Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you been saving two years and finally threw down the scratch on a new ride. after several rides you feel the bar is too high, so you instal the stem below the spacer(s). now it feels great so you lop off the rest of the steerer tube. :nono: now you want to change stems but the new taller and the cap screw cant reach the star nut :confused:

now lets say you put together a free-ride duelly, but you now want to transfer the fork to a jump frame (this is what i'm dealin with) and find it wont work cause the headtube is longer. :madman: my only options are to get a new fork:( or send it in and get the steerer replaced.

so dont chop your tube!
just move the spacers around
when instaling a new fork, leave some extra (1 cm)
you'll thank yourself later

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
Crash_Monkey said:
you been saving two years and finally threw down the scratch on a new ride. after several rides you feel the bar is too high, so you instal the stem below the spacer(s). now it feels great so you lop off the rest of the steerer tube. :nono: now you want to change stems but the new taller and the cap screw cant reach the star nut :confused:

now lets say you put together a free-ride duelly, but you now want to transfer the fork to a jump frame (this is what i'm dealin with) and find it wont work cause the headtube is longer. :madman: my only options are to get a new fork:( or send it in and get the steerer replaced.

so dont chop your tube!
just move the spacers around
when instaling a new fork, leave some extra (1 cm)
you'll thank yourself later
Yep, learned this lesson years ago.

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
There are times I wish I did not have an inch of spacers above the stem. Mostly it is just after I almost made it over the bars :cryin:

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,768 Posts
Uhhh, Spacers Over The Stem?

No Thanks!

When installing a new fork I put it in the headset/headtube, then install the stem flush to the headset, mark, then cut. Throw either a 2mm or 5 mm spacer under the stem durring final install and I'm good.

·
In exile
542 Posts
I am borrowing a fork right now with a 3' steerer tube. It drives me nuts, but it's nice Wumpus loaned it to me. I will likely raise mine up when my fork is back from warranty. There won't be more than a 10mm stack on top though. I wish I had more on the urban bike, but when you buy used, or trade forks, people can't seem to tell the truth about length. Maybe they just can't read rulers. I don't know.

·
conjoinicorned
3,525 Posts
Why? are you looking to save 10 grams on your AM ride?
some of us prefer to install a fork for the intended bike, not some future bike (a future bike deserves a future fork!). i don't want 2 inches of steer tube looking me in the face either.

and believe me, it's more than 10 grams... ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.