Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing a new car, something in the Camry, Malibu, Fusion, Legacy range. Some will tell you the US autos cannot compete with the imports when it comes to quality. Others will say imports are over-rated. Thoughts?

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm personally bias on imports. I drive a Civic, its not picky on maintenance, I tend to under-maintain my car when I'm short on cash and it still drives fine(I know I know), great actually. 169k miles on her. Domestics tend not to constantly get those numbers =/
There is a reason why most older cars on the road are imports. I'd look at a Legacy, Accord/TSX, TL or even a Mazda6.

BUT, I do have faith in newer domestic cars, if only they wouldn't make 'em look so 'effing awkward.

And if you like to drive a fun midsized car that has decent fuel economy, don't get the Camry.....*shivers*

·
The White Jeff W
5,684 Posts
I see you're in Wisconsin. Get something All Wheel Drive. Even with 225/40/18 summer tires my 2000 Subaru Impreza is unstoppable in the snow. At least until it gets as deep as the front spoiler. Im lusting after an Outback wagon for my next car.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Subaru.

They are all AWD and will go for 300k on borderline negligible maintenance.

The only cars I ever owned. They blow all other imports/domestics out of the water.

If you get a wagon you can fit a couple bike inside in a pinch too.

·
That’s no moon.
718 Posts
The only domestic I would consider buying would be a Ford truck if they ever bring back the V6. We have a 94 Explorer that has over 200k on it and has been fairly low maintenance throughout its life except for a trans. replacement.

Other than that it's always been Nissans and Mazdas. I just bought a new Nissan pickup and the fit and finish is nice. In some ways it is a lot more solid than my old '95, but in other ways it seems cheaper, if that makes any sense (mostly interior materials). I hope it lasts as long...

·
Bro Mountainbiker
3,583 Posts
That legacy is exactly what u are looking for. Subaru quality and AWD. Pretty comfortable too. One of my buddies has one.

But if i were you i would choose the wrx. TURBO

Sheepo

·
Rebmem Rbtm
249 Posts
Bought a 95 honda civic in 2001 for $3,000. Sold it in 2009 for $3,000. Only thing i ever had to replace on that thing was a starter. I now drive a SAAB and it was the worst mistake of my life.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
The domestics have come a long way and the gap between them and the imports with regard to overall quality has been narrowed significantly in the last ten years or so.

I still have a 2000 Dakota PU and it's been a pretty good truck and has 140K on the odo and I haven't had any major issues to complain about. I also have an 40, 05 and 2011 Accords in my household and comparing quality in workmanship with the Hondas and the Dakota is night and day...the Hondas are just put together better.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Subaru gets my vote. Spartan, reliable, all models except Impreza are made in Indiana plant. Personally for active life style and MTB I would chose Outback over the Legacy. It's got lift, lots of clearance, integrated roof rails with bars, lots of cargo space, quirky looks. For now I drive 5-door Impreza hatchback and would consider switching to Outback in the near future. According to Consumer Reports 2010, Subaru and Honda share first place for reliability. And that opposite boxer engine will give you an elitist feeling, lol. Only Subarus, Porsches and BMW motorcycles have it :thumbsup:
Domestic car makers have gone a long way recently to improve on the reliability and modern fords are good cars too.

·
That’s no moon.
718 Posts
arcticrobot said:
And that opposite boxer engine will give you an elitist feeling, lol. Only Subarus, Porsches and BMW motorcycles have it :thumbsup:
Have any of you subie owners had any issues with failing head gaskets on the boxer engine? Seems like I read about that a while back and it kept me from buying a used one I saw. That said, my sister has an Impreza that gets beat on regularly and it has been a good car.

I may trade our Mazda 3 in on a Subaru one of these days, would be nice to have AWD.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,913 Posts
I'm on my fourth Saab, none were built during the GM ownership debacle period. The current one, is a 1990 1/2 9000S US-spec model (meaning it got the US instrumentation package and the 91 powertrain upgrade). Its just gone past 195,000 miles on the odometer. The body is rusting at the fenders/lower trim. Its still the on original clutch plate. It passed its last emissions test a week ago EVEN with a major rust crack in the exhaust pipe between the muffler and resonator sections (which then broke completely through two days later). In general, for a saab to fail such a test, you'd need to fill the intake chamber with a dead and decomposing racoon. When this one dies, I will replace it with another saab. Hopefully that holds off until the now non-gm Saab gets production up to speed and gets rid of the rest of the GM hardware they've been saddled with over the years.

The only alternative I'd consider is a Toyota FJ Cruiser, which is one of the few models that Toyota has that didn't get recalled. Subaru isn't even a consideration as they don't do well in the local climate (tooo freaking low to the ground, not good with deep snow) and they have crappy seats also.

·
Registered
178 Posts
cackalacky said:
Have any of you subie owners had any issues with failing head gaskets on the boxer engine? Seems like I read about that a while back and it kept me from buying a used one I saw. That said, my sister has an Impreza that gets beat on regularly and it has been a good car.

I may trade our Mazda 3 in on a Subaru one of these days, would be nice to have AWD.
There had been an issue with head gaskets back in days. But I don't see it anymore. Every car has some well known weak points, but even with those considered Subarus are and always had been among most reliable cars on the market.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,027 Posts
cackalacky said:

Not been an issue for a years.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I think one of the things to consider is gas mileage as well. Gas isnt getting any cheaper and it can make a big difference. The only domestic brand I would buy is a ford. (and no, i'm not a ford guy). Ford seems to have stepped up to the plate where GM is still behind and Mopar is not even on the map when it comes to quality or resale value. Honda, Toyota, and Subaru all make good cars, you really cant go wrong.

I would also look up no biased reviews on the specific cars you are looking at.

·
No known cure
4,096 Posts
I consider my 05 Tacoma domestic since it was built here, and bought it against my better judgement after lemon lawing a US built Nissan Titan. The Tacoma hit 100K last week and still idles like a new truck.

I've also had two Audis in the last five years with zero issues in a combined 170K(2005 hotrodded Allroad and 2007 A6 S line)

I wouldn't buy anything from the big three, but that's me.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts