Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple pics from a ride on July 5. Don't feel like monkeying with the rest yet.
There was a good view. There was a good beer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Nice pictures

Nice pictures! How far from the Bay Area is this place? Is it easily accessable and how many miles of trails are there?

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple hours.
That little spot of blue near the bottom left of the pano is Donner Lake. We started at Prosser Creek off 89 and followed Emigrant trail west.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,279 Posts
wg said:
Couple hours.
That little spot of blue near the bottom left of the pano is Donner Lake. We started at Prosser Creek off 89 and followed Emigrant trail west.
Can you give more details about your ride? I might go for a w-e in a cabin off of Donner lake.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ride shots

Had a great 4th of July week off hanging at Donner Lake. (Pic 1 shows where the lake was). Chased family around on the beach, off the pier and off rope swing. Couldn't make the original Sunday ride that Slidemon posted about but got a nice ride with Mighty Man up Emigrant Trail on Tuesday (pics later) and planned my long ride for Thursday.

I wanted to get a ride in that didn't inconvenience the family too much time wise nor did I want to bogart the car for the day. I needed to end at Donner Lake somehow. Prior years I've gone over Shallenberger Ridge from West End and came down on the far east side. Also have gone up Cold Creek toward Tinker Knob. Needed something different.

Looking up from the beach I notice that there seem to be trails on the ridge on the other side of 80. Hmmm. Time to study the maps. Looks like Emigrant Trail connects to some fire roads up 'n over Hawk's Peak leading to what looked to be a tight, switch backed, drop to a turn off by Interstate 80. Then I could ride the road down to the cabin for the last mile. Guesstimated ride time 3 hours or so.
One other map was mandatory (based on the fine advice from The Back Country shop in Truckee). The Tahoe Donner street 'n trail map. Needed to combine my bike map and their map to pick through their private trail system and street layout.

Got the OK from the "Keeper of Schedules" and even got a shuttle offer from one of the other folks we were staying with! :thumbsup:

While loading the car a neighbor comes over and starts asking where I'm going, what's the route going to be, timing and can he come along. No problem! He had the same family requirements. Find out, its another MTBR denizen, 29erBidwell (aka Bill)! He runs next door, grabs the gear and off we go.
Drop off point: Highway 89 and Prosser Creek.
Route: Emigrant Trail south for about 2 miles, cross 89 and head west, paralleling Alder Creek Rd. for about 4 miles, through Tahoe Donner's system aiming for the Equestrian center where the real climbing will begin up Hawk's Peak.

Riding Emigrant Trail is a wonderful, flowy blast. Very scenic. Not technical. Once we crossed 89, the trail gradually climbs the whole way. Here's where I find that Bill is a much faster climber than me. (not that I'm all that fast anyway). I'll blame the 29er he was riding, as its always the equipment's fault, right?
Several map checks along the way along with a couple chats with folks we meet on the trail and we're at the Equestrian Center. Time to start the long climbs through the mule ear and exposed fire road. Did I mention it was hot out?
Climbing stats (no GPS or bike computer on this ride): Prosser Creek Reservoir sits at 5704', the trail crests at about 7600', then the drop to

Donner Lake at 5938'.

Some pics:

1- 29erBidwell climbing through Mule Ear

2- The final grunt before the crest. That hurt. 29erBidwell cleared it. I hoofed it.

3- The crest

Attachments

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Decent

So after the climb, we head, down. Pano shot at start of thread is too small but that's the view from the top. Most excellent. Lunch break of Guinness and trail mix and salami.

1- 29erBidwell works a corner

2- Me on the same corner. Thanks for the shots Bill

3- Looking the other way toward Donner Lake

4- More swoopy goodness in sight!

5- Happy 4th! Grabbed a beer (Boddingtons Pub Ale) and went across the rode and promptly dropped into the lake. Both Bill's and my kids were goofing around on the dock too. Good times!

Attachments

·
(slight return)
2,139 Posts
Hey, glad you found a good ride near Donner! In winter, Hawk's Peak is the high point of the Tahoe Donner xc ski area. One of those shots makes it look like it drops west off the ridge down ***** Canyon to the Donner Lake exit off 80, is that about right? Great pix!

-slide

1 - 10 of 10 Posts