Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Being a recent weight weenie, I have noticed many heavy guys wanting to ride an ultra-light bike. WTF? I think it totally defeats the purpose, by riding something that cannot handle your poundage. I asked some of these guys why, and they said it makes their rides much easier. Very true. But, a light bike DOES NOT replace fitness. Now, I know to each his own......but I feel you shed the weight off YOURSELF first, then get a light bike to compliment a leaner, fitter rider, right?

When I began riding a MTB in 2006, I was a porkly 225lbs/102kg. I was 42-years-old, 5'7"/175cm, and I had a 36-inch/91cm gut. Tying my shoes required taking a deep breath, and HOLDING it while I tied my shoes. I did this with a groan every day. Being a 2-pack/day smoker did not help, either. My first bike was a 2004 Gary Fisher Zebrano HT. At 31-pounds/14kg, it got me very excited about riding- despite the fact it was only a comfort/path bike. My enthusiasm for riding really began when I finally said goodbye to cigarettes. Not only did my breathing get better- but I was actually able to go around the block....more than twice! When I started logging 10 miles/16km/week.....I upgraded to a new, 33-pound/15kg Trek 4900 disc HT. By then, I was riding about 40 miles/64km/week, including some mild hills. I rode that heavy hardtail for almost a year, everywhere. A year later, I dropped 50 pounds/23kg, just from changing my eating habits, and riding regularly. Before, I was consuming between 4000-5000 calories a day. Those calories consisted mostly of ice cream, pizza, and junk food. By starting to count my calories- I was able to drop my intake down to under 2000k/calories/day. This made the weight fly off me. I was so excited- I decided to become a weight weenie, in anticipation of being a much lighter person. Now, with a 19-pound/9kg Cannondale HT- my rides have opened up a whole new dimension to my experience. I am now riding 100 miles/161km/week, and doing it while being 70lbs/32kg lighter. I went from not being able to see my weight on the bathroom scale- to having a six-pack(9% body fat), for the first time in my entire adult life.

Now, at 44- I still plan on racing. However, due to being obese all my life- my improving heart still needs some work. Being lighter myself, and riding a light bike is truly the BEST way to go. Having only half the weight reduction, is not fully enjoying the benefits of being a WW.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
That's awesome :thumbsup: keep it up!

I have a slim build, 6'0", but was up around 175 pounds about 18 months ago. I got back down to the low 150s with some basic dietary improvements and more frequent, longer rides. My bike is not much account as a weight weenie build, being an extra-large aluminum hardtail and still above 22.5 pounds / 10.2kg, but I enjoy looking for ways to improve it.

So we are both "tall & thin" :) and hopefully both of us can still get stronger & lighter.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
It does now!

Start of the year i was about 115kg - through calorie counting and riding twice a day i dropped 25kg in 8 months.

I have now put about 5kg back on due to not riding for various reasons but i still keep my calorie intake below 2500 per day.

Im hoping that A: i'll get some new wheels in the next two weeks and B: the sun might come back out in Scotland and everything wont be froozen and covered in black ice!

So my aim is by middle of 2009 to be 85kg or under.

·
Super Moderator
6,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tiffster said:
It does now!

Start of the year i was about 115kg - through calorie counting and riding twice a day i dropped 25kg in 8 months.

I have now put about 5kg back on due to not riding for various reasons but i still keep my calorie intake below 2500 per day.

Im hoping that A: i'll get some new wheels in the next two weeks and B: the sun might come back out in Scotland and everything wont be froozen and covered in black ice!

So my aim is by middle of 2009 to be 85kg or under.
Never under-estimate the power of calorie counting. The numbers never lie. Only people do. Once we can consistently stay below a set caloric limit.......the weight comes off almost magically. Great job, Tiffster!

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Which one?

It probably does match my Kona Coiler, but not the weenie Fly Ti hardtail. Not sure about half a dozen other bikes in various stages of neglect that are in my garage. I am a tad over 5'8", and a tad under 200lb now, which does put me into obese BMI. I sure have around 15 extra pounds, but I wonder why they would call me obese, I still can run a marathon, or do a couple dozen chin-ups...

·
Waiting for Godot
1,055 Posts
if you use a height to weight calculation this would be better.

me:
70"......150lbs = 2.14" per pound
bike:
38"......22.5lbs = .592" per pound

so no, we don't match. but we do ride great together.

·
Always Learning
9,593 Posts
Zachariah said:
When I began riding a MTB in 2006, I was a porkly 225lbs/102kg. I was 42-years-old, 5'7"/175cm, and I had a 36-inch/91cm gut.

Being a 2-pack/day smoker did not help, either. just from changing my eating habits, and riding regularly.

Before, I was consuming between 4000-5000 calories a day. Those calories consisted mostly of ice cream, pizza, and junk food.

Now, at 44- I still plan on racing. However, due to being obese all my life- my improving heart still needs some work.
Congrats on the lifestyle change and improved fitness.

Dang, after reading about your pizza, ice cream, junk food and smoking - I'm heading into the kitchen for a bowl of Kashi Heart to Heart !!:D

BB

·
All my faucets is Moen.
1,292 Posts
That's awesome Zachariah congrats on the lifestyle change.

I myself started racing and riding seriously just last April. I lost 20-25lbs (down to 190lbs) in the summer and haven't touched a smoke since my 30th birthday in May. The riding was fun and losing the weight was a bonus.

I ride a 30lb Kona Cinder Cone and have obviously found it much easier lug around since I dropped the weight. I'm not sure a 5 or 6 lb drop in bike weight will make much of a difference.

·
bike rider
5,562 Posts
I always drop a duece before a race. That's like at least 2 pounds. I also use the smallest Camelback with minimum water and gear in it. It's weird when you see someone wearing a huge pack on a bike that they spent choke biffs to get light.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Lelandjt said:
I always drop a duece before a race. That's like at least 2 pounds.
I would guess you may be overestimating your abilities. Average poop weight is half a pound. (if I remember correctly from a long time ago when I had to make weight for a competition)

Better option is to eat chunky salad for a couple days and flush it with half a gallon of buttermilk. It gets stuff out that you would not have guessed you are carrying around.

:cool:

·
Don't be hasty.
525 Posts
Lelandjt said:
I always drop a duece before a race. That's like at least 2 pounds. I also use the smallest Camelback with minimum water and gear in it. It's weird when you see someone wearing a huge pack on a bike that they spent choke biffs to get light.
HAHA YOU'RE FUNNY

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have a story similar to Zachariah.

I currently weigh about 75kg, down from my all time-high of about 85kg six months ago. I'm about 5'8" tall. I'm not a hardcore weight weenie (9.1 kg steel hard-tail), but for me the process of upgrading and lightening my bike got me inspired to ride by appealing to the tech-nerd-tinkerer in me. This renewed inspiration and interest in my bike as a precision machine has resulted in me really enjoying being back into cycling. I have also given up smoking (well maybe one or two a month ;)), I'm eating better, stress level down, etc.

So basically, yes I still need to concentrate on lightening my body even more (another 10kg would be awesome), but the process of upgrading and lightening my bike has helped me get inspired to ride and get fit.

·
Angry bunny
4,948 Posts
I am wondering if I am one of "the heavy guys"?!?!?
Nearing 41; 6'3" tall and 85kg/185lb but this is down from around 100kg or 220lb as a result of me following a Weight Watchers points system. I dropped about 15kg in a couple of months.
I have been down to around 83kg but whenever I do I have to be careful as I suffer badly from dizzy spells if I stand up too fast. I am just starting to ramp up my riding again as I plan to have a fairly full season of endurance events in 2009.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Lelandjt said:
me too, except no hydropack just 1 bottle.

oh yea, im 160lb 6'1",have been gradually gaining weight since turning 21,will lose it training for a 24solo this spring, and my bikes range from 20lb-33lb, depending on which of the 7 you pick.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.