Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From day one I've had to wipe down or pretty much fully wash off the bike after every ride or it creaks like crazy, or at least more than my 3 year old Giant Trance with 5000 miles on it did anyway - which is super annoying since it cost a little more than twice as much as the giant.

It's very dry and dusty here in So Cal and there are so many crevices / bearings / bolts on the shock extender they all seem to pack with dirt on every ride.

I've only got about 600 miles but I suspect the latest creak is from the mount du bushing. Seems very early to be worn enough to make creaky noises but if I pull it and wipe everything down it disappears for about half a ride to a full ride till I start hitting some chunk and then it's back to creaking on every solid compression. At first it kinda sounded like seat rail creak till I realized it happens standing up too. I've spent more time checking and cleaning and re-torquing bolts on this bike in 500 miles than I did the entire 3 years I had my giant.

Is this common for yeti's or maybe just the flexy back end on the SB's is more prone to creaking? Or maybe I just got a noisy one

·
Registered
738 Posts
From day one I've had to wipe down or pretty much fully wash off the bike after every ride or it creaks like crazy, or at least more than my 3 year old Giant Trance with 5000 miles on it did anyway - which is super annoying since it cost a little more than twice as much as the giant.

It's very dry and dusty here in So Cal and there are so many crevices / bearings / bolts on the shock extender they all seem to pack with dirt on every ride.

I've only got about 600 miles but I suspect the latest creak is from the mount du bushing. Seems very early to be worn enough to make creaky noises but if I pull it and wipe everything down it disappears for about half a ride to a full ride till I start hitting some chunk and then it's back to creaking on every solid compression. At first it kinda sounded like seat rail creak till I realized it happens standing up too. I've spent more time checking and cleaning and re-torquing bolts on this bike in 500 miles than I did the entire 3 years I had my giant.

Is this common for yeti's or maybe just the flexy back end on the SB's is more prone to creaking? Or maybe I just got a noisy one
Check your Fork. Fox 36 are notorious for creaking at the crowns. I have had 2 or 3 all had creaking after 300-400 miles. I just got used to it but it is a pretty common problem. I also ride in socal and our bikes just take a beating because we basically ride on concrete with super rough rocks and dirt.

I had a little noise but cleaned and re-greased my dropper and it disappeared.

If you think Yeti's creak alot you should ride an Evil lol.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've wasted many hours tracing down phantom creaks on all of my bikes. They generally ARE NOT where you think they are.

Check these if you haven't already:

1. Pedal spindle threads. Apply some grease before installing. This one took me a few weeks to trace. I ended up doing a deep clean and lubrication on my bike(which it needed anyway). The very last thing I did was apply grease to the spindle threads. Noise was gone. Sound stupid? I thought so too until this fixed it.

2. If you're using used pedals from another bike, it may be time to service/rebuild. The DU bushes wear out over time creating vertical movement.

3. Saddle rails. Lubricate where the rails go in to the saddle with oil or silicone spray. WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. Also add some lube to the rail clamps.

4. Tighten your rear axle. And front axle.

5. If you're using Guide brakes, some pads like to rattle around. Lift up the front of the bike, and drop it. If you hear tapping noises, it could be coming from the pads. Same for the rear. I have Guide Ultimates on my SB100 with metallic pads and they're just noisy tapping about. I got used to it. But I did get it to quiet down slightly by swapping the pads from front to rear.

I've had creaks where it sounded like it came from the headset and it was actually located in the rear axle. Think outside the box. I've yet to come across an incessant creak that came from where I thought it did.

Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My SB150 started creaking the other day during a ride, only a few rides after it was brand new.
I found out that the suspension pivots were not tightened to spec.
I re-tightened all pivots with a torq wrench and the creaking stopped.

Since then, I recheck them one in a while to see if they have not loosened, but they haven't yet.
I suspect they were not tight enough from factory and loosened by themselves.

·
Registered
25 Posts
sb130 creaking

Mine has creaked in the seat tube area since day 1 and just this weekend started in the headtube stem area and its loud and annoying. I will tear things apart lube, torque and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SB130 headtube

I took the front end a part to check things and try and fix the awful creaking. I have never taken a headset design like this a part before and I have a question about the bearings, are they suppose to just fall in and out by hand?

Daren

·
Registered
205 Posts
It could literally be anything. If you are technically minded, just strip the bike down completely and rebuild it re-greasing everything and tightening everything to correct torque.

My SB130 doesn't make a single noise - well, except my shoes squeaking on my SPDs (I need to grease my shoes! lol).

Oh - One thing did make a noise. After a muddy ride I found debris had got in the cable guides, so made a noise when the suspension was compressed (which pulls the cable through a bit each time). I fixed this by fitting bend grommets at the cable entry and exit points which reduces the risk of debris getting in and holds the cable tighter so it doesn't more. I initially thought this was the DU bushing as the noise from the cable inside the frame was in a similar place. You can check if this is your issue by deflating the shock and moving the rear swing arm without putting pressure on other things.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahah apparently riding this bike is like having a really hot gf, they both tend to be high maintenance lol

Pulled the bars and fork last night, cleaned the headset and re greased everything. Pulled the back of the shock off the extender link, cleaned and re-greased the collet axle & wedge bolts. Cleaned out the cervices between the two sides of the extender link. Also wiped down the rear brake cable as well as I could an inch or so up to where it sits in the frame. Think that's a spot that needs a grommet for sure.

Bike was quiet as can be today, like brand new.

·
Registered
881 Posts
The mistake you're making is cleaning a dusty bike and washing all lubrication from all the interfaces.
Yup, all that cleaning leads to creaking. So funny seeing all the people with overly clean bikes at the trail head. They look great but all that time spent scrubbing comes w a negative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Also in SoCal, my SB130 has had a knocking noise from day 1 in the seat or seatpost area, I can push my thigh against the side of the seat while I pedal and get it to stop. (Something’s moving) Shop says bring it back they’ll look at it. Owned a lot of bikes, never had one that makes noise like this, super annoying especially given it’s a high end bike

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a creak in my top tube or headset that drove me bananas cause I thought it was a carbon frame weakness issue and made me resent buying second hand.

I tore my headset down and found quite a lot of dirt under the cap so I took it all apart except for the bearings. Wiped and cleaned and put it all back together without greasing it and the creak is TOTALLY GONE!!!! I am so happy.

Now I just have to do it all over again and grease it all (I think).

Anyone have a link to a video or guide that shows which parts to grease?

And I assume standard ole waterproof bike grease (ie Phil’s Waterproof Grease) will do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Magically Delicious
11,829 Posts
It's rarely the lubrication of a component that corrects the problem, but the proper torqueing on reassembly that fixes the offending creak. When specified torque is no longer being met, relative movement and the resulting noise is most often the culprit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.