Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
~~~~~~~
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, i'm now ten minutes, not 200 meters from the trailhead, but its not so bad here in Tucson. Here are some early morning pics from the local park that is just west of town. The trails are rocky, technical, lots and lots of sharp things everywhere and a few really sandy washes. its close and beautiful- just get started before 7 am right now.
 

Attachments

·
~~~~~~~
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup. we're wildcats now. we are definitely lacking a few things here- one being really good food. two being tolerable day time temperatures without lots and lots of water- but what it lacks it makes up for in january and with tons of trails and roadway.

i have a really big ride planned for tuesday- starts with a 17 mile 4,100 foot climb- followed by 23 miles of mostly descending. i'll post a report.
 

·
ballbuster
Joined
·
12,718 Posts
Mt. Lemon?

Dirt_Diggler said:
so, i'm now ten minutes, not 200 meters from the trailhead, but its not so bad here in Tucson. Here are some early morning pics from the local park that is just west of town. The trails are rocky, technical, lots and lots of sharp things everywhere and a few really sandy washes. its close and beautiful- just get started before 7 am right now.
I was just out there a few weeks ago for work. I drove up to Mt Lemon just to take in the view. Nice scenery.
 

·
-_-
Joined
·
4,749 Posts
LMAO.."It buy's Stan's Sealant!" ;)

The Pear's lookin great, good to hear how you're doing! Ya traitor! :D Pm me if/when you're back in the area so we can hit up Alpine or something. Last time you came through I was on my way out of that shop and back to finish up school.

About the food thing, yeah, been there. If I had the money and a solid demographics sheet I would consider opening up a Mom/Pop Restaurant..with a bike shop in Back!

Call it "PedalStoke", and make sure the coffee is always great and hot, so you can ride in the off hours when the temp's are just perfect and hit us back up for a end of ride meal.

Crap, just gave away my "master plan"...dammit. :thumbsup:
 

·
wretch
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
Yetman / Starr Pass has some great trails. I used to live in scottsdale for part of the year as well as atteneded U of A. Food. . . there's some good stuff hidden out there. I'll get a list together.You've also got a ton of other riding in Tucons as well as all sorts of options with in a 2 hour drive.

Check out Rosa's, Lil Abners, Daisy Mae's, and El Charro. . . Carne Aseca baby. . . unbelievable. For a good sports bar near campus check out Bob Dobbs, it's small, different, but good. It's packed for all the games.

And for a day trip drive to Nogales, park at the Burger King stateside and then walk across the border. Veer left and go across the train tracks and head for the cliff. There's a little street that runs parrallel to the base of the cliff / hillside and in there is a little gem called "La Roca". Best shrimp and margaritas I've ever had. It's truly a top notch restaurant in the middle of Nogales. Then there is the Pie you can get at the top of Mt. Lemmon. . . mmmm.

The AZ forum is really good, full of good info and nice riders,most of which though are based up in PHX area.

Enjoy.
 

·
orthonormal
Joined
·
5,037 Posts
Cafe Poca Cosa, downtown. Make dinner reservations a few days ahead of time.
 

·
~~~~~~~
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Truckee Trash said:
Check out Rosa's, Lil Abners, Daisy Mae's, and El Charro. . . Carne Aseca baby. . . unbelievable. For a good sports bar near campus check out Bob Dobbs, it's small, different, but good. It's packed for all the games.

And for a day trip drive to Nogales, park at the Burger King stateside and then walk across the border. Veer left and go across the train tracks and head for the cliff. There's a little street that runs parrallel to the base of the cliff / hillside and in there is a little gem called "La Roca". Best shrimp and margaritas I've ever had. It's truly a top notch restaurant in the middle of Nogales. Then there is the Pie you can get at the top of Mt. Lemmon. . . mmmm.

Enjoy.
I heard from a college roommate about Rosa's. Still haven't had time to go. Man, i woke up starving and all this talk of shrimp and margaritas is making me wish it were Friday afternoon.

Thanks everyone for the info- Cafe Poca Cosa- I'll definitely need to try that out too.

This is a pick of some of the wildlife around- Ring neck snake on Bug Springs trail- Mt Lemmon.
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
Good to see your stokage meter is pegged. That area is beautiful and bites back.

Have you made it to the Ostrich farm off 10 half way between Tucson and Phoenix, Pichaco Peak. Great place to pick up some eggs for a big ass omlette.
 

·
Urban Ninja
Joined
·
2,381 Posts
Dirt_Diggler said:
lots of sharp things everywhere
I remember when I moved to Phoenix and went for a ride out at South Mountain for the first time. I cut a corner too close and a cholla jumped into my leg. At the time I had no idea what it was and thought it was some kind of critter attacking my leg so I swat at it with my hand then it sticks to my hand and won't let go. I was totally freaking out! My buddy was laughing his a$$ off :skep: It is pretty funny now that I look back at it though.

AZ, was rough on my bikes. But the trails were great. I suggest carrying twice the number of tubes you did in NorCal.
 

·
Spin-stabilized
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
The desert is enchantingly beautiful indeed. Nice shots there. I'm partial to semi-arid riding but not full-time full-on desert riding. I kinda like the redwoods in the summer:D

Enjoy your stay and watch out for the sharp things. Some of them have barbs. Ouch!
 

Attachments

·
Weird huh?
Joined
·
2,286 Posts
Dirt_Diggler said:
yup. we're wildcats now. we are definitely lacking a few things here- one being really good food. two being tolerable day time temperatures without lots and lots of water- but what it lacks it makes up for in january and with tons of trails and roadway.

i have a really big ride planned for tuesday- starts with a 17 mile 4,100 foot climb- followed by 23 miles of mostly descending. i'll post a report.
Dirt,

I grew up in Tucson. More phenom single track than you can imagine. In summer, go early, and watch out for cholla and rattlesnakes.

Hope yer getting the monsoons now, although getting a bit late for that.

Best Mexican is the Crossroads restaurant. Down south near the dog track.

Cheers!
 

·
~~~~~~~
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jeng said:
I remember when I moved to Phoenix and went for a ride out at South Mountain for the first time. I cut a corner too close and a cholla jumped into my leg. At the time I had no idea what it was and thought it was some kind of critter attacking my leg so I swat at it with my hand then it sticks to my hand and won't let go. I was totally freaking out! My buddy was laughing his a$$ off :skep: It is pretty funny now that I look back at it though.

AZ, was rough on my bikes. But the trails were great. I suggest carrying twice the number of tubes you did in NorCal.
when i read that i started cracking up.

tough on bikes- definitely. not only am i carrying tubes- which i never did. i've doubled my sealant. i've also doubled my suspension- both where it is on the bike and the travel. from hardtail to 6.6 inch turner rfx.

cmdrpiffle- thanks for the info. yeah- really no monsoons this year- it was super dry which did make the transition a bit harder. rattlesnakes- i've caught two already. i'm kind of a snake freak- so when i see them i always pick them up. can't really explain the fascination, but i can tell you it doesn't make my girlfriend all that happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,230 Posts
Any of these yet?

Dirt_Diggler said:
rattlesnakes- i've caught two already. i'm kind of a snake freak- so when i see them i always pick them up.
Any of these yet? One grumpy lizard - saw him this late winter out above the 24 Hr of Old Pueblo course. There's some good riding out there above the OP area, on trail called "Stickman" and a couple others. Be sure to check out Oracle too.
Have you been out to Colossal Caves yet? There's a GREAT section of the Arizona Trail that runs through it! Tucson is fantastic in the winter! You picked a wonderful place to settle. I'm going to camp out there w/the bus again over the winter.
 

Attachments

·
too late to die young now
Joined
·
342 Posts
best of luck in your new 'digglers' (yep, weak sauce =)

looks cool, nice pics and i'm sure the riding is good, less people is a big plus ... but what a difference coming from the beautiful redwood canopy of ECDM to the desert ...

kudos to you for keeping positive. (imo - i couldn't do it)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,028 Posts
Felton_Flyer said:
best of luck in your new 'digglers' (yep, weak sauce =)

looks cool, nice pics and i'm sure the riding is good, less people is a big plus ... but what a difference coming from the beautiful redwood canopy of ECDM to the desert ...

kudos to you for keeping positive. (imo - i couldn't do it)
Where's traildoc when you need him...
 

·
aka baycat
Joined
·
8,480 Posts
Ty if you find your way to the Meet Rack ask God to brand you in the OBGYN chair and you get free drinks for life*




* I wish I was joking but had a few friends in my undergrad who did this.
 

·
~~~~~~~
Joined
·
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
baycat said:
Ty if you find your way to the Meet Rack ask God to brand you in the OBGYN chair and you get free drinks for life*




* I wish I was joking but had a few friends in my undergrad who did this.
that's a deal. when i was 19 we were branding cattle and i said something like "that can't hurt that bad, the cattle hardly flinch." too much testosterone and a few early morning coors lights lead to some really poor decision making and i ended up $100 richer and literally scarred for life.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top