Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
...and was trying really hard to avoid shimano parts on my new burner, but after last weekend, I am going back to what I know and have good success with, shimano pedals.

I got eggbeaters two years ago hoping that I could deal with the mud problem I always had in the past. Not too long after, the mallets came out and I was delighted that I could convert my trail bike to eggs too.

Initially, I couldn't stay in em. Then I switched cleats and found it was hard to get out. This contributed to my major crash in Taos where I lacerated my kidney.

No too long after getting back on the bike, I switched the cleats back and once again, due to wear and stuff, I couldn't stay in the pedals. I started having one-footer landings when launching due to popping out.

The cleats wore out it seemed in only a few weeks. Now, during Fruita, I had one foot always coming out and one foot not coming out. Seemed to be an issue with the spring having play on one side.

Prior, I had my 747 pedals last several years and the steel cleats lasted over a year. The soft brass cleats for the eggs seems to wear out in no time.

Everyone raves about Time, but I'm not going to yet another system for now.

Is there anyone else who had used eggs for a while and left as well due to similiar issues? I really wanted to like these pedals-- so much that I stuck with them for a year too long and 6 sets of cleats later.

·
I'm how far behind?
571 Posts
I have not had the issues that you have described, but I use the regular eggbeaters without the platform. I'm also pretty bad about replacing my cleats, maybe once a season, per pair of shoes. With two pairs of shoes that equals about two changes in cleats per year. I also have relatively high mileage years. The cleats begin to look pretty rough really quick but seem to function fine.

Are you sure your solidly clipped in before doing these jumps?? Do you twist your ankles in the air trying to move the bike?? I know beaters clip out with little lateral movement.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
lidarmanIs there anyone else who had used eggs for a while and left as well due to similiar issues? I really wanted to like these pedals-- so much that I stuck with them for a year too long and 6 sets of cleats later.[/QUOTE said:
A ride buddy is switching back to SPD's on all 4 bikes. His complaint is that the springs wear out so when he stands to pedal the sole pushes them apart and its squeak-squeak all the way home.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
lidarman said:
Is there anyone else who had used eggs for a while and left as well due to similiar issues? I really wanted to like these pedals-- so much that I stuck with them for a year too long and 6 sets of cleats later.
Yep, been there, done that. In short, a couple years ago, I used Eggs for a couple of seasons and absolutely loved them in the mud, but really didn't like them anywhere else. As you mentioned, cleat-wear was very fast. Plus, I also snapped 2 cleats clean in half! I also had 2 cases in which the pedal completely separated from the spindle (outboard bearing failed). Also, I've had it happen on a couple of occasions where, after hitting a rock, root, etc., the pedal either pops open or seals tight. Neither are good. That was enough for me.

So, 3-yrs ago, I made the move back to Shimano. I had also used the older-style ATACs for a couple years, and was generally happy with them, but I wanted a more secure feeling pedal (both Eggs and ATACs have a lot of float and lateral cleat movement). I had numerous Shimano pedals before (525s, 535s, 747s, etc.) and had some issues with each, but I was willing to try the 959s. Glad I did! I'm still using the same pair, 3-yrs later and I only change the cleats once a season. Maintenance? None. Issues? None. Mud clearance? Not nearly as good as the Eggs, but pretty close. Unless it is really, really nasty (typical during 'cross season in which snow, mud and leaves create a nasty pedal mix), I'll keep my 959s.

·
I am the owl
1,908 Posts
lidarman said:
I'd reconsider. Especially since the Eggbeater mud shedding design is a rip off of the ATAC design (IMO). Very similar design except there are four engagement options instead of two.

Lots of busted up Eggbeaters in these parts, but all of the Time users are happy and sticking with what they have. $.02

·
Rolling
11,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
riderx said:
I'd reconsider. Especially since the Eggbeater mud shedding design is a rip off of the ATAC design (IMO). Very similar design except there are four engagement options instead of two.
I'm saving my good pair of regular beaters with a set of shoes for the winter mud stuff...But the rest of the year, forget it.

Besides, the newer spds, albiet not as good as eggs in mud shedding, are much better than the old 747 stuff.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I too was not impressed with the egg beaters. I've always been a Time guy. I switched to the beaters becuase they were supposed to be the same type of pedal only lighter. At first I noticed that any time I hit a rock the spring would disengage. That was annoying but I could live with it. Then the bearings/bushings broke. After replacing that I noticed I was popping out unexpectedly all the time. I looked at my cleats and they were worn to nubs after only a month and a half of riding. I dealt with the beaters for about 6 months before switching back to Times.

I'm riding the Time ATAC XS now and they are great pedals. A bit lighter than the old style and they have much less lateral play. I like them a lot.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Long time egg user here....

Problems
1. The cleats do wear out too fast.
2. The pedals make deep grooves in my shoes
3. You can get the ejector seat effect if you smack a rock on the bottom side

Solutions
1. Buy Quattro cleats. Made of a much, much stronger brass and mine hardly have any wear after many months. This was from the recommendation of CB customer service after I complained about my quick wearing cleats
2. Some suggest different shoes with either carbon or harder soles. I've heard Sidis deal with Eggies well but I don't own Sidis.
3. None in site.

I still run eggs and I do like them most of the time. I think the engagement/disengagement is worlds better than the Shimano 747s I used previously but to each his own.

You can't beat eggs for lightweight and mud shedding...

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
1speed_Mike said:
. Mud clearance? Not nearly as good as the Eggs, but pretty close. .
OK, doesn't pretty close mean they ARE nearly as good? :confused:

I've got Ritchey V3s, which are 959 knock-offs, and I'm amazed how well they work in mud. May not be as good as 'beaters(haven't tried them), but a huge improvement over older SPDs.

·
Registered
11,679 Posts
Well um they rave for a reason...

lidarman said:
...and was trying really hard to avoid shimano parts on my new burner, but after last weekend, I am going back to what I know and have good success with, shimano pedals.

I got eggbeaters two years ago hoping that I could deal with the mud problem I always had in the past. Not too long after, the mallets came out and I was delighted that I could convert my trail bike to eggs too.

Initially, I couldn't stay in em. Then I switched cleats and found it was hard to get out. This contributed to my major crash in Taos where I lacerated my kidney.

No too long after getting back on the bike, I switched the cleats back and once again, due to wear and stuff, I couldn't stay in the pedals. I started having one-footer landings when launching due to popping out.

The cleats wore out it seemed in only a few weeks. Now, during Fruita, I had one foot always coming out and one foot not coming out. Seemed to be an issue with the spring having play on one side.

Prior, I had my 747 pedals last several years and the steel cleats lasted over a year. The soft brass cleats for the eggs seems to wear out in no time.

they really are great pedals. You could try um....

·
Only dead people are old
629 Posts
riderx said:

Lots of busted up Eggbeaters in these parts, but all of the Time users are happy and sticking with what they have. $.02
I couldn't get Time to help me fix broken pedals at all - so after breaking a second set I gave up on them. Crank Bros on the other hand has really treated me well with super customer service. I go through about 1 pair of cleats per year which is perfectly good fine. When I ran Shimano I never changed cleats, but the pedals certainly fell apart. Also the Shimano pedals were totally worthless in mud, sticky wet soil, and snow. Crank Bros is my choice and will continue to be (I have 4 sets now).

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Love them!!

Seven bikes and seven Eggs.
Seven WTB Rocket V Stealths as well.
I always seemed to be able to jump right outa any type of Shamanos. So, I swithced to Times when a biek came stock with them. Times ARE awesome. I put Stan's full Ti kit into a set of Times. Eggs came out at the same weight. I made the switch for ever.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Ok, I dont know how retarded you guys ride but Ive been runnin beaters for over 2 years without a snag (cept for a squeeky seal that can be fixed with some sanction spray). Always ran shimano before, but I have since never looked back.

As for slippin out of them it sounds like rider error.

As for cleats wearin out, they are designed to wear out quicker (they are made from a soft brass so that the wear is on the cleat not the much more expensive pedal) If you dont like this buy the tougher ones as mentioned earlier.

this post is the first time Ive ever heard a complaint from these pedals and I know a lot of people riding them, and have sold quite a few without anything but praise.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
i have ran mine for 1 1/2 years and only rinsed them down and thrown some white lightning on them. i loved them and they alsways worked great. though i rarely got in mud here in Phoenix

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,847 Posts
I'm with ya Rich!

been on SPD or variations thereof since 1992, and have yet to have enough trouble to make me swap. been thinking of trying the mallets out, but then i'd have to setup a different pair of shoes/cleats for them. never really had any trouble with the SPD stuff, even early on.

six bikes, all SPD type pedals. nice being able to grab any bike, any shoe in the stable and never have any "oops brought the wrong shoes" moments.

2x shimano m545
2x ritchey road spd
2x SPD clone pedals

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
2 words..... Time Atac.... they are the O.G. of the eggs and are 10 times more durable and dependable, in my experience. Over my 4 years of riding...I (we) have NEVER had issue 1 with a pair (at least ten pairs so far) of Time's.

·
College
1,198 Posts
Padre said:
2 words..... Time Atac.... they are the O.G. of the eggs and are 10 times more durable and dependable, in my experience. Over my 4 years of riding...I (we) have NEVER had issue 1 with a pair (at least ten pairs so far) of Time's.
When disengaging off the times, is there a definite click ? I like the secure feeling of my normal spd type. My friend uses eggs and i hate them, feels so slippery and not secure. The disengage feels sketchy too. I get out of my cleats faster than he does too. ditto.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine are now relegated to road duty.

I bought some eggbeaters due to all the hype. They didn't work for me at all. They won't disengage. I can't tell you how many wipeouts I've had with my bike still attached to my feet. It takes serious muscle to get them to release. I finally took them off my bike before I killed myself. I'm now back to Shimano's with no problems. I just bought some Xpedo's to experiment with.

My eggbeaters have now found a new home on my road bike. But they still won't release. Once I couldn't get out when I stopped at a light. Over I went and scratched up my brand new carbon road bike. Another time I was trying to disengage at a stop sign. I was trying so hard to get it to release that my entire foot popped out of my shoe. But at least I didn't go over. My shoe was still stuck in the eggbeaters.

Just say no to eggbeaters.

·
otb club member
2,949 Posts
Yep. Same here.

k1dude said:
I bought some eggbeaters due to all the hype. They didn't work for me at all. They won't disengage. I can't tell you how many wipeouts I've had with my bike still attached to my feet. It takes serious muscle to get them to release. I finally took them off my bike before I killed myself. I'm now back to Shimano's with no problems. I just bought some Xpedo's to experiment with.

My eggbeaters have now found a new home on my road bike. But they still won't release. Once I couldn't get out when I stopped at a light. Over I went and scratched up my brand new carbon road bike. Another time I was trying to disengage at a stop sign. I was trying so hard to get it to release that my entire foot popped out of my shoe. But at least I didn't go over. My shoe was still stuck in the eggbeaters.

Just say no to eggbeaters.
Sometimes couldn't get in. In technical stuff, many times couldn't get out. I'm back to SPD's.

·
rbtm member
888 Posts
b12yan88 said:
When disengaging off the times, is there a definite click ? I like the secure feeling of my normal spd type. My friend uses eggs and i hate them, feels so slippery and not secure. The disengage feels sketchy too. I get out of my cleats faster than he does too. ditto.
That's the one thing I initially missed when I switched from from spd's to time, the nice positive engagement/disengagement. Of course, it was only nice under ideal conditions and almost worthless otherwise, hence the switch. I'm sure the newer spd's are better in that regard or at least people seem happier with them now. Still, I wouldn't go out of my way to switch back. My times barely even register in my brain anymore, they just work.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts