Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, well I'm hoping to be sawpping my 03 sherman breakouts for some 05 sherman slider plus, the only thing that has me worried is that the guy has told me that the forks are really soft and they get through the travel easily, but he's also told me he has no air in the spv so I'm wondering whether that could be why, anyways he's sent me a video of him compressing the forks and im just wondering as to whether he should be able to get this much travel out of them while there not on the bike? thanks Joel
:)

G

·
Looks ok to me, thats not that much travel, I would have expected more if he has no air in the chamber. The SPV has to do with bob, as I recall so there is no way that it would resist that much of a force, like the video is showing. I would think with a heavier spring that fork would be good to go if you didn't want it that plush.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot for your reply, Iv'e posted this on several other forums and your the only person who could give me a straight answer, so thanks, I was just worried as he says the fork gets through its travel really easily and he though that it may need an oil top up, sp thanks for your reply :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
why, it doesnt look like theres anything wrong with the seals on the fork.

although an oil change might be nice.

now, back to the point...

...running the fork with no air in SPV can possibly damage it, if you dont want the platform, you can remove the check valve.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Going through travel too easily has more to do with not having enough main spring pressure then it does having too little damping (although too little damping doesn't help matters). It's about balance. If HE is going through travel too quickly that doesn't mean that you will - the frame, geometry, riding style, weight distribution etc. all play a role in this.

The only way you'll really know is to put it on your bike and get it dialed in for you and your variables. Not having any SPV pressure isn't helping matters at all - where's the bottom-out control? Some might argue that it won't have as much effect as it's "only" responsible for the last part of travel, but it's still an important part of the equation.

Agreed with no SPV pressure - go way to ruin it.

Better hope HE doesn't read this and decide not to sell/trade all of a sudden. :p :D

·
Oh, So Interesting!
5,801 Posts
Doesnt your '03 have tpc+ damping? I don't know myself, but when I was researching a new fork most people like tpc+ much better than spv. Maybe best to stick with what you have, or spend the $$$ for a real upgrade, like a Marz 66 or '06 Boxxer Ride...

·
Registered
37 Posts
looks like there is no air in the damping assembly.. without air, the SPV valve is fully open letting oil run in and out, so there is no compression or rebound damping..

that fork would be a handful to ride with in that state..

and shermans are notoriously undersprung, but compression & bottom out are tunable through some SPV fiddling. so the sherman can be acceptably tuned even if spring intially feels a bit soft.

but in saying all this, the video doesnt indicate whether the SPV's internals are ok or not..

·
Registered
44 Posts
i have a minute 2 with SPV. As i have posted before getting the SPV set up right is a major ordeal and if you ask Manitou about set up you will get different answers depeninding on who you talk to. Also the fork and rear shock seem to need different presure amounts.
First of all i don't think you can damage the SPV with too much air as it is not a rubber valve but a metal one. I could be wrong about damaging it but i talked to a manitou rep last year when trying to figure out what i wanted. You may be able to damage it though from running no air in the chamber.
Watching that video is exactly what my fork does when my SPV doesnt have enough presure. The SPV system blanaces air on two sides of a valve. If there isnt air on the one side of the valve you have no balance.

Anyways here is the a link on hwo the SPV works. It is a rear shock but it is the same idea.
http://www.orangebikes.co.uk/technical/spv.php

Click on the blue picture that says SPV in the corner.

To me there doesnt look like there is anything wrong with the fork.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
You have to run a minimum amount of pressure in the SPV, not doing so could result in damage.

SPV tends to make the fork notchy. The Breakout will be much smoother. You can always devolve the SPV to make it more compliant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.