Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Dogs off leash is not always a good idea

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  iheartbicycles 
#1 ·
People should not take their dogs off leash in Redwood Park.

It's just stoopid.

My buddy ran over a dog last night when it darted right in front of him.

Poor dog. The owner deserves a swift kick in the nuts - or moosenuckle - whatever the case may be.

-end rant- ;-)

#2 ·
Hopefully that owner quickly learned his lesson.

I have the same problem with humans and dogs off leash, either during my runs or bike rides. When I approach the non-leashed human or dog and politely let them know I am passing on their left. Of course after I slow down.

What do they do?

Turn left into me. Crash ensues. :D

#3 ·
baycat said:
Hopefully that owner quickly learned his lesson.

I have the same problem with humans and dogs off leash, either during my runs or bike rides. When I approach the non-leashed human or dog and politely let them know I am passing on their left. Of course after I slow down.

What do they do?

Turn left into me. Crash ensues. :D
I doubt the owner feels any responsibility for their dog getting run over. They usually blame us.

I just got a dog and have been training him to be a well behaved, in control, trail buddy. But I'll never take him to Redwood, off leash. There's just too much traffic.

#4 ·
GGNRA Lands are also Verboten for off leash Dawgs+ Vehicle are fair game too

iheartbicycles said:

My riding buddy in Pacifica, w his 2 dawgs, has incurred over $500 in off leash fines the last 8 months due to being collared 2 different times. Once on Sweeney Ridge+Mori Point w his 2 dawgs off leash.
Both ticket episodes occurred after dark, w GGNRA rangers positioned in their trucks, night vision equipment seemingly (unknown) used to spot him+lay in wait to accost him.
Thing is, his last tix for both dogs happened above Shelldance Nursery-4th of July wknd, on the Mori Point tr that connects Sweeney+eventually Mori Point.
His vehicle was parked at Shelldance, and , as his bad decision making would have it, had expired vehicle registration tags.
Not only did the ranger(Sarah) tix him for unleashed dogs, but had him lay splayed on the ground because she mistook a dawg brush in his back pocket for a weapon.
She had his vehicle towed($400), spent time accusing him+ his walking companion of attempting to feed her false identities, being the gal walking w him's name was an english equivalent for Serenti(Sasha) and is what she goes by here in the states.
Dawg's off leash fines- $500
Vehicle impound fee's- $400

He said he's goin to court for his 2nd incident,

Ouch

#6 ·
ssulljm said:
iheartbicycles said:

My riding buddy in Pacifica, w his 2 dawgs, has incurred over $500 in off leash fines the last 8 months due to being collared 2 different times. Once on Sweeney Ridge+Mori Point w his 2 dawgs off leash.
Both ticket episodes occurred after dark, w GGNRA rangers positioned in their trucks, night vision equipment seemingly (unknown) used to spot him+lay in wait to accost him.
Thing is, his last tix for both dogs happened above Shelldance Nursery-4th of July wknd, on the Mori Point tr that connects Sweeney+eventually Mori Point.
His vehicle was parked at Shelldance, and , as his bad decision making would have it, had expired vehicle registration tags.
Not only did the ranger(Sarah) tix him for unleashed dogs, but had him lay splayed on the ground because she mistook a dawg brush in his back pocket for a weapon.
She had his vehicle towed($400), spent time accusing him+ his walking companion of attempting to feed her false identities, being the gal walking w him's name was an english equivalent for Serenti(Sasha) and is what she goes by here in the states.
Dawg's off leash fines- $500
Vehicle impound fee's- $400

He said he's goin to court for his 2nd incident,

Ouch
Dogs are allowed off leash in Redwood. But it's still a bad idea. There are shitloads of people out there, running, riding, walking and lots of dogs.

I saw one pack of dogs get into a fight, several piles of ****, one dog get run over and many out of control - all in a 2 hour period of time, last night.

Dog owners need to think about where they are taking their dogs, and whether or not off-leash is appropriate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.