Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Autonomous
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting new-agey or esoteric here, but do you think your bike has soul?
Or has a soul? inanimate object yes, however, it’s worth a thought.
Today while riding (at Mammoth) it seems as if the bike responded, knew what to do, before I did. Consequently I had 2 incredible days of shred, even by my standards.  Well?
After y’all are done rollin yer eyes, let’s hear from you!
Btw I don’t take things very seriously, even this post.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Getting there! My bike has my blood on it, dried up but it's DNA. Also I rode it wrong/bad balance and it bucked me off, then I bled all over mother earth so it has my DNA also.. if it's got DNA it's got SOUL!!
hehehe
RIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
EAT MORE GRIME
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
7,875 Posts
My bike takes me from one raw wound to the next, so yes a dark soul.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Does anything have a soul? Maybe. The things that keep me from being atheist are the existence of the universe, life, and consciousness.

But a bike is made by people, to be what it is. So no, I don't think a bike has a soul. It can still be amazing. You feel a certain way when you ride about it, you are trained by advertising and community to invest even more meaning into it.

Bicycles per se have only existed for about a hundred and fifty years. That's like 3% of recorded history. Prior to recorded history - the time between the invention of art/language and the invention of writing - there's a thousand lost generations. Prior to that there are ten thousand generations of **** Sapiens lost to us. What did they think and feel and know?

·
Up In Smoke
Dirt Roadë
3,281 Posts
Dang, sounds like y'all need to upgrade. My bikes all have soul, a little bit of character as well. Sometimes I wonder if I'm riding my bike or just along for the ride. Follow too close to me and its sure to be a train wreck.

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
Some bikes do have soul. For me, my bike slowly morphs into a bike with soul. After a few wrecks, the kind where you’re bleeding and hurt, embarrassed, humbled. Laying on the ground, dirty, injured, but you slowly get up and walk over to your bike, pick it up , look it over to see how bad IT’S hurt. Then together you limp back to the truck, the whole way going over the crash in your head. You start out blaming everything, the bike did it to me, the rock I didn’t see, the log or branch that I clipped. But sure enough, after enough time together on the way back, you realize it was your own fault, not the bike. And think about the times when you were in over your head, going way too fast, coming up short on a jump, missing a curve, those times the bike bailed you out, maybe it was the suspension, good brakes, or shear luck. The memories and experiences that you have with a certain bike after many trail rides with friends, or alone, some good, some not so good, yeah my bikes have soul.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.