Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Ride up to ride down.
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a quote from a guy that is talking about buying my Id in the classifieds section. It looks like several other fraud items I have seen in the past. What do you think? It seems like he is trying to get me to pay him for stealing my bike?

:mad:
Thank you for the email,i would be planning to ship the bike once neccesary arrangements has been made with you.

I have contacted my representative in the states who owes me a total amount of $4900,and he has agreed to make out a cashiers check or money orders on my behalf for the payments.

Having it in mind that business is based on trust ,i would like you to received the check cash it and wire the excess funds after removing the payment for the bike which is $2850.Than i would like you to wire the remaining $2000 through money gram to me so that i would arrange for the shipment of the bike .

If you agree with these terms mail me back with your fullname,address and phone number in which i would forward to my client in the US to issue out the payments to you

Expecting a response from you as soon as you can.

Mathew.

NB.Once you received the check i would like you to cash it immediatly and wire the funds so the shipment would commense.
 

Attachments

·
Hooligan
Joined
·
680 Posts
Vorman said:
It seems like he is trying to get me to pay him for stealing my bike?
He wants the money not your bike - he sends you a bogus money order/bank check/whatever, you send him the difference, then the bank comes after you when the check comes back as fraudulent- of course it's a scam - do a search for similar topics, it happens alot, a very common scam.
 

·
CB
Joined
·
48 Posts
Yes, typical scam artist

What would happen is that his so called "cashiers check" would bounce AFTER your bank credited your account. By then you would have wired him the "overpayment" of 2 grand. You'd be screwed. Most likely no one would ever take the bike. They just want your money.

Some people lead these guys on with never ending email chains and additional questions. Or you can tell him to just go F.H.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
yep it is a scam

Vorman said:
Here's a quote from a guy that is talking about buying my Id in the classifieds section. It looks like several other fraud items I have seen in the past. What do you think? It seems like he is trying to get me to pay him for stealing my bike?

:mad:
Thank you for the email,i would be planning to ship the bike once neccesary arrangements has been made with you.

I have contacted my representative in the states who owes me a total amount of $4900,and he has agreed to make out a cashiers check or money orders on my behalf for the payments.

Having it in mind that business is based on trust ,i would like you to received the check cash it and wire the excess funds after removing the payment for the bike which is $2850.Than i would like you to wire the remaining $2000 through money gram to me so that i would arrange for the shipment of the bike .

If you agree with these terms mail me back with your fullname,address and phone number in which i would forward to my client in the US to issue out the payments to you

Expecting a response from you as soon as you can.

Mathew.

NB.Once you received the check i would like you to cash it immediatly and wire the funds so the shipment would commense.
The Nigerian scam artists are going to rob you blind. Go to ebolamonkeyman.com and see the freaks this guy has exposed doing this same scam. He gets some revenge...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
There has got to be some way to shut this guy down, this is the 100th post about this scam. I wonder if the secret service would be intrested in persuing this case (and yes, I do mean secret service, they handle international fraud, FBI is federal only and CIA just does inteligence)
 

·
CB
Joined
·
48 Posts
It's not a guy....

Dax said:
There has got to be some way to shut this guy down, this is the 100th post about this scam. I wonder if the secret service would be intrested in persuing this case (and yes, I do mean secret service, they handle international fraud, FBI is federal only and CIA just does inteligence)
It's a bunch of guys. I've heard that there are seminars in Nigeria about how to do this. But it's not just Nigeria, scammers come from all over. A group of of them were just arrested, I think, in Nigeria. Just remember, when a deal sound too good to be true, it's a fraud!
 

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
Joined
·
10,913 Posts
that's the very scam that the stupid change to the classifieds, blocking the seller's email address for direct replies, was supposed to prevent. All it has prevented is sellers receiving a lot of replies from prospective buyers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
It is most likely a money laundering scheme. How it works is this guy has dirty money so "his friend" sends you a cashiers check for $4900. You send him a bike and $2800 or whatever. That $2800 has one degree of separation from him so its harder to trace back. He can then sell the bike for money. He'll probably sell the bike for maybe $1500 for a quick sale. He now has $4,300 that is one degree cleaner than it was before. Sure it cost him $600 but he doesn't care because dirty money is useless. He'll then just keep churning the money for a while using different techniques like that for a while until it is considered "clean" because it'd be almost impossible to find out where it came from.

These guys are small potatoes. Serious money laundering operations take place with multi-million dollar commercial properties and the like. These guys are just small time people and they're scared so they stay under the SEC reporting amount for transactions.

Fraudulent transactions such as this can be reported to the IFCC (joint operation between the US Department of Justice and the FBI). I think the website is http://www.ifccfbi.gov.
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Whatever it is...

Run the hell away!!!!

Make his "partner" to exchange all those checks and pay-pal just your money to you....

Total Scam... it's so obvious that this guy could be arrested easily....
 

·
Go Bears!
Joined
·
141 Posts
Warp2003 said:
Run the hell away!!!!

Make his "partner" to exchange all those checks and pay-pal just your money to you....

Total Scam... it's so obvious that this guy could be arrested easily....
Umm I wouldn't let those guys touch your paypal account with a 20 ft pole. Paypal has this annoying habit of freezing all accounts connected to a spammer. Meaning if you get scammed, they freeze -your- account and hold your money, since they can't get at the scammer. They just lost a lawsuit over it, but I wouldn't trust that they fixed their ways.
 

·
Ride up to ride down.
Joined
·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info

I had no intention of sending $$ or a bike to this guy but I thought I would post it to see if it had been seen. I should have done a search before posting but thanks again

Voree
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top