Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A fund has been set-up to help Adriana Ospina and her family with the costs of her being in the hospital. If you have not seen my previous thread, Adriana fell on Coastal Trail on Mt Tam last Sunday. We do not know why she fell, or what could have caused the crash, as she went down on a fairly smooth, relatively straight section of trail. Though she wore a helmet, she impacted hard enough on the side of her head to put her in a coma. I hope that nobody on the forums is ever in a position to have to do what we did last Sunday to try to keep our friend stable and alive while getting emergency crews to the location, but if so, I trust you will step up to the situation and do what you need to do - breaking down later is acceptable. She was evacuated quickly to Marin General Hospital, where she is being treated.

The fund is set-up for her family to offset the costs of their missing work, traveling to and from the Stockton area, and to help offset Adriana's bills wihle she is unable to work.

Any amount that can be donated will be greatly appreciated. Adriana is loved by so many in the cycling, swimming and triathlon community. We all wish for a speedy recovery as the doctors try to lift her gently out of the coma and we hope for no long-lasting effects or problems, but we also realize that this is a likely long road she will have to travel back to health.

Adriana Ospina Trust
Wells Fargo Bank
151 40th st
Oakland Ca 94611

ACCT# 7708125104
(This acct # is okay to send out to anyone you know who might wish to donate)

There will be some fund-raisng events also, and I will post them as they are finalized. Thanks in advance for your generosity to help her and her family in these trying days.

·
Uncle
4,329 Posts
I'm in

Check is in an envelope, and hopefully more to follow after I ebay some spare stuff to kick in too. Think I found a good use for that old yeti frame.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
if i might make a suggestion, would it be possible to also set up a paypal account for this...might make it easier for people to donate as all they would have to do was point and click...

·
Uncle
4,329 Posts
Working on it

cohenfive said:
if i might make a suggestion, would it be possible to also set up a paypal account for this...might make it easier for people to donate as all they would have to do was point and click...
That's a good idea, and someone is working on that currently. This will be updated as soon as its set up.
Thanks.

·
Natural body armor
2,177 Posts
105millimetersofpleasure said:
That's a good idea, and someone is working on that currently. This will be updated as soon as its set up.
Thanks.
Yes, keep us posted with the Paypal acct. and of course on Adriana's conditions.
Thanks
Marco

·
Weird huh?
2,286 Posts
Great idea guys and girls

I'll hit the PayPal as soon as it's active.

105mmOfPleasure and ATBScott.....I'd consider myself lucky to have friends like yourselves

M

·
Uncle
4,329 Posts
Update

Her condition has improved a bit, and she continues to receive good care. We've been asked to keep the details offline for now, and I've edited this post out of respect for that request. Please keep those prayers coming.

Josh

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A brief update on Adriana's progress:

Yesterday afternoon, she had the piece of her skull replaced that was removed the day she fell. It was removed to allow access to remove a hematoma and give room for her brain to swell without putting any undue pressure on it. The fact that the original prognosis was to replace it approx 6 weeks from the surgery, this is a good sign and the doctors and staff, family etc... are all upbeat about this. She did well with the surgery and continues to heal. While she has not "woken up" yet, she is moving more, and has shown some signs of progressing activity, moving her arm and leg more, signs of right leg movement and general signs of improvement.

Her friends are all involved and there are a number of fund-raising efforts going on. On Sunday, October 18th there will be a road ride starting in SF and over the GG Bridge and the Paradise loop. If you feel like getting out to the dark side and rolling some asphalt, this is a great loop and fun. A $40 donation is requested. Sports Basement at the Presidio is making a donation this day. Contact [email protected] to get an evite for the event.

Saturday the 17th or 25th of October (depending on getting the permits) there will be a MTB Poker Ride at Anthony Chabot Park. A Beginner's Loop of around 9 miles and a Standard Loop of roughly 15 miles, with options to add distance and chances for additional card draws, is on the board too. There will be prizes and a raffle for bicycle-related parts and schwag after the ride is done. More info to come once we can nail down a date with the parks.

On November 14th, Saturday night, there will be a Comedy Show in Lafayette, at the Veteran's Hall. Comedians slated so far: Longtime local legend Larry "Bubbles" Brown, and regular headliner and Last Comic Standing sweepstakes finalist Andrew Norelli (recently on The Late Late Show With Craig Ferguson and other programs.) This venue has tables and chairs for fundraising tables, and of course, a full bar. Thanks to "Funnyboy" Pat McCoy for working his contacts and getting this venue lined up for free on a Saturday night! Final showtimes to be announced soon. There will also be an auction for bicycle and non-cycling related items. Anyone who can donate or arrange for items to be auctioned please contact me BC through the forums. Gift Certificates for restaurants, and anything like that would be great to draw a larger crowd of people who might not be bikers, triathletes, etc...

Thanks for the good thoughts folks and we'll keep this updated as we learn more!

Scott

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update:

Adriana is starting to show some signs of consciousness it sounds like. She spoke some words today, but the words and context aren't known yet - hope to have some word tomorrow from her sister on the situation and event. Things are moving!!! I am so upbeat tonight - I hope I can sleep!

·
Registered
567 Posts
I just found out she is my son's teacher's sister. I never put two and two together. If she is anything like her sister is a great human. Her sister also has taken off time to help her sister, and the family needs all the support they can get.

·
Uncle
4,329 Posts
Early / Vintage Yeti FRO frame #496 available

Starting this evening, I'm auctioning off an old and very challenged Yeti FRO frame, and all proceeds will go into a trust that's been set up for medical expenses. If interested, please search your favorite auction site after 8pm for more info. At this point, the frame is just wall art and possibly never to be ridden, but perhaps someone will find a use for it. And more importantly, help make a fallen rider's life a bit easier. We're looking for as many ways to offset the expenses, so my apologies in advance for any forum rule infractions.

Thanks.
Josh

Attachments

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A brief update on Adriana's condition: She has been at CPMC for roughly ten days now. She still struggles with awareness and cognition, but physically is healing well. Her shoulder (scapula) surgery went well and she is past all concerns of paralysis - she has even taken a few assisted steps with the therapists. She is in this for the long haul - let's hope everyone else can do it too!

There will be flyers coming out soon for a Comedy Show Benefit in Lafayette on Saturday night, November 14th. "Funny Boy" Pat McCoy, Larry "Bubbles" Brown (as seen on Letterman) and Andrew Norelli will be performing. There will also be an auction for Cycling, Tri, Running and paddling-related goods being donated. Once the final version of the flyer is done, I will be posting a link here! Thanks for keeping her in your thoughts and we hope to see you at the show in November!

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Comedy Show is announced!!!

This is for Saturday, November 14th at the Veterans Hall in Lafayette. There will be an opening band - Sizemo, followed by Funnyboy Pat McCoy, Larry "Bubbles" Brwon, and Andrew Norelli. $30 Donation for a great night of fun and laughs. We'll also be raffling off some great schwag and both a silent and live auction for the really good stuff. 21 and over (yep - there will be a bar!) and we expect it to sell out. A good time for a great cause and it is a Saturday night, so you can misbehave and have Sunday to recover/ride it off!

Attachments

·
Are we there yet?
794 Posts
Woot, woot! I'll be there fo sho! Will Funny Boy Pat McCoy be wearing his turtle shell for ol' time sakes? Those jokes haven't gone out of style yet. ;-)

·
Registered
567 Posts
I will be also doing a small fund raiser for her through my childern's school. Her sister is my son's teacher. It will be a longish Mountain Bike ride and I will be asking for donations per mile. I am now checking with the school and others there to make sure I do it right. Lots of laws for fund raisers at school.
Best wishes, Jeff

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Adriana Update: I had some communication with her sister yesterday, after some time... She continues to show small steps in improvement! Still in-and-out, as it is likely to remain the case for some time, but she is getting more aware and lucid as time goes on. She was able to take some steps on her own recently, and short conversations with her family! It's going to be a long road, but she has started well on her way down it and slowly building momentum! Please keep her in your thoughts!

There is now a web site with a Paypal link at the top to get Advance Ticket Sales for the Comedy show! http://adrianaevents.org. There are blocks of tickets going to her hospital co-workers and family friends who are donating, so get your order in quickly. There is a good chance this will be sold out and very likely no tickets at the door! Even if you can't go or afford the $30 ticket price, you can make a donation of any size to help out! It's amazing what enough $5 - $10 gifts can do for someone! Thanks to all and hope to see lots of people to try to add faces to handles that night!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts