Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on the area immediately surrounding Donner Lake, specifically the North side? Up next weekend. I plan to ride the greater Tahoe area Sunday. But we're rafting Sat and I'm looking for closer spots pre/post rafting around Donner where were staying at a condo right above the lake.

Motherlode? Hidden Gem?

Cheers

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Paper or plastic?
10,635 Posts
Ride JP in coldstream canyon for a quick out and back.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
The Tahoe Donner trails (Motherload, Hidden Gem) are pretty fun, lots of good trails in that area. Others can chime in with recommendations there.

Right near there, a new section of the Donner Lake Rim trail just opened.

Going into the old snow sheds is a good adventure. Start near Sugar Bowl and head east. Light is generally dim, but good. Bring a headlamp anyway.

JPs in Coldstream canyon, on the south side of the Donner SP campground, is a good out and back, and can be linked up with other trails in that valley.

·
wretch
2,126 Posts
If you're staying at Donner Lake i'd suggest getting a ride or riding up into TD - possibly even starting at 89 / Alder Creek and making your way up the Old Emmigrant Trail, into TD, into Euer valley as an option, but aiming for Glacier Summit / Drifter hut which is near / leads to the Donner Lake Rim Trail - descend that into ***** canyon and take that to the west end of Donner Lake / 80. IIRC the trail from ***** to the West end / hwy 80 is Wendin Way... or pedal out of the campground and ride JP's around to Snagglepuss but that'll require a bit of searching...

·
Registered
830 Posts
Were they both clear? TF report has mother lode with snow on the 8th. What did you do once you got to the bottom of hidden gem?

My ride was this: Sundance/Hastings -> lower Mother Lode -> Hidden Gem -> Last Round Up -> Randy's Ramble.

I can't speak to the conditions of upper Mother Lode, unfortunately. I opted to skip that part thinking it would shorten my ride a bit.
There wasn't any snow on any of the sections that I rode on.
The only snow I saw was about 50ft above Hastings.
The DH portions of Mother Lode and Hidden Gem are dry and running as well as expected (they're a bit loose in some spots as you can probably imagine).
There's some small amount of wetness where snowmelt is crossing the fireroads, but nothing on any DH section.
There are some larger puddles once you get onto Last Round Up which might be fixed with better drainage.
Dry and dusty otherwise.
Lots of mosquitos. Lots. I have probably 10 bites, and they're mostly from the Mother Lode and Hidden Gem and Last Round Up sections.

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Any tips on the area immediately surrounding Donner Lake, specifically the North side? Up next weekend. I plan to ride the greater Tahoe area Sunday. But we're rafting Sat and I'm looking for closer spots pre/post rafting around Donner where were staying at a condo right above the lake.

Motherlode? Hidden Gem?

Cheers

Still snow on many shaded and north-facing aspects north of Donner Lake/I-80. Warren Lake Trail has snow starting at the Frog Lake ridge. Castle Valley Rd has drifts starting just north of the Donner Lake Ridge Trail junction.

DLRT between Summit Lake and Castle Valley Rd is really nice! (Bravo, designers/builders.) Minor navigating around snow and tree fall. Access from east or west; Summit Lake Rd from the E is clear, steep and pretty spectacular as dirt roads go.

·
Registered
138 Posts
From Donner Lake, ride over to the "Armstrong tract" (above the 80 on the N side at Donner Pass Road exit). Head up from there to the new DLRT mentioned above, ride up all the way to Andesite. Shred back down through Wendin Way and neighborhood trails to Donner Lake. Riding up to Hawk's Peak (in TD) would be good too, but upper Motherlode takes forever to melt out.

The valley south of you has excellent riding too.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My ride was this: Sundance/Hastings -> lower Mother Lode -> Hidden Gem -> Last Round Up -> Randy's Ramble.

I can't speak to the conditions of upper Mother Lode, unfortunately. I opted to skip that part thinking it would shorten my ride a bit.
There wasn't any snow on any of the sections that I rode on.
The only snow I saw was about 50ft above Hastings.
The DH portions of Mother Lode and Hidden Gem are dry and running as well as expected (they're a bit loose in some spots as you can probably imagine).
There's some small amount of wetness where snowmelt is crossing the fireroads, but nothing on any DH section.
There are some larger puddles once you get onto Last Round Up which might be fixed with better drainage.
Dry and dusty otherwise.
Lots of mosquitos. Lots. I have probably 10 bites, and they're mostly from the Mother Lode and Hidden Gem and Last Round Up sections.

Hope this is helpful.
What we had time for. Really fun. Good to know about TD, what a great network! Literally finished right into my buddy's back yard. I'll be back there for sure. So easy to get into. Thanks for the hookup.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just rode a sweet TD loop on Saturday and man, what a great trail network! I rode from emigrant, Alder creek, Sundance, True Grit, Upper Mother Lode, Middle, Lower, Hidden Gem, Sweetness, Unnamed, back to car. The lower part of Upper Mother definitely still has a somewhat sketch drift to navigate.<alder creek<sundance<true="" grit<upper="" mother="" lode<middle<lower<hidden="" gem<sweetness<unnamed<back="" to="" car.="" the="" lower="" part="" of="" upper="" definitely="" still="" has="" a="" somewhat="" sketch="" drift="" navigate.<alder="" sizeable="" snow="" navigate.<="" html=""></alder>

Attachments

·
NedwannaB
12,792 Posts
I just rode a sweet TD loop on Saturday and man, what a great trail network! I rode from emigrant, Alder creek, Sundance, True Grit, Upper Mother Lode, Middle, Lower, Hidden Gem, Sweetness, Unnamed, back to car. The lower part of Upper Mother definitely still has a somewhat sketch drift to navigate.<alder creek<sundance<true="" grit<upper="" mother="" lode<middle<lower<hidden="" gem<sweetness<unnamed<back="" to="" car.="" the="" lower="" part="" of="" upper="" definitely="" still="" has="" a="" somewhat="" sketch="" drift="" navigate.<alder="" sizeable="" snow="" navigate.<="" html=""></alder>
Nice route. Trailforks?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Not too many HOA's in US&A can say that they have their own trail network. It's a pretty amazing place and there's a lot more to come, apparently. TD purchased another 640 acres in Crabtree Canyon, to the north of the neighborhood, a few years back.

Love the trails but wish that some of them had a bit more sustained grade on the descents, particularly Mother Lode.

Anyone ride the new section of the DLRT on the south side of the neighborhood?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anyone ride the new section of the DLRT on the south side of the neighborhood?
Full disclosure - I work for the Truckee Donner Land Trust so its safe to say I'm totally unbiased in saying that DLRT is the best trail in the world. I have ridden the new section and its a great trail with stellar views. Here's a few pictures: http://instagr.am/p/Bz0k5Nhh2wi/

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.