Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is that for a title?

I just bought an 03 epic with a newer brain on it and I noticed that the brain rubbed on my rear spokes...

I took the bike out of the box and tossed on some crappy parts to test it out as I don't have all of the new parts I need, yet. Its pretty much a single speed at the moment with an old LX 8-sp rear hub and mavic rim. The spokes on that junker wheel tend to rub against the brain when the brain is tilted toward the wheel.

I'm wondering if this is something that other epic owners have experienced? I plan to shoe the thing with mavic crossmax xl discs but because I don't have them I don't know if the spokes are going to rub the brain like what I'm seeing now.

Any feedback is very much appreciated.

-thanks

·
Registered
532 Posts
Crossmax's are stock wheels on some Epic models so they shouldn't have a problem. Unless your bike has been modified in some way, normal wheels should fit. I run Chris King hubs and 717's and have plenty of clearance between the shock and the spokes...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...unless its been modified:

Is a 2003 frame with a 2004 brain considered a modification in this case?

There are two things that I notice, 1st the shock and brain assembly has the ability to rotate about the rear shock attach point. The rotation is due to the ball-style link but it only allows the brain to move 8mm at the top of the unit.

The 2nd thing is I replaced my old junker rear wheel with a different junker and there is no more rubbing. The spoke clearence isn't much but the spokes make it by without touching.

-thanks TXNavy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.