Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to enter my first century in May (plenty of time to train)

I have a Redline D460, I'm not planning to buy a road bike any time soon, but am wondering what changes/upgrades you guys would think I should make. Budget is around 150-200 (but less is always great ;))

I have a set of Big Apple's (2.35's) that I swap on for my commute during the week, and am changing to clipless soon (not related to the century, but I'm sure it will help).

What would you guys recommend in order of importance?

- Tires? Pretty happy with the BA's, but any other recommendations?
- Handle bars? From what I read in similar threads some people like to have more options for hand positioning than the regular mtb handle bar. Some other thread recommended a Titec Jones H-Bar.
- Saddle? The D460 came with a WTB Rocket V SLT Saddle, no complaints at all so far, but longest mileage has been around 30 miles with rests and periodic off saddle time.
- Chainring? I definitely spin out downhill on the road, but my main focus is to finish, not to beat any roadies ;)
- Anything else?

The century I'm entering is the Santa Fe Century, more info here:
http://santafecentury.com/routemap.html

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Tires would be first IMO. With your current gearing you'll spin out quickly on the downhills but probably be fin on the flats. Maybe bar-ends if you don't want a full-on handlebar swap, and perhaps a larger chainring.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
If you are running 1x9 with those tires, I'd go with a 36 or 38 tooth ring in the middle position if it fits the chainstays, would probably work ok on the road in the outer position if middle doesn't. With an 11-34 cassette, it should give plenty of gear options. Or you could run a 42 or 44 ring if you want to run somewhat narrow 28mm road tires. Curved bar ends would work for different hand positions.

G

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I have a Jamis Exile with a 44 tooth chainring mounted in place of the bash guard, 11-34 cassette, and 2.35 Big Apples.
The gear spread is 37.5 to 116 gear inches. I don't need anything lower and 116 is as big as a road bike.
If I were to run a century I'd run 700x32c road tires. It would change the gear spread to 35-108 gear inches. Plenty low and plenty high.
I have Ergon grips on the stock riser bar. This is THE most comfortable setup that I've used.
Some models of the Ergon grips have built in bar ends that are adjustable for angle. A pair of those might be pretty cool.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,445 Posts
Waves77 said:
I've decided to enter my first century in May (plenty of time to train)

I have a Redline D460, I'm not planning to buy a road bike any time soon, but am wondering what changes/upgrades you guys would think I should make. Budget is around 150-200 (but less is always great ;))

I have a set of Big Apple's (2.35's) that I swap on for my commute during the week, and am changing to clipless soon (not related to the century, but I'm sure it will help).

What would you guys recommend in order of importance?

- Tires? Pretty happy with the BA's, but any other recommendations?
- Handle bars? From what I read in similar threads some people like to have more options for hand positioning than the regular mtb handle bar. Some other thread recommended a Titec Jones H-Bar.
- Saddle? The D460 came with a WTB Rocket V SLT Saddle, no complaints at all so far, but longest mileage has been around 30 miles with rests and periodic off saddle time.
- Chainring? I definitely spin out downhill on the road, but my main focus is to finish, not to beat any roadies ;)
- Anything else?

The century I'm entering is the Santa Fe Century, more info here:
http://santafecentury.com/routemap.html
The two biggest issues will be gearing and tires. First, you want at least a 46-11 tall gear so you can ride with groups in a draft and not spin out, spinning too fast will kill your legs. Also, the reason road race tires are skinny is not rolling resistance it's aerodynamics, you'd be surprised how much energy you save going to a narrow (23c) tire.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Rivet said:
The two biggest issues will be gearing and tires. First, you want at least a 46-11 tall gear so you can ride with groups in a draft and not spin out, spinning too fast will kill your legs. Also, the reason road race tires are skinny is not rolling resistance it's aerodynamics, you'd be surprised how much energy you save going to a narrow (23c) tire.
Rivet nailed it. :D

You don't want the big apples on a century and a taller gear will come in handy. The rest matters little, so long as you can stay comfortable for the duration of the ride. Enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
ok you guys keep forcing me to post pics of my bike :D

i'm planning my owner personal century ride this spring... also wanting to get a lot more miles on 2 wheels just outright so i'm setting up one of my 29ers as more of a road bike... thats the results (although it'll likely end up my primary and the surly end up the roadie for a while)

those are 700x40 CX tires... but slick in the center... perfect for me and $10 for the set (thank you nashbar)... vs the nano's they replaced it puts me 2mph faster average on the road... for a 10 mile ride that saved me 6 min vs what I did on the "smooth rolling" nano's... chose them for a little more cush and ability to take it off road if needed.

the origin8 spacebar (on one mary knock off) is AWESOME... i love the high sweep bar... standing power is amazing and they do have the 2nd hand position (hand full forward into the hook) i saw somone who put straight bar ends up past the curve to make another hand position (think cheap jones H bar)... I may try it myself (hey i have the bar ends laying around)... only way it could get better is some ergons... or maybe a REAL titec H bar...

for saddle... thats such a personal choice... find the one that works for you... also get some good shorts if you don't have some already...

chainring... i spin out a lot quicker with the shorter tire... i'll be tossing a front derailleur on there soon...

on the back end you may consider a narrower cassette.... the wide gearing on the road SUCKS... i've got an 11-28 i'll be tossing on there soon and that should help a little... i hate it when i'm spinning and it's not quite right... but the next gear is way off...

also suggest getting a computer with cadance... jenson has em for $10 right now...

whatever you do... enjoy it :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Off road or on I've always ridden a mtb, even did RABRAI a few times. Everyone is right on with the skinny high pressure tires and big ring. I'd also suggest a set of Ergon grips, they really save the hands and wrists. I have one set with the old style dinky bar ends; too small to be or any use. There is now a "Mag" bar end version, but I haven't tried it. I've found with just the palin old Ergons I can ride 60+ miles on crushed limestone trails with much less fatigue than my old grips with ends.

I got tired of swapping tires all the time, so I got a second wheel set to make converting easy. For my road wheels I also got a more road oriented set of cogs.

For what it's worth, it's unlikely you'll ever keep up with the roadies on a mountain rig so don't kill yerself. I had some great times on RAGBRAI with other mountain-to-road buddies, especially on those rare occasions where the ride was on gravel for a few miles. Man those roadies went through the tires & tubes! And such language too!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks SO MUCH for all the info guys!

The rims are 27mm wide, so I'd be looking at 700x28 or 700x32's - I've been searching around and seen a few options, but any specific recommendations are welcome.

Cassette is 12-32, so it sounds like a larger chainring should do the trick :)

I do have a pair of ergon grips (no bar ends) on there already (very comfortable for my large hands), so as I get closer to doing 60-80 mile rides for training I should find out if the handle bar is going to be a problem or not (I'm hoping not).

Noob question - I imagine I need a new chain if I get a larger chainring right?

BTW, it seems they are serving blue corn pinon pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Waves77 said:
Thanks SO MUCH for all the info guys!

The rims are 27mm wide, so I'd be looking at 700x28 or 700x32's - I've been searching around and seen a few options, but any specific recommendations are welcome.

Cassette is 12-32, so it sounds like a larger chainring should do the trick :)

I do have a pair of ergon grips (no bar ends) on there already (very comfortable for my large hands), so as I get closer to doing 60-80 mile rides for training I should find out if the handle bar is going to be a problem or not (I'm hoping not).

Noob question - I imagine I need a new chain if I get a larger chainring right?

BTW, it seems they are serving blue corn pinon pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast :thumbsup:
The 12-32 cassette is fine. You'll be able to go plenty fast enough.
Screw on the bigger chainring in place of the bashguard.
If you try to put it where the current ring is, it will hit the chainstay.
Try putting the new ring on before you buy another chain.
What you need to determine is if there is enough chain to shift onto the biggest cog in the back. I would not do this while riding the bike.
If the chain is not long enough you can buy a new chain or you can add a link.
You may or may not need a new chain.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.