are Salsa Gordo's, tires are proto WTB dual ply 2.6's.

NoahColorado said:
That looks sick! I'd love to try that, any at interbike?
Should be at least one at Interbike, but you can try it locally sooner...

cactuscorn said:
gotta admit, im skeptical of those big ass wheels on a dh rig for a few reasons. i wont blast it not havin tried it but yer gonna have to sell me.
I'm not big on giving sales pitches. One lap down a good, fun, steep, chunky hill and you'll know whether it's for you or not.

I spent the day on Saturday doing laps with a big group. Everyone was curious about it, and I had to resort to being a d!ck to people to get my bike back! Everyone that rode it raved about the smoothness and bottomlessness, and every single person was reluctant to go back to their own bikes. Several of this group were self-proclaimed "29" skeptics" and every single one of them came away impressed and wanting to ride it again.

Uncle Cliffy said:
I have a hard enough time keeping my 26 inch wheels straight. I don't think this is for me...
Definitely isn't for everyone.

Worth mentioning--I've been experimenting for years on my own bikes, plus building oodles of 29" wheels for clydes the past 6 years. I've found a few good formulas to solve 'the wheel problem' for most folks. They're a lot burlier than most folks would believe, including a few of the 250# guys that piloted this bike yesterday.

I've been riding a similar (but lighter) set on my 6 x 6 29" bike for the last year locally and on all of the regional chunkfests.

(not all of me, but all are the same wheelset...)

I've dented both rims and needed to do minor truing, but they're still round (except for the dents) and true, with good tension.

We'll see how long this set lasts--I can always go burlier with a set of Kris Holm rims.

G'night.

MC

·
FeeRideRules
217 Posts
I'm not a fan of curved tube frames, however, your bike does look good.

·
Seeeriously easy Livin
1,863 Posts
Sounds like its all downhill worthy kit on that bike, I was getting a little tired of the fake 29" dh bikes that have been popping up (niner wfo).

·
check your six
4,181 Posts
Interesting.... I'd like to try one someday.. I think it would be fun, at least.

·
Shred...it's the new drug
3,844 Posts
We had a rider in AZ who built up one of thoe LENZ DH 29rs with hopes of surviving the rigors of the DH world, she was a devoted 29r rider and hoped that it would fit the bill for the DH appetite. Well, to say after struggling with it Whistler she has since ordered and recieved a DHR and has ripped at least 3 0r 4 days on it in the last week and keeps begging for more. You can read about it on this thread here. HERE! Not doggin the LENZ, but I don't think I'll ever be swinging a leg over a 29r. Good luck with the wagon wheels...

·
Pivoteer
3,445 Posts
latedropbob said:
We had a rider in AZ who built up one of thoe LENZ DH 29rs with hopes of surviving the rigors of the DH world, she was a devoted 29r rider and hoped that it would fit the bill for the DH appetite. Well, to say after struggling with it Whistler she has since ordered and recieved a DHR and has ripped at least 3 0r 4 days on it in the last week and keeps begging for more. You can read about it on this thread here. HERE! Not doggin the LENZ, but I don't think I'll ever be swinging a leg over a 29r. Good luck with the wagon wheels...
Funny you say that, I was in Whistler with her. She never felt comfortable on her Lenz. On Friday she hopped on a RM Flatline and was amazed at how well the bike felt. The lower BB, the tires, suspension, and geometry just made her comfortable. She was going on and on about how well it cornered and "just rolled over stuff".

Needless to say, she was hitting stuff she never thought possible, and she was only on the bike for a few hours. I asked her how many times she has ridden her 29er since the DHR and I got a "I rode it to work today" answer. Funny thing is that we were giving her crap about her 29er earlier in the week.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I'm sure the responses in this thread are going to get a lot nastier as the day wears on, given the usual response to the 29er DH bike concept on this board.

I just think it's funny that people think 26" wheels are the be-all end-all standard. Bike tech is always moving forward and it doesn't seem that farfetched to me to think that someone could make a set of DH worthy 29" wheels.

1 - 20 of 182 Posts