Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Lurker
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I biided on a bike awhile back and got a 2nd chance offer for a nice gary fisher sugar. I sent him a email saying I would still like to buy it and he replied with this:

Hi there,
Thank you for the email!
Firstly please excuse my delayed replies, for the time being I am in a worldwide
consultative engineering program at Oxford University in United Kingdom, so I
cannot stay online as often as I usually do.
After all, this turned out to be rather a business trip. I began this offer
because the winner of my auction withdrew his bidding(his daughter was having
some health problems). The price (according with ebay) will be the last bid
amount with shipping and insurance taxes included but i think that we can agree
at the following price : US $470.00. In order to start the process I will need
your full name and address for shipping:
First name:
Last name:
Address:
City:
Zip Code:

After that ebay will contact you via email and suggest you how I can be paid in
order to be under the eBay Buyer Protection Program(probably they'll chose a
wire transfer because my paypal account is currently pending because I've just
changed my bank account and it needs some time for clearing)!In the case that
you are not satisfied with the item you can have a
full refund! In the email from ebay you'll see the protection that you will be
offered! You'll also receive important guidelines and instructions from them.
Email me back with the requested details (full name and address) so we can get
the deal started.
Regards!

Structural Engineer at DCD HOME
The Design, Construction and Decor Resource
P.O. Box 1149
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601

The location of the bike though when it was listed was in AZ, he has 100% feedback but nothing since dec of last year and has only 33. what do you think?

·
CURB HUCK!!!!!!
492 Posts
That seems strange to me. Ebay says to deal with all purchases and conversation through them.
Something like that I would think ebay does, why would they expect you to do it? That's just me though

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just my experience with ebay, I have over 100 pos+ only feedbacks from both sellers and buyers, this sounds like a scam. I would never wire transfer anyone, you are not protected what so ever! Ebay has all your shipping info that is automatically sent so you shouldn't have to re-send thru email. If you are able to read his feedback and view the items sold, are they bicycle related or sports related? Available in AZ yet he is in another country??? That should be another flag. There has been a rash of stolen identities on ebay lately.
If you choose to follow thru use caution.....hope this helps

J

·
Registered
78 Posts
Run away from anybody who vehemently insists that their offer is 100% guaranteed by them and them only, i.e. no 3rd party is involved. Also, if he is legit then I'm sure he wouldn't mind waiting for his paypal account to "unpend" if you so desire it, though paypal is not 100% guaranteed either. In short if it looks or feels suspicious then it probably is.

Also, if you are bored, and you're pretty sure he is a scammer, you could always have some fun with him. I like to just plain waste their time and then, in the end, let them know that you were only wasting their time. It really annoys them. Ahh, the treats of international courts from a person who makes a living squeezing little old ladies out of their savings... the irony!

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
firstcut said:
I biided on a bike awhile back and got a 2nd chance offer for a nice gary fisher sugar. I sent him a email saying I would still like to buy it and he replied with this:

Hi there,
Thank you for the email!
Firstly please excuse my delayed replies, for the time being I am in a worldwide
consultative engineering program at Oxford University in United Kingdom, so I
cannot stay online as often as I usually do.
After all, this turned out to be rather a business trip. I began this offer
because the winner of my auction withdrew his bidding(his daughter was having
some health problems). The price (according with ebay) will be the last bid
amount with shipping and insurance taxes included but i think that we can agree
at the following price : US $470.00. In order to start the process I will need
your full name and address for shipping:
First name:
Last name:
Address:
City:
Zip Code:

After that ebay will contact you via email and suggest you how I can be paid in
order to be under the eBay Buyer Protection Program(probably they'll chose a
wire transfer because my paypal account is currently pending because I've just
changed my bank account and it needs some time for clearing)!In the case that
you are not satisfied with the item you can have a
full refund! In the email from ebay you'll see the protection that you will be
offered! You'll also receive important guidelines and instructions from them.
Email me back with the requested details (full name and address) so we can get
the deal started.
Regards!

Structural Engineer at DCD HOME
The Design, Construction and Decor Resource
P.O. Box 1149
Glenwood Springs, CO 81601

The location of the bike though when it was listed was in AZ, he has 100% feedback but nothing since dec of last year and has only 33. what do you think?
SCAM! Bad english, claim that paypal doesn't work, wants a wire transfer, mentions the protection several times. It's too good to be true as well. Run away. Or you could just keep baiting this guy. See if he will send it COD.

·
Registered
186 Posts
same deal

I had the same thing happen to me a while back on a bike!! It was totally a scam. The way you can really tell is if the message doesn't show up in your "My Ebay" messages as well as your e-mail. ALL second chance offers go thru Ebay and if you wire transfer money you'll never see it again. I emailed the original seller of the bike and he said that he absolutely had not sent me a second chance offer. A week later I won an auction and the second place bidder contacted ME to ask if I had actually bought the item cause He got a second chance offer!

Moral of the story: Buyer beware and don't fall for anything that doesn't come thru ebay.

·
Lurker
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks alot guys, yea it does seem to good to be true. I do have time on my hands so i guys ill screw around with him for a while. Thx for the input.

·
Registered
695 Posts
If it sounds to good or fishy to be true, it is.

n7... is right on. I had an "offical" looking second chance offer (complete with ebay logo) sent to me by email..along with less official emails...but the offer never showed up in my account, which I did not recognize until after I emailed him (he was tending to an emergency in UK):skep: He claimed the buyer could not finance, yet that did not stop the real seller from giving + feedback and noting prompt payment. Face it, if you bid a bunch a cash on a bike or anything else, the ebay slugs will slither from under the rocks and try to score a quick buck. I am sure :devil: is anxiously awaiting there inevitable arrival.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Recently there has been an increase in the number of eBay members receiving "spoof" emails with fraudulent Second Chance Offers - that is, an invitation to buy an item they'd previously bid on, but didn't win.

To help you keep your account secure and avoid any unsafe transactions, please follow the security guidelines we encourage all eBay members to observe:

* Check My Messages. If you receive any e-mails with a Second Chance Offer for an item you recently bid on, please check your My Messages inbox on the eBay site to make sure the offer is authentic. If it appears in My Messages with the title "eBay Second Chance Offer for Item...", it's authentic. If the Second Chance Offer does not appear in My Messages, or appears with a different title, it is not legitimate and should be ignored.

* Never pay with Western Union or Money Gram. eBay strongly encourages its members to avoid using instant cash wire transfer services such as Western Union or MoneyGram. It's against eBay's Safe Payments Policy for a seller to request payment via these methods as they've proven to be unsafe when paying someone the buyer doesn't know.

* Forward spoof emails to [email protected]. If you receive any email that refers to your eBay account and asks you to click on a link, look for the message in your My Messages inbox on the eBay site. If it isn't there, do not click on the link or enter personal information. Forward the email to [email protected]. This lets us take quick action on the fake website, and we'll respond to you within minutes to tell you if the message really came from eBay.

* Download eBay Toolbar. The eBay Toolbar includes Account Guard which indicates when you are on a legitimate eBay or PayPal site, and alerts you when you are on a known fraudulent site.

Thank you for taking these simple steps to ensure safe trading on eBay.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Run, don't walk. And report to eBay. And just look at this slimy jackass!

"probably they'll chose a wire transfer because my paypal account is currently pending because I've just changed my bank account and it needs some time for clearing)"

(yeah that's "probably" what they'll do. And gee, what a coincidence: you have a new bank account!)

"Glenwood Springs, CO 81601"
"The location of the bike though when it was listed was in AZ"
"I am in a worldwide consultative engineering program at Oxford University in United Kingdom"

(Leave no trace!)

"I began this offer because the winner of my auction withdrew his bidding(his daughter was having some health problems). "

(Awww, aren't you a sweetheart?)

People like this deserve to live in the world they create.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.