Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
middle ring single track
4,687 Posts
Cryptic post of the month here. Needs better title and context imho
Good article though. Not sure how one could create an "interesting" MTBR thread title without showing a bias.

The situation being discussed in the article definitely has parallels here in California. Except that coastal central CA doesn't have that much federal land.

IMBA isn't mentioned once though.

The king is dead.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Is it really an access problem, or a situation where two groups can't/won't work together for a common goal?

Doesn't sound like there's a problem building trails.

·
Old,slow,still havin fun.
1,104 Posts
The genesis of the conflict can be traced back a decade, when forest transients were Nederland's biggest problem; they often set up camp in the middle of trails or used the singletrack as their bathroom.
That sure sounds familiar. :sad:

·
Life's a Garden, dig it!
4,556 Posts
The biggest issue I would have is, why do the trails need dumbing down in order to allow for expanded access? Why not leave them as is and encourage users to build their skills instead? Work with the locals to develop a shared vision maintenance plan, instead of altering what's there.

·
Registered
519 Posts
The whole too steep, erosion, sustainable trail argument is so annoying. Don't build a trail there like that, but we will come in every few decades with dozers and heavy equipment and log the area... But your 12" wide hand built single track is an environmental Hazzard. 🤷*♀🤦. At least that seems to the norm where I live.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
there in need of a access management, improvement strategy in order to reduce or maybe eliminate the conflicting goals and objectives of the populations and stakeholders. My profession allows me to practice creating these strategies for freeways, and arterials but im interested in how you'd create the same thing for a trail network.

·
Registered
my hair crawled away
544 Posts
As much as I also don't like logging, there is some oversight on their activity. Where as not all unsanction trails are designed with longevity in mind. Many of these trails get washed away very quickly.

When putting trails in a system, plants, animals, land should be of upmost priority. Then human activity is secondary, which means you will hear the phrase "you CAN'T"

is that annoying ?

·
Cycologist
10,354 Posts
The biggest issue I would have is, why do the trails need dumbing down in order to allow for expanded access? Why not leave them as is and encourage users to build their skills instead? Work with the locals to develop a shared vision maintenance plan, instead of altering what's there.
Agreed, I find the whole article bizarre, and kind of sad:

Two days later, a new trail had been cut adjacent to the original. Some of it had been machine graded into a four-foot-wide path with none of the technical challenge that defined the prior route.

"Look, we need to be able to take people up to the forest, because we have such capacity issues in Boulder. And we need for them to not get in over their heads," says BMA President Marcus Popetz.

We snake down the new Aspen Alley-much wider than the original, with whoop-de-do jumps-and make our way over to Hobbit Two and Three, where BMA's machines are working to expand and smooth the trail.

Sounds like the city folks just wanted a place to build flow trails.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.