Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered my 5.5 EVP. Is it just me or does anyone else feel inclined to upgrade to new high-end parts to match an intense frame's reputation and quality or do any of you just port over components from an older bike? I feel as if it would be a disgrace for me to put my 2003 Holzfeller cranks and BB into the frame when in reality it really deserves 2007 XTR's. Im sure most of you just put components on the bike that your comfortable with and have grown to love (with the exception of chains and other frame specific components.) I just think it should be noted that if you buy an Intense frame, you need to stick to the level of quality you have devoted yourself to, and should match equally rated components to truly get all of the potential out of yourself and the frame you choose to build with. It's like putting vinyl seats in a Ferrari when it only makes sense to put leather in it. Unless you really like those vinyl seats.... Anyone else share that "problem?"

·
Recovering
1,483 Posts
I'd rather drive a Ferrari with vinyl seats than a Chevy with leather ones.

Intense bikes are great platforms to upgrade as you can afford it, so start riding now with the parts you've got, and upgrade as you go...

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
jbogner said:
I'd rather drive a Ferrari with vinyl seats than a Chevy with leather ones.

Intense bikes are great platforms to upgrade as you can afford it, so start riding now with the parts you've got, and upgrade as you go...
hear hear...

·
Registered
13 Posts
i know how you feel, i transferred all of my parts accross to my new frame, and instantly felt that half of them were not "worthy"!!!
it still rides well though, so it will all do for now.
Dan :)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wayne's World: "Were not worthy!, Were not worthy!" -To put my current rig in perspective,
right now I have a Geo Metro with leather seats in it.... (K2 Attack 3.0 With all the usual goodies.) This thing has 130mm Marzocchi DJ2'S on it and the head tube angle is so out of whack, It feels like your riding a Schwinn Stingray with flat bars...

·
Registered
682 Posts
I always keep what works for me, whether it's a high or low end part.

IMO, No need to deck out the whole frame in the latest and greatest If the part works well, keep it.

My 5.5 is built up with a medley of parts. Some parts that might be considered low:
Avid mech disc
WTB Speed V saddle
Basic XT/717 wheelset
LX front der
OE Jamis stem
520 pedals
No name OE seatpost

At the same time I have nice stuff too:
XTR cranks, shifters, rear der
Jones H-Bar

·
Commit or eat sh!t
2,394 Posts
You need to match the components to the frame. When you get a Ferrari or Porsche, you don't put in K-mart parts or engine oil. But if your old parts are up to standards, I don't see why not.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Off topic...

FWIW, Mercedes still sells cars with vinyl seats...their fancy name for it is "MB Tex". I wish more car makers offered vinyl.

I'd rather take vinyl seats over leather seats. My g-friend's 91 BMW with vinyl seats looks better and has faired way better than my leather seats in my '97 Infiniti.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I think the best justice you can give any Intense bike is to RIDE it!
Doesn't matter whether the parts are LX or XTR, it's about enjoying the frame on the trail.

I'd say if you want to spend top dollar, get a good fork to match the suspension design. I find the Fox TALAS 140mm is a sweet fork to pair up with the 5.5 frame. After that - Easton bars or Price Point Sette bars - LX or XTR front derrailuer - it's the same result really because the geometry and VPP is still just as enjoyable and beneficial.

If you got the dough, then by all means build up that Intense and obsess over all the fun details and parts. But if you're wallet's thin after that frame purchase, just hang the parts from the donar bike and enjoy the ride.

·
Unfit Norwegian
1,260 Posts
Cable0guy said:
You need to match the components to the frame. When you get a Ferrari or Porsche, you don't put in K-mart parts or engine oil. But if your old parts are up to standards, I don't see why not.
A 5.5 would ride perfectly fine with Deore and Kalloy parts, but I agree it wouldn't be even remotely as fun. (To own and look at. It would be just as fun to ride.)

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
45,862 Posts
I think the bike deserves the high end componentry. But you should only upgrade to your budget. On another note I do beleive that an Intense should be red in color to match the companys original dedication to the sport. The same goes for a Ferrari, when you think of Ferrari you think red. Both companys originally only had red. But in later years have offered other colors.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dazed said:
A 5.5 would ride perfectly fine with Deore and Kalloy parts, but I agree it wouldn't be even remotely as fun. (To own and look at. It would be just as fun to ride.)
Well said.

No doubt sweet parts are fun to look at.

The original poster should take a look thru the 5.5 photo thread, lots of 5.5's built up every which way.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Go for it dude!

I say spend every frigging dollar you got on your bike. Tap that 401k you'll be too old to spend it anyway.That diamond ring the old lady wants forggaboutit.The 800.00 wheel set that makes your jaw drop you see them on line buy it. Pimp you ride out for shizzle if you don't why bother. You'll be glad you did:band:

·
Registered
327 Posts
Get a 5.5 frame and a WalMart Special and transfer the kit to the 5.5.

Viola' : brand new 5.5 for the price of the frame plus a hundred and thirty bucks and you can misrepresent and sell the extra frame on eBay for more than you paid for the whole bike.

Just kidding.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I have a great parts spec now. Vanilla R Forks, 1x9 XTR drivetrain, X-9 Rear deraill+ thumb shifters, Ritchey WCS Stem +Race Face Next SL h-bar, DT 240S Hubs on Velocity VXC, Tubeless.. I'm happy, even without that 5k in my wallet....

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
You gotta do what feels comfortable. If putting new bling parts on the frame "right now" floats your boat do it. If not, well then, don't. I'd definitely put a good high end fork on that 5.5. Like a Fox TALAS(100-120-140). After that, I'd upgrade as the wallet allows and as the jones for new parts hits.

·
Registered
7,698 Posts
sandan said:
You gotta do what feels comfortable. If putting new bling parts on the frame "right now" floats your boat do it. If not, well then, don't. I'd definitely put a good high end fork on that 5.5. Like a Fox TALAS(100-120-140). After that, I'd upgrade as the wallet allows and as the jones for new parts hits.
Oh yeah I forgot, make sure put a Chris King headset on that frame.

·
Higher Exploration
535 Posts
Heres my build for the (flat black) SS. It was originally supposed to be a "low cost" build.

Spinergy fall lines
XTR m970 Shifter, derailleur, sprockets, chain
Blue anodized Nokon cable housing (not pictured)
Blackspire chainrings
E.thirteen LG-1 guide
DMR EX-type cranks
Race Face X-type Diabolus BB
Easton flatboy pedals
T.H.E. MtnX Saddle
Thomson seatpost
Thomson 1.5 stem
Azonic b-52 bars
Hope moto v2's (not pictured)
Hope blue seatpost collar, brake rotors, bar doctors
Oury odi lock on grips

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.