Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started off with a killer vacation last Tuesday- left Reno with my wife, her sister, two nieces and a pickup full of bikes. First stop was the Bizz Johnson Rail Trail near Susanville. We were the only people in the whole campground and got rained on that night (NOT in the forcast, but we managed), next morning I took the girls down the last saection of the trail from our campgropund into town.

Next stop Lassen NP. Awesome place! There`s still a lot of snow due to the elevations and the grades were very intimidating because I had plans to pedal them a few days later. We spent two days there hiking, dinking around the campground on our bikes, and checking out the sights.

Friday we packed up again, made a pitstop at Subway Cave near Old Station, and finished the drive up to Burney Falls (CA state park). It was another unbelieveable place- the way the water comes THROUGH the cliffs just has to bee seen to be understood. After a day playing around there, I turned my truck over to the old lady and strted pedalling home.

Attachments

·
weirdo
6,223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Part Two

This started out just as nice as the first part- CA route 89 "down" from Burney to Lassen has a rep for bad riding due to logging trucks, but it wasn`t bad. Maybe the lumber guys are feeling the pinch of the economy too and running less trucks. Anyway, it`s "down" by the map, but in actuality there`s a lot more climbing than coasting. The first day I made it back to a campground just inside the park with around 4k of climbing. The weather had been turning nasty for the last couple hours but I made it and got set up before it started raining. Later that night, it turned into a spectacular thunderstorm.

The next morning was a little drizzly, but no real rain. Fine by me- I have fenders and the mist made for cool riding and nice pics. Inside the park, the traffic is no problem at all. Comercial vehicles are prohibited and not many RVs are lumbering around. Also, the drivers were super considerate- a lot of them even waved. Taking it easy with lots of stops and lots of granny gear, I made it to the summit a little past noon, better time than I had expected and I felt fine. The downhill was like nothing I`d ever experienced before. Switchbacks like Alp d`Huez! Going down, I just kept tucked and spinning, shot through all the switchbacks because I didn`t want to stop for breaks or pictures or nuthin! Freakin awesome! Some how, I never even broke the 40MPH mark, but it felt like I wa breaking the sound barrier. At the bottom, my knees were hurtinig a little even though they felt great at the top. By the time I stopped for lunch in Childs Meadows, the right one hurt a lot. I only made it another hour after lunch and decided to call it a day, so I limped up a logging road to get away from the highway and made camp again.

The last morning I felt kinda sorta better, so I was a little hopefull at least. But after like an hour of riding I was in the little town of Almanor and I got off the bike to take a crappy picture of the lake and when I tried to start again my knee just flat refused. To make a long story short, I recently spent three months off the bike for a problem with the other knee and I`m pretty sure this is the same thing. So I didn`t even try to fix it up by more ibuprophens or milk a little more out of it- just called in for a ride home. Making matters worse, the first 30 miles of the drive home were on my intended route and I saw that it went down, down, down for the whole thirty miles. Dang! I couold have one-legged it if I had known! Anyway, I have an appointment with the ortho doc tommorrow. Maybe this timie we can skip out on all the MRIs and X-Rays and just get right to the cortizone injection that finally did the trick last time. Here are the pics from Burney to Lassen to Almanor. Maybe next year I can post the ones from Greenville to Beckwourth to Reno- that`s really more mtbr materieal anyway, since it`s where the dirt part of the ride comes in.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts