Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a little heavy, but the 2008 model is selling for $300 and travel is 115-160mm.

I am putting it on an Enduro S-Works and want a good strong and reliable do it all fork. I am strong and don't mind the weight. (I currently have a 66RC on my bike which has an A2C of 595mm, the Domain is 545 at max travel.)

I was going to get a Zoke 55 or even 66ATA, but i don't want to deal with a fork being sent back to the states for repairs (am in Japan). Fox is an option but the Talas is over $1000 and I just can't justify that much at the moment.

The Domains seem to have had very few reported problems and seem reliable.
It also has rebound and compression adjustments if what the specs on the store are correct. "Damping Adjust: External Rebound, Low Speed Compression, Internal High Speed Shim Stack"

It is billed as a Free-Ride fork. Does any one else use it on an all-mountain bike?

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
TheDon said:
Or is it worth the extra (double price) and get a Lyrik u-turn for $600
The difference is not only the weight, but the dampening. The Domain rocks the Motion Control, whereas the Lyrik rocks Mission control, which allows more tuneability to the setup.

IMO, a domain for $300 is a great deal. If you are looking for the 160mm version you might try here, but (iirc) you are importing it...so IDK what the situation is with that. For under $200, it is a no-brainer.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I have a Domain 318 in 180mm and think it is awesome. Might be a little heavy for AM but if the weight does not bug you then it would make a great option. Once the spring rate is changed to what you want there is really nothing that can go wrong. I think that is what I like the most, it is so simple. I like the face that I never have to think about it.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
My 160mm uturn Domain 318 with steerer cut to about 8 inches with star nut came in at 6.12 pounds. The Fox is not only WAY more money, but it's really only about a half or 3/4 pounds lighter. Also Fox's 20mm quick release system sucks by comparison to the Maxle. I have recently obtained an RA for my Domain however. It is leaking through the rebound knob which means it's leaking internally. RS's customer service has been good so far, though.

·
well mannered lout
3,464 Posts
CharacterZero said:
The difference is not only the weight, but the dampening. The Domain rocks the Motion Control, whereas the Lyrik rocks Mission control, which allows more tuneability to the setup.

IMO, a domain for $300 is a great deal. If you are looking for the 160mm version you might try here, but (iirc) you are importing it...so IDK what the situation is with that. For under $200, it is a no-brainer.
The fork in the link is a 1.5 version, I think the enduro uses a tapered HT?

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
EDizzleVR6 said:
haha you guys think 300 is a good price.
santacruztmtbs has a webstore with the 318 for $185, and the 302 for $165.
killer deals, but im not so sure about how good the fork is...
Hey fellow pot smoker, I suggest that you read the entire thread before pointing and laughing, as I already directed him there and someone else was questioning the compatibility of that specific model on sale with his frame.

You are giving pot smokers everywhere a bad name.:nono:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its also a shame that those forks don't have u-turn either. My bike won't take a 1.5" HT... Thanks for the link though. I am looking at chainreactioncycles.com

uh-oh, should have ordered last night. they have up'd the price to $350 shipped.

Lyrik is still at $600 shipped, 400g lighter and a bit more controls
they also have the DT-Swiss Exc 150 TA for $760, 1400g lighter! and still pretty adjustable.

Domain is still a bargain compared to these. Especially with chirsmas around the corner.

although I will be selling my 66RC in nearly perfect condition and I did sell my Bianchi Pista to fund the new fork.... Hello DT Swiss!

·
Riiiiiide...
691 Posts
TheDon said:
Hello DT Swiss!
A 1.5kg 150mm fork.. Just (DONT) do it!!!!! Stay away from fancy light stuff unless you're riding XC only. I mean come on.. going from a 66 to the DT?? The Domain should do you just fine. If possible have a look at Zokes Z1 forks from a couple years back, 2.5kg aprox. I just ordered a 2007 Z1 RC2 ETA.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
chainreactioncycles.com

The DT Swiss has good reviews, but I just worry about carbon forks and DH, how well would that mix when I crash in a steep rock garden.

To be honest it is a toss up between the domain 318 U-turn $350 and the Lyrik U-Turn $600 both including shipping costs.

What adjustment do I lose with the Domain? Some kind of compression damping I think.
It seems that and the 350g are the only differences really.

Any word from you peeps? both these prices are fine with me. I love to tune the rebound and compression damping of my 66RC, I can make it run nice in a variety of situations. I guess I don't quite understand what I can adjust in the Domain. They hide it behind stupid names that differ from company to company.

Why don't they just use the same underlying terms??? Mission control, TST2, TST Micro etc!!! grrr!!! rant over!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
TheDon said:
chainreactioncycles.com

The DT Swiss has good reviews, but I just worry about carbon forks and DH, how well would that mix when I crash in a steep rock garden.

To be honest it is a toss up between the domain 318 U-turn $350 and the Lyrik U-Turn $600 both including shipping costs.

What adjustment do I lose with the Domain? Some kind of compression damping I think.
It seems that and the 350g are the only differences really.

Any word from you peeps? both these prices are fine with me. I love to tune the rebound and compression damping of my 66RC, I can make it run nice in a variety of situations. I guess I don't quite understand what I can adjust in the Domain. They hide it behind stupid names that differ from company to company.

Why don't they just use the same underlying terms??? Mission control, TST2, TST Micro etc!!! grrr!!! rant over!
Despite the different dampening technologies at hand, Mission control has 1 advantage over Motion control:
Differentiation between Low Speed Compression dampening and High Speed Compression dampening. (LSC & HSC fwiw, ftw!)

IIRC, you have the 66RC, which is more like the Motion Control. The 66RC2 would be more akin to the Mission Control (with the C2 part being LSC and HSC).

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK!

thanks for the simple reply, Why can't the companies just say, this fork, you can do this with this knob, and this with this knob. What makes it worse is all the hyperbole they attach to the names to make it sound like it gives you all you need.

It would be nice to try out the extra adjustments, I do find that the 66RC can feel a bit dead when I ramp up the compression to make it more pedal friendly.

Cheers mate! Lyrik it is!

·
Registered
8,308 Posts
TheDon said:
OK!

thanks for the simple reply, Why can't the companies just say, this fork, you can do this with this knob, and this with this knob. What makes it worse is all the hyperbole they attach to the names to make it sound like it gives you all you need.

It would be nice to try out the extra adjustments, I do find that the 66RC can feel a bit dead when I ramp up the compression to make it more pedal friendly.

Cheers mate! Lyrik it is!
You will dig it. I run a Lyrik Coil on my Terremoto and love it.

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I think the damping on the Domain is excellent. Controlled, no spiking, wide range of adjustment. If I recall, it uses the same damper as the Boxxer forks that RS is so famous for. If you want seperate low/high speed compression and lighter weight, go Lyrik. If you don't care about low/high compression or weight, and would prefer to have 250 dollars more in your pocket instead, buy a Domain. This isn't really a choice we can make for you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.