Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
^ That's what I do
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So my family's dog Lucy (1 year 9 months beagle/pitbull) destroyed a Christmas gift that my mom was going to give to her friend today. I had the day off and was out of the house for 90 minutes. I came home and opened the door and Lucy ran towards me with her tail between her legs. She knows she isn't supposed to do this stuff. We have had gifts sitting under the tree for a few weeks and she's never touched them before, so we thought she wasn't interested. 90+% of the time she doesn't do anything. She's a very loving, playful and high-energy dog. Still we don't like coming home every few weeks to find something ripped apart. We always close doors in the house so she can't get in there. She has free reign over the kitchen and living room area though. Basically, anything that isn't high off the ground is what she likes to get. She has gone after books, shoes, TV remotes, DVDs, stupid decorations that my mom buys, fake plants, rugs, her own bed and other things.

So I would like to know how to stop Lucy from destroying things. We would prefer to not have to put her back in a crate again. We kept her in a crate when she was a puppy but stopped in when she got older and stopped chewing things as much. Here's a picture of Lucy.

·
^ That's what I do
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Jeff. Lucy has a toybox in the living room and she does take them out when she wants us to play with her (she'll bring it to you, it's cute). I don't understand why she won't play with them while we're gone though.

·
I dig trails!
5,611 Posts
flipnidaho said:
it's time to take her out on long runs or bike rides... exercise does wonders for a dog's demeanor.
+2, exercise & getting out and sniffing around will also do well for a dog's separation anxiety.

They are pack animals and being alone doesn't fit their natural behavior. So you gotta feed the personality when you are there. :thumbsup:

P

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
+1 on a partner.

We've had 2 cats for a while. My wife got Abby from the shelter and she was fine by herself. Annabel came and ran inside my apartment on very cold morning and just moved in. We had them both for a while, then found out Abby had feline leukemia. When she died, Annabel turned into a very bad kitty. Destroyed things and wouldn't play with her toys. The vet told us to wait a little while and test Annabel again for feline leukemia before getting another pet. One day, the vet called and told us a kitten was left in a box at the office and wanted to know if we wanted it. With having 2 cats, they are now both well behaved.

Edit: Cats can't go biking with you. I wish I could have a dog, but the landlord has a 2 pet maximum. :(

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
my dog chewed through an extension cord once (just messing around pulling it aroudn then WAM YELP YELP YELP)...man she hasnt chewed anything since

anyway not that she was a bad chewer...actually that was the only (non chew toy) thing that shes ever chewed

+2 on the excercise, i make sure to take her on the bike in nicer weather, or just a walk now that theres snow and ice and its below zero

·
^ That's what I do
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mr.P said:
+2, exercise & getting out and sniffing around will also do well for a dog's separation anxiety.

They are pack animals and being alone doesn't fit their natural behavior. So you gotta feed the personality when you are there. :thumbsup:

P
We (dad and I) take her on a few walks most days (probably a total of 2 hours or so). Today I took her for a short walk before I left the house. She gets a lot of attention and playtime when everyone is home too. Thank you all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hopping_Rocks said:
We (dad and I) take her on a few walks most days (probably a total of 2 hours or so). Today I took her for a short walk before I left the house. She gets a lot of attention and playtime when everyone is home too. Thank you all for the suggestions.
How often does she get to run and really burn off energy?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Do not train your dog this way!!!!!!!

spazzy said:
my dog chewed through an extension cord once (just messing around pulling it aroudn then WAM YELP YELP YELP)...man she hasnt chewed anything since

anyway not that she was a bad chewer...actually that was the only (non chew toy) thing that shes ever chewed

+2 on the excercise, i make sure to take her on the bike in nicer weather, or just a walk now that theres snow and ice and its below zero
My first yellow lab did the same thing. If it wasn't in her bowl or out of someone hand she did not chew it. Even her rawhides. She would push them up to us with her nose but would not chew them until we picked them up aand handed them to her. She was a great dog.

·
Ride Responsibly
1,946 Posts
My dogs assume everything is theirs, and I realize this. So when I bring something home, as soon as I walk in the door and they start sniffing, I just tell them "NO, Not Yours". Have to be careful when the grandkids visit with toys, I show the kids how to tell the dogs "No". You just have to communicate, let them know the boundaries.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
Definitely needs to burn off energy, you can just see the energy she has in that photo alone. Taking her for walks is one thing, but as FlatFender said, on these walks does she get to run? When I say run I mean really run, like a few miles, play fetch etc? Heck my about 6 month old I play fetch with every day for about 15 mins morning and evening and take for a walk and once a week take for a good run 60+% /walk <40% about 2+ miles in the fields.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,275 Posts
Hopping_Rocks said:
We have had gifts sitting under the tree for a few weeks
There's your problem, that's basically asking for it with a dog, especially a 9mo old one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have two dogs, but only one was a chewer (rescued farm dog). If we would leave him for hours at a time (like in between lunch and when I get home from work, about 4 hours), he would dig out a pair of my wife's shoes (only one, complete pair) or one of my hats and chew on them. Once he realized we'd always come home he stopped.

I'll *nth tiring him out and not tempting him with items at his level, especially if there are smells associated with them or they make noise if he nudges them. He'll learn pretty quickly, so just be glad he doesn't chew up pillows, sofa cushions or car interiors.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Exercise is a great solution. Another thing that works sometimes is cayenne pepper mixed with water into a spray bottle. Anything they are chewing on that you dont want them to, just give it a spritz. They will stop chewing it, unless they like hot stuff..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.