Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ride On!
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I knew better, my chain broke a bit past the half-way point of a 20 miler.:madman: At least it was the master link that broke (pin came out) and I was able to put it back together, glad I did buy a multi-tool. Got me back most of the way before it broke for good. Going to have to remember to carry and extra one.

Here is my question: In this case is it a good idea to replace the chain or just get another master link? It was skipping on hills a bit before the chain broke, wandering if the chain might have been bent.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
It could be bent ,just look at it you should be able to tell. How many miles are on the chain? Skipping is uselly derailleur cable adjustment . Put a new link on it ,pedal it while watching the chain for bent links.That's easier with wheel in the air.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
Could be a worn out chain (not bent)
Bent gear (usually the large chainring)
Worn out gears
Derailleur not tuned properly.

If the chain is in good shape then just put a new master link in.

I carry a new master link and a derailleur hanger with me. Both are something most new riders fail to carry that often brake at the most inconvenient time. Neither take up much space in a pack.

Also I would carry a chain break. That way if you break a derailleur you can shorten the chain and single speed out of the woods.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.