Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding today when all of a sudden pedaling did nothing and I just spun.(almost banked my knee on the stem) The chain was still on so I came to a stop to check it out. My bike is a 06 Fisher Rig and it probably has about 1000 miles on it and less than a year of use. I purchased the bike from a bike line and I bought the 60 dollar free tune-ups for 5 years deal. Anyway to the problem. I took the bike in and the store owner was there. He said that it seems that my freehub on the Bontrager hub was shot. He said he has noticed this happening pretty frequent on Rigs that see alot of use. He said depending on use he has even had his team riders replacing them at the rate of 2 a year. So I thought ok cool hes seen this before so he'll just set me up and I'll be on my way in a couple days.

He then says its not a big deal (while describing his team riders that have had the same problem) and that it was only a 20 dollar part with a hub overhaul service fee. I then asked what the overhaul would cost and he says $15 dollars still acting like it was not that big of a deal. Well considering I dropped over a grand on the bike (at this shop) and have constantly maintained it usually after every ride I am a little surprised I have to pay for the part let alone the service. Am I in the wrong here? Should I call Bontrager? The shop? Refuse to pay? Eat the cost and service charge?

P.S. One of the mechanics was explaining the problem to him and when the shop owner mentioned that I'd have to pay for the part and the service even the mechanic said well [owner] this is a pretty new bike, to which the owner quickly retorted these parts get worn out depending on usage.

·
Banned
240 Posts
I'm no expert and don't have a lot of LBS experience but didn't you buy free tune-ups for 5 years? Or does that not cover repairs?

I think it'd be ok to buy the part but not the service right? But I'm probably missing something.

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,939 Posts
All shops charge for service, its where they make the money to survive (its damn well not from selling bikes). A worn out freehub body isn't the shop's fault, and "tune-ups" don't cover taking apart hubs to replace the freehub body. Tune-ups cover minor adjustments of gears, brakes, and ensuring all the bolts are tight and in some stores, MINOR wheel truing and maybe adjusting headsets and hub cones. Anything actually requiring dismantling though is something else and subject to service charges. Bontrager may or may not replace the broken part under warranty, but they're not gonna pay for it to be installed and the shop isn't going to want to do it for free. The fact you bought a $1000 bike has no bearing on the matter. You could buy a $300,000 Ferrari and burn out the clutch in a thousand miles, they're still gonna charge you a labour charge to replace it.

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MrKalentine said:
I'm no expert and don't have a lot of LBS experience but didn't you buy free tune-ups for 5 years? Or does that not cover repairs?

I think it'd be ok to buy the part but not the service right? But I'm probably missing something.
Yea free tune-ups for 5 years. Not sure if this includes "Hub Overhauls" What this entails I think is up for dispute. I would just think that Bontrager would be liable to a replace a part that is shot within a year. Is this not a clear case of manufactures defect or is it normal for a part to go from new to completely useless within a year.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
You are complaining about a $20 part and $15 labor charge? I never cease to be amazed that some people don't think that LBS guys have a right to earn a living, too.....

Personally I'd consider that wear and tear; tune ups are usually derailleur and brake adjustments with a little bit of lube thrown in.

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DeeEight said:
All shops charge for service, its where they make the money to survive (its damn well not from selling bikes). A worn out freehub body isn't the shop's fault, and "tune-ups" don't cover taking apart hubs to replace the freehub body. Tune-ups cover minor adjustments of gears, brakes, and ensuring all the bolts are tight and in some stores, MINOR wheel truing and maybe adjusting headsets and hub cones. Anything actually requiring dismantling though is something else and subject to service charges. Bontrager may or may not replace the broken part under warranty, but they're not gonna pay for it to be installed and the shop isn't going to want to do it for free. The fact you bought a $1000 bike has no bearing on the matter. You could buy a $300,000 Ferrari and burn out the clutch in a thousand miles, they're still gonna charge you a labour charge to replace it.
Thanks for your response and laying it out for me. I didn't mean that my bike price nor any bike price for that matter should have a bearing on getting the bike fixed so it came out wrong my point should have been that I bought the bike from them and have only had it serviced by them. I can afford the labor and so forth but until it was explained I felt shafted.

Now I may be wrong but I doubt hubs of higher quality, hope, king, phil have these issues after one season of riding am I right? The owner can say it till he turns blue in the face that my amount of use caused this but 1000 miles is damn near no where what it sounds like people are putting on their bikes. I weight about 160 in wet clothes and scrub the drivetrain and lube after nearly every single ride. Never do drops and don't think i've been higher than a few feet and rarely if/when. This I guess is more a question about whether better quality hubs have these issues rather than should the shop fix this.

I've been on the fence for lighter wheels and more durable hubs this may have just pushed me over.

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
formica said:
You are complaining about a $20 part and $15 labor charge? I never cease to be amazed that some people don't think that LBS guys have a right to earn a living, too.....

Personally I'd consider that wear and tear; tune ups are usually derailleur and brake adjustments with a little bit of lube thrown in.
Maybe I did not make it clear when I said that I was inquiring as to whether or not this was a reasonable question. A couple posts before this someone provided a detailed response as to why it was not and it was received and understood. You on the other hand seem to not have fully read my post which is suprising considering your a moderator. To quote you, I never ceased to be amazed at how fast moderators jump down peoples throats on MTBR.com. Are you guys here to help or just be rude?

Edit: I had to copy and paste this just so that we are clear that I had written this.

GFisher2001 said:
Am I in the wrong here? Should I call Bontrager? The shop? Refuse to pay? Eat the cost and service charge?

P.S. One of the mechanics was explaining the problem to him and when the shop owner mentioned that I'd have to pay for the part and the service even the mechanic said well [owner] this is a pretty new bike, to which the owner quickly retorted these parts get worn out depending on usage.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
actually I read your post three times - but this IS the internet and things do not always compute the same way for different people. So, let me reframe my reply.

I am a little surprised I have to pay for the part let alone the service.Am I in the wrong here? Should I call Bontrager? The shop? Refuse to pay? Eat the cost and service charge?
I wouldn't consider paying a fair and reasonable charge "eating the cost". It sounds like normal wear and tear to me. I do most of my own repairs, but I do notice that " thank the guys for his diagnosis of the problem and his offer to fix it in a timely manner at a reasonable price because you are a customer" wasn't one of the options you list.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I agree with D8, unless the hug or freewheel body is warrantyable through Bontrager. I also understood your question and what you were trying to say. But from working in a shop you have to understand, you get in 10 customers a day complaining about prices and trying to beat you up for free crap all the time. " Hey , what can you do on the price of this bike?" I once had a chick roll up in a land rover and walk in to the shop in a mink coat ( still dripping blood) and try to haggle on a giant Boulder( 300 bucks) . It happens all the time. So, just take that into consideration when we are talking about a 15 dollar service charge. We have had days that it wasn't even worth opening the doors, because the money you bring in won't even pay the electric bill for that day. ;)

·
Ride 2 Work, Work 2 Ride!
1,469 Posts
With a bike that new and a known problem? I would have fixed it for no charge. I dealt with those hubs all the time. They are not reliable. Nothing but problems. You might try to get a deal on a more reliable set of wheels and keep the old ones as a backup.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
The Rose said:
I agree with D8, unless the hug or freewheel body is warrantyable through Bontrager. I also understood your question and what you were trying to say. But from working in a shop you have to understand, you get in 10 customers a day complaining about prices and trying to beat you up for free crap all the time. " Hey , what can you do on the price of this bike?" I once had a chick roll up in a land rover and walk in to the shop in a mink coat ( still dripping blood) and try to haggle on a giant Boulder( 300 bucks) . It happens all the time. So, just take that into consideration when we are talking about a 15 dollar service charge. We have had days that it wasn't even worth opening the doors, because the money you bring in won't even pay the electric bill for that day. ;)
Thanks for that... that is exactly where I was coming from. I don't own a lbs, but I do own a small specialty business so I always see that side of the coin first.

·
All 26.5" all the time!
1,855 Posts
The hub should be covered under warranty, the labor to replace the part is not.

Some shops will cover the labor charge out of the goodness of their heart, but they're certainly not required to.

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone for all of your info. I probably should have cooled off and showered before posting on MTBR.(Still had mud on my face) I had just walked in the door after having to walk out of the woods and someone had to pick me up cause I was still 4 or 5 miles from my car.(Very very chill and cool dude named Mark) It makes sense as all of you have stated that it is normal wear and tear (although the part i think should last longer and be under warranty but that is a different story and not the lbs fault) and therefore the shop is not responsible to repair at no charge. I will however be asking Bontrager or the LBS if the part can be comped at Bontragers expense. If they give me a reasonable other than "this happens to people all the time" (therefore being a known problem and expected!) than I'll be happy just to be on the bike riding it again.

I've spoken with the owner at a race before and when I bought the bike and he seemed like a cool guy. Today it just seemed(granted I may have been a little PO'd) like he blew off my inquiry and chalked it up to happening all the time and therefore I shouldn't expect it comp'd. (I would think that if it was so common than he would have been more of the manner I'll get in touch with Bontrager about making such a beat product rather than expecting the consumer should pay for it)

P.S. funny side note they asked about how often I ride and mileage and told me I should look into their team and the benefits of it. I wonder if getting hub overhauls is free if your on the team. <--------This was sarcasm

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thebigred67 said:
With a bike that new and a known problem? I would have fixed it for no charge. I dealt with those hubs all the time. They are not reliable. Nothing but problems. You might try to get a deal on a more reliable set of wheels and keep the old ones as a backup.
What are not realible? SS hubs in general, Bontrager Hubs or Bontrager SS hubs? Haha sorry for the question but like I said I will definitely be looking for new wheels after this incident under my usage(which is nothing compared to others I think).

·
Registered
75 Posts
I owned a retail business for a while, not bikes though. If one of my customers came in with your situation I would:
1. Get on the phone with Bontrager and raise hell because it sounds like this has happened several times. They would probably bow down to my demands and send me several replacement parts free of charge.
2. I would have a mechanic fix your bike for free because you are a good customer and bought a 5 year tune up plan and a bike. Some day you're going to need new pedals and all kinds of other stuff. I'd like you to buy that stuff from my store.

There are too many businesses out there that don't bother to cultivate any kind of relationship with their customers, then they sit around *****ing about big box stores and internet sales.

·
Registered
19,029 Posts
A blown freewheel in under 1 year and 1000 miles? Shouldn't that be a warranty item, rather than normal wear-and-tear? Why didn't they call Bontrager for you?

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Nat said:
A blown freewheel in under 1 year and 1000 miles? Shouldn't that be a warranty item, rather than normal wear-and-tear? Why didn't they call Bontrager for you?
Wow. WOW! For once I gotta agree with ..... Nat?

Why is everyone making comments on the little guy (LBS)? THEY didn't make it, Bontrager did. Bontrager should be paying for the part AND the service charge. Period. What, the LBS has to suffer for their design and their craftsmanship? Me no tucking fink so. :nono: The big fish that build it should own up and be the big fish that "saves the day" for everyone to live happily ever after. :thumbsup:

No, it's NOT big money - but it IS a big principle.

·
Registered
19,029 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Wow. WOW! For once I gotta agree with ..... Nat?

Why is everyone making comments on the little guy (LBS)? THEY didn't make it, Bontrager did. Bontrager should be paying for the part AND the service charge. Period. What, the LBS has to suffer for their design and their craftsmanship? Me no tucking fink so. :nono: The big fish that build it should own up and be the big fish that "saves the day" for everyone to live happily ever after. :thumbsup:

No, it's NOT big money - but it IS a big principle.
Har! I can be pretty unreasonable, hey? Too funny.

I've had an occasional component fail while under warranty and not once do I recall paying a single penny to replace it. Not even for labor. Same goes for my cars. Warranty meant warranty. No chargey to fixey or replacey.

·
Just hit it with speed
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nat said:
Har! I can be pretty unreasonable, hey? Too funny.

I've had an occasional component fail while under warranty and not once do I recall paying a single penny to replace it. Not even for labor. Same goes for my cars. Warranty meant warranty. No chargey to fixey or replacey.
Should I take this up with Bontrager or the LBS?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.