Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Bipolar roller
1,386 Posts
For Clydes, old bikes are too small to rock. My old xxls feel like kids bikes compared to a properly sized modern bike.

·
Ride what you like!
712 Posts
This thing just shows up and does what it's supposed, day in, day out. Might upgrade to disks someday, wet rim brakes are the worst thing about old technology.

Bring the hate, we can handle it

·
Registered
719 Posts
One of the scariest forks ever made. Zero rebound and lateral flex like a noodle.
I had one... it had a Noleen NR2 shock (like the one in the photo?). So rebound damping was nonzero. The earlier ones with elastomer shocks were worse, I am sure. I don't remember lateral flex being an issue - it's a double crown after all.

But to me, the J-path of the axle was what made it a scary descender. Went OTB many times on steep descents, with the front wheel tucked up under my low-and-forward XC flat handlebars...

·
Ride what you like!
712 Posts
No hate but I'd change that pogo fork before the brakes.
Agreed. One of my first upgrades was to remove this from the shock

Should be fine now?

Hoping to find both shock and brakes at the same time on the used market, wheels are a little whack too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Nice dude - if the bike works, why not ride it - presently my old bike is just a rock with front forks finally giving up after meager 14 years of use... haha. Many new bikes are pretty expensive for what you get in my opinion so I don't mind riding 'older' geo, still pretty fun - although older tech can be less forgiving...

·
Registered
403 Posts
Almost everything on my 2008 Pitch is outdated. 26" wheels, 135 mm bolt on rear axle, 1 1/8" straight steerer tube coil fork, 750 mm Easton bars, 2x9 drivetrain, imperial shock, etc...

The only modern thing on this bike is a dropper post which if you look carefully, you'll see the the external routed cable gorilla taped to the top tube.

Despite what the current industry standards dictate, and some of the jank, this is still an awesome bike. The original plan was to retire it and sell it once I took ownership of my new 29er FS trailbike this year, but I don't want to anymore. Between the adventures, parts upgrading, crashes, skills developed, and the occasional local xc race there's just too much history to part with it. Even though I rag on this bike about how dated it is, it rides well.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Almost everything on my 2008 Pitch is outdated. 26" wheels, 135 mm bolt on rear axle, 1 1/8" straight steerer tube coil fork, 750 mm Easton bars, 2x9 drivetrain, imperial shock, etc...

The only modern thing on this bike is a dropper post which if you look carefully, you'll see the the external routed cable gorilla taped to the top tube.

Despite what the current industry standards dictate, and some of the jank, this is still an awesome bike. The original plan was to retire it and sell it once I took ownership of my new 29er FS trailbike this year, but I don't want to anymore. Between the adventures, parts upgrading, crashes, skills developed, and the occasional local xc race there's just too much history to part with it. Even though I rag on this bike about how dated it is, it rides well.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk
Thats a sweet ride!!
I also like making the point that the horst link suspension has been used by many bike companies over the years and still used to this day!!
Probobly more now that the patent expired!!

61 - 75 of 75 Posts