Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
16,341 Posts
I thought the car analogy might come up. When I've purchased a new car then hopped in my old one I go through the "how did I ever drive this thing" thought process just like I do with bikes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hell yea. Mk1 Blue Pig 140mm forked and Bontrager rigid builds. Just did a full rebuild and upgrade on both.
Never getting rid of em. Love em. :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine did (2001 Santa Cruz Superlight) and still would if finding parts for it was easier. I will probably hang onto it but currently waiting on a 2021 Rocky Mountain Soul and I am thrilled about riding a bike with current geometry. It is definitely a budget bike compared to my superlight but I don't get to the trails as much as I want. Already got a list of upgrades in the works.

But back on topic, I have loved limping along with what upgrades I could find for the superlight and still love riding it. I do have a wish to grab an old cro-moly or ti framed hard tail and doing a build up on it but life gets in the way.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
Hate to tell you, that Burner 3.0 with no dropper and narrow wheels is getting old. Have owned a Burner 2.0, Spot, Burner 3.0, and 3.1. Loved all of them, but now on a Banshee Prime v3, and it was a significant upgrade. Even Dave Turner says he would only recommend getting a bike designed in the last few years with newer geometry.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hate to tell you, that Burner 3.0 with no dropper and narrow wheels is getting old. Have owned a Burner 2.0, Spot, Burner 3.0, and 3.1. Loved all of them, but now on a Banshee Prime v3, and it was a significant upgrade. Even Dave Turner says he would only recommend getting a bike designed in the last few years with newer geometry.
Don't need no stinken Dropper Post, I've got 3 different wheelsets, I'm running 2.4 tires with 17lb front and rear, corners like a dream. I ride mostly in a heavily wooded terrain, tight corners, loads of roots. When I bought the bike I actually spoke to Dave on the phone and when I described where I ride he claimed that the Burner would be perfect. Check out the Tomac 78 Special, that's what I was riding prior to the Burner, the Burner was a huge step up. I bought the frame on sale after Turner stopped selling Alu bikes. Never been a fan of Carbon Fiber, too pretty, anodized Alu please. I can't afford to buy a bike every time they tweak something in the design.
I agree with Vespasianus It's not what you ride as long as you ride.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Benn reading a lot lately about all the latest and greatest bikes.
2k 3k 4k+ rides, 11 or 12 gears, slackhead angles, clutch derailleurs, carbon this carbon that blah blah blah!!
I dont knock the new stuff or the people who buy them.. In fact good for you if thats your bag!
But im starting to see more and more.. That includes this site too!
That the old stuff sucks !!
"Really" is my response, im fifty flippin five and I bomb on this 04 s-works Enduro!! Have about 600$ into it tops!!
Check this vintage POS out!!
5" travel front and rear, z1 freeride last of the open bath forks!
Vintage xt junk throughout!
Performance platform pedals at least 5 years old!
Conti mountain king and the ever loved (lol) maxxis Ardent 2.4 up front.. Dropper post added cause ya I really needed it Diety bars and wow maybe a 50 or so mm stem!
8 " Avid code brakes not for show I need them!!
Oh ya and its a69 head tube angle probobly 68 with the flip switch and 5 inch fork.. Deadly angles huh!! Oh.. and dont forget the ever so unfashionable 26" wheels!!
Bottom line is I love this artifact, and it still rocks!!
So show off your awesome ride 2" 3" 4" inch travel who cares!! oh ya and hardtails rock.. They still make those!!
Oh ya and I dont care if 10 mph is bombing to you!!
Then your BOMBING IT baby!!
what?! Old stuff sucks?! KMA!!!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Why do I get the sinking feeling that you’re not wearing any form of pants/shorts for this picture…
It's been suggested there should be t-shirts made that state don't follow me. Where a lot of families have or had the parents waiting for the kids to be done playing or skiing or biking, our kids often waited and still wait for the parents to be done. I wish consulting on being a teen stuck in a sexagenarian's body paid as well as my day job.

·
Registered
347 Posts
My son still does a fair bit of good work on my old 2008 Stumpjumper. It's been modernized but the suspension itself is very capable and the bike itself is incredibly fun and easy to whip around compared to modern bikes.

My 26 year old Wheeler I bought in 1995 still rocks pretty good too. Though it gets refreshed with old parts from other bikes to keep it sort of up to date and alive.

·
Registered
2 Posts

My next-door neighbor GAVE ME his old Cannondale F700 ~2 weeks ago, that thing impresses the crap out of me every time I ride it.... this is immediately on my return from a ~25 mile trip, I for some reason wasn't wanting it (the ride) to end...

·
No known cure
4,386 Posts

15 years old with low, long and slack geo. It rides the same as my current GG Smash but is quicker in tight single track. Not so much in other areas.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
"New" geo is nice for jump lines and flow ***, but sucks in tight, fast tech, but buy what the man says you need to buy. I'm sure there's a 60 head tube out there for fitness trails.
Lol im sure they will soon lol
My son still does a fair bit of good work on my old 2008 Stumpjumper. It's been modernized but the suspension itself is very capable and the bike itself is incredibly fun and easy to whip around compared to modern bikes.

View attachment 1939097

My 26 year old Wheeler I bought in 1995 still rocks pretty good too. Though it gets refreshed with old parts from other bikes to keep it sort of up to date and alive.

View attachment 1939098
Wow a girvin fork!!
You are brave!!
Nice!!

41 - 60 of 75 Posts