Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
9,330 Posts
I like playing the nostalgia game once in awhile as I had a lot of bikes over the years. I did have a 2002 Enduro Pro but in hindsight I am glad I moved on from that bike. My current bike isn't a hugh departure from my older bikes (4" travel, 68* HA, alloy faux bar suspension) but it is enough to provide a more refined riding experience. Buying used I paid a similar price , to the Enduro frameset, 15 years later.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Older bikes can be quite useful, however replacement parts and lack of selection is a huge disadvantage.
Went through the same thing when I finally upgraded this past June.

Did my old bike Rock? Ya, but not like my new one does.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Planned obsolescence is vital to any industry, bikes are no different. But unlike some things like phone batteries etc old bikes actually do still function, so it becomes necessary to indulge in image obsolescence. Thus, 26" wheels, tires with tubes, whatever, need to disparaged so everyone will go out and spend that $7,000 that is necessary to have a shot at KOM. The question is really "do you as an individual place value on the criteria being used to determine something sucks?" Read some ski magazines - across the board you'll see how it is impossible to ski powder on boards with inadequate girth and rocker, just impossible. Although millions did so and enjoyed themselves fully before that crap became the norm. It's the same with any gear oriented activity. All that new technology probably does make some things easier, and for a lot of consumers easier = better or even mandatory. But you might not embrace that mantra and that's totally OK - other people's opinions should never diminish your ability to enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Both rock in different ways. They both like rocks and get along like sister ships.

View attachment 1938697

Photos taken a month apart.
Where is that? That buttress in the background looks like it might be a rad climb.

Back on topic, yeah I have an old bike. Though it's newer to me than my new bike is. 😄 Still rocks. Short wheelbase, rigid fork, 26er and 71° hta makes the steering telepathic. Braking is...less so.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I've never heard someone with a nice bike openly put down a stranger's old POS, but I constantly hear those same POS owners say negative things about nice bikes they've never even ridden. It's almost like they're jealous, otherwise they wouldn't bring it up.
Interesting observation. I've noticed the opposite, that people with expensive modern bikes are disparaging of cheaper older bikes. But I acknowledge I might be biased, as the owner of a cheap old bike. Regarding the jealousy thing, I can assure you that's not the case for me, although it might come into play for some folks. I could drop $10k on a bike tomorrow if I really wanted to. I'm just not convinced it's the best decision at this point.

For now, I'm riding my first mountain bike (see avatar), a 2009 26" hardtail, which I converted to 1x7, upgraded a few misc components. I like the tinkering, seeing what works, learning about the modern equipment. Yeah, it has actual tubes in the tires (gasp!) but I still have fun with it. Oh, almost forgot to mention, I "upgraded" to friction shifter, and no regrets!

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
View attachment 1938607 forgot to add a pic of my dinosaur
Looks like you hardly ride it or bought a hardly ridden bike. My Enduro that looked like that was scratched up and pretty worn in a few years and IIRC, that's a near 20 year old bike. Suspension bikes (and skis) are consumables. You need to beat on them in a dating Miss America sort of way.

My old Typhoon rocks. My old suspension bikes are glad to be gone and not one of several was ever in the league of its replacement. Much of the old stuff progression was stupid compared to where trail bikes are now.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Looks like you hardly ride it or bought a hardly ridden bike. My Enduro that looked like that was scratched up and pretty worn in a few years and IIRC, that's a near 20 year old bike. Suspension bikes (and skis) are consumables. You need to beat on them in a dating Miss America sort of way.

My old Typhoon rocks. My old suspension bikes are glad to be gone and not one of several was ever in the league of its replacement. Much of the old stuff progression was stupid compared to where trail bikes are now.

Im on second rear triangle and had it clear wrapped for several years its ridden but pampered i guess l

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I've never heard someone with a nice bike openly put down a stranger's old POS, but I constantly hear those same POS owners say negative things about nice bikes they've never even ridden. It's almost like they're jealous, otherwise they wouldn't bring it up.
Ive read some things k ocking older bikes not a lot but enough.
I also said if a new bikes for you go for it!!! I just know I can do same stuff on my old steed just fine.
Thought about a newer bike and have tried them.. But just cant justify getting rid of a bike i really like and really works for me.
Ive heard some negative things about older bikes, bad angles, old tech, whatever.
Ive tried the newer bikes 27 and 29. I even have a 29er hard tail thats my gravel bike.
I just know theres guys out there running older stuff and it still rocks.. Maybe I wanted to get that out there as well.
Ive got nothing against new stuff said that in the post!
I just cant justify getting rid of my old bike when it works so good for me.
And i know that it cant be just me!! Peace!!

·
No known cure
4,386 Posts
"New" geo is nice for jump lines and flow ****, but sucks in tight, fast tech, but buy what the man says you need to buy. I'm sure there's a 60* head tube out there for fitness trails.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It is like riding old car:

Not the best comfort
Not the best reliability
Not the best safety

Still doing what is designed for
Still could be fun

However new one are much more comfortable, faster, fun, safer and reliable

Cheers
Older cars are much more fun then new ones imo. Rest is true though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Reactions: slapheadmofo
21 - 40 of 75 Posts