Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I took my new frame, headset, and bottom bracket to a local bike shop for installation. For hand-facing the head tube (with a file, NOT a head tube reamer), chasing the BB threads, and installing the headset and BB, the tech quoted me $100.00 in labor.

Does that seem a little bit high for about 15 minutes worth of work?

I had to go with him, since this bumble-fark southern town has only one bike shop that's worth a damn.

B

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
Squatch said:
Alright, so I took my new frame, headset, and bottom bracket to a local bike shop for installation. For hand-facing the head tube (with a file, NOT a head tube reamer), chasing the BB threads, and installing the headset and BB, the tech quoted me $100.00 in labor.

I had to go with him, since this bumble-fark southern town has only one bike shop that's worth a damn.

B
Depends on what method they use to calculate thier shop labor rates. If they charge $25 to chase the BB threads,$20 BB install, $20 HS intall and $20 to face the headtube......then sounds about right.

Chasing the BB threads usually is not cheap.....because if it goes wrong...it really goes wrong.

mtnbikej

P.S. Be prepared for the barage of "That is why I do my own work on my bikes" responses.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What kind of frame is it and do you really need all of that done? I think most frames these days come faced and chased. I've never had to do this and I have built plenty of different bikes over the past 10 years. I think a lot of people would say the same. I would also think that this would be included in the headset and bottom bracket install if it was necessary, otherwise you can just do it yourself at home.

·
Registered
804 Posts
high

Squatch said:

Assuming it was just face chase and install - that would probably be a $40 job at my LBS.

Did they give any indication why they prefer a file to a facing tool?

Might be a 15 minute job, might be 30, but it is certainly something you do not want to rush or have done by someone inexperienced. A hundred bucks still sounds high though.

Did they have to string up cables and do any additional assembly?

·
Registered
804 Posts
drug users

Beer is nice but it doesn't pay the rent. If your auto mechanic preferred liquor over cash would you really want him (or her) working on your vehicle?

·
sadly, like the element
400 Posts
Well, secret handshake club usually requires an induction purchase (mid range bike) and monthly fees (gu, tubes, tires, tools, etc). But it's nice when the guy has some time to show you how he installs things so you can do maintenance on it when you're unable to get to them in time. Installed my headset for a 12 pack and walked me through disassembly, greasing, and reassembly on the spot.

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Squatch said:

B
"Hand Facing" a headtube is useless - as the point in "facing" is to make the top and bottom of the HT absolutely parallell, which is impossible via hand-filing one face then the other.

Did the BB really need chasing? mid/high end frames will have had that done at the factory....

$100 seems high - but if it were my shop I'd charge that just for someone buying stuff online/used/wherever and dragging it into my shop! That's why (as noted above) I do it all myself....

Installing a BB takes maybe 3-4 minutes, and the tool costs anywhere from $8-$35.

A headset press can be had for $125 (Park) but a pc. of threaded rod, nuts, washers and aluminum adapters (to not damage the cups) can be had for $12-$15 and works pretty dang well! A pc. of 1 1/4" PVC or other pipe can be used to tap the crown race onto your forks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.