Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
mathlete
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will preface this post by stating that I’m a dog owner. I do take my dog out on short rides with me. I do, out of courtesy for other trail users, scoop / scoot the poop off the trail if she happens to go while out on our ride. Branches and fallen leaves work wonders. I am by no means implying that if you don’t you are a bad owner. Some people do and some people don’t. The purpose of this post is merely to share my riding experience today and my new found belief in a silly superstition. :)

For those of you who aren’t up to speed with voodoo terminology a gris-gris is a curse or hex, bad juju, or nasty mojo.

On my ride this morning I noticed an extra ordinary amount of dog poo land mines upon entry into the woods. I try my best to dodge, weave, and bunny hop the buggers. I ride on thinking nothing more of it. Two minutes into the singletrack my rear break starts to squawk making a horrible turkey warble. I stop to inspect the rear brake and yuck…I notice I was not so lucky traversing the earlier mine field. I do my best to scrape the mess off my tires and caliper with a branch and try to squirt water from my camelbak to wash the remainder away and ride on. The turkey warble comes and goes intermittently for the duration of my ride :mad:

An hour later I again notice that acrid smell emanating from my front wheel this time. I don’t give it much thought knowing the navegals I’m running shed mud and other trail debris easily. Another minute later after small drop I ‘ve done a thousad times, I botch the landing and pinch flat. I do the scrape and wash thing again, change the tube and ride on.

Forty five minutes later I notice a smell again! Grrrr. Serioulsy. Seriously? Again? A minute later and at the bottom of a small but fast down hill the bike takes another hit and I hear the familiar hiss of air leaking from a tire. I scrape and wash again. At this time I am annoyed that I’m out of tubes and will have to use a patch to fix this one. Upon inspecting the tube I notice the stupid presta valve has broke off. I dig the 1st tube out of my pack to patch it but notice that I have lost part of my CO2 pump. Arrgh.

Bad juju indeed. Coincidence? I think not. I ended up walking he bike home 4 miles...this is after riding ~ 24 miles. At the time I was regretting not driving to the trail head. If I did that, with the luck I was having today, I would have lost my keys on the trail as well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As Forrest Gump would say "$%it Happens". Glad to hear it was all mechanical and you weren't hurt.

I have those days once in a while and alway try to change the gris gris by saying at least I'm not working...then laying low as possible to let the nasty mojo move on!

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
cycleologist said:
... I am by no means implying that if you don't you are a bad owner. Some people do and some people don't. ...
I'll imply it...I'll go even further and flat-out state it.
If someone doesn't have the common decency to clean up their dogs' sh!t off of the trail, then they are bad, inconsiderate, a$$hole-douchebag, owners.:madmax:

·
amar la vida de dos niner
2,682 Posts
Oh, man. Sorry about that.

I had a case of Giardia last spring that most likely came from a creek crossing at a trail that is heavily-populated by dogs and their owners. Lots of nasty doggie behavior out there, enabled by irresponsible owners.

PS As a fellow trail user, thank you for being one of the responsible owners.

·
Meat Clever
678 Posts
Similar expierence two weeks ago. Dog poo on rear tire and deposited at warp speed on the chain stay/BB/seat tube. Clean it off, but cannot escape the hideous odor for the rest of the night ride. Get back to the car and my buddy notices a nice dog poo racing stripe down the back of my right shoulder. Fantastic - thanks dog owner.

·
i call it a kaiser blade
744 Posts
if you get dog crap on a tire, you will inevitably get a flat and have to get your hands all sh!tty.

or it will flick up in your face.

or it will get all up in your drivetrain/brakes and get all worked in nice and deep where you won't be able to ever get it out.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I'm with you

But I will jump on the blame game. If you take your dog out you need to take care of the mess. I'm tired enough of the coyote, fox, bobcat crap etc ending up on my tires; my dog however loves to get the news from the wilds.
On a related note "WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE HORSE OWNERS FEEDING THESE HORSES? IT GLOWS LIME GREEN, AND WREAKS." Oh well I guess it fertilizes the plants by the trails. I don't understand how a dog owner gets a ticket for a 1 lb steamer, but a horse owner gets a free pass for 10 lbs of fertilizer; and they could carry a shovel with them easily.

·
Yes, that's fonetic
3,893 Posts
slowrider said:
But I will jump on the blame game. If you take your dog out you need to take care of the mess. I'm tired enough of the coyote, fox, bobcat crap etc ending up on my tires; my dog however loves to get the news from the wilds.
On a related note "WHAT THE HELL ARE THESE HORSE OWNERS FEEDING THESE HORSES? IT GLOWS LIME GREEN, AND WREAKS." Oh well I guess it fertilizes the plants by the trails. I don't understand how a dog owner gets a ticket for a 1 lb steamer, but a horse owner gets a free pass for 10 lbs of fertilizer; and they could carry a shovel with them easily.
We have horses on our trails too and I'd much rather run over one of their piles than that of a dog. On a very unpleasant overall scale, a steaming pile from an herbivore beats that of a carnivore any day! Definitely the lesser of two evils IMHO.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
whodaphuck said:
We have horses on our trails too and I'd much rather run over one of their piles than that of a dog. On a very unpleasant overall scale, a steaming pile from an herbivore beats that of a carnivore any day! Definitely the lesser of two evils IMHO.
I concur...road apples are nothin more than recycled alfalfa (basically). Plus they're easier to see and distinguish and thus easier to avoid. Horse heaps you see ahead of time, while dog doo you smell after the fact - too late:eekster:

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
It's all natural

Rumer has it that here in O.C. Ca. we have a sick, anti biking biped who craps in the middle of a narrow section of singletrack:eekster: If it's true I hope a souther pacific rattlesnake bites him or her where the sun don't shine.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.