Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3 years in my loving bullit I found that the rear travel is nice and plush if I use a platform shock as the 5th element but without enough air on it, giving me almost no bob but soft enough for small sensibility and sof drops landings.

Now I`ll get a nomad with dhx5.0 coil rear shock. does the vpp system work better with a soft fork (lower spring rate or almost no air in the shock) or with a firm shock (air in the shock or a llitle bit higher spring rate)?

thanks

·
noMAD man
12,227 Posts
Hmmm...Pama, when I consider a harder or softer rear shock, I usually think of it in terms of damping level or a designed pedal platform in the shock. I'm getting that you're referring to boost chamber pressure and adjustments as paired with the coil spring. If I recall, you have/had a 5th E coil on your Bullit, so you realize how the more aggressive damping and SPV influence required a lower spring rate. That was very good IMO on a Bullit and other long travel single pivots, but not a good combo on a Nomad.

The DHX coil doesn't have as comparitively an aggressive pedal platform in its Propedal, so it requires a stronger spring. The DHX doesn't have as adjustable a compression damping as the 5th coil, and while I wasn't too hot on the DHX coil on my Bullits, I think they work quite well on the Nomad. The DHX has very solid mid-stroke compression support which compares nicely to the Nomad's suspension design. A PUSH'd DHX coil for a Nomad is supposed to be a whole level higher in its performance. The DHX will allow you to play with boost chamber pressures which do affect progressiveness, but it doesn't take much to start negatively affecting small bump compliance. It's a fine line. I actually preferred the high/low external compression adjusters on the 5th E coil in this area, but regardless, the DHX coil's compression characteristics seem to be a good match for the Nomad.

The Nomad, for most riders, doesn't seem to need much if any pedal platform, so keep that in mind when selecting or setting up a shock. Stronger pedal platform shocks like the Manitou SPV models may not be a good choice either, which is probably why Manitou is now also offerering the newer non-SPV Intrinsic Evolver models for pedal efficient designs like VPP, Maestro, DW, and others.

·
Some Assembly Required
4,063 Posts
TNC said:
I actually preferred the high/low external compression adjusters on the 5th E coil in this area
I had the 5th on my Bullit dialed in jus' right. When I went to the 8.5" of travel an' the DHX w/a soft spring, (too soft for me), on my VP Free, its like free fallin' backwards each time I g-out of something. I went from a 400lb to a 500 and I'm waitin' on a 550 now. I've still got a 5th in the shadows incase th' DHX jus' don't cut it for me, but I still need a 450 spring for it.
All in all, I became very accustomed to the feel of th' 5th & th' DHX feels bottomless w/8.5" of travel, almost too much for me. The Bullit was good at 7". Never bottomed it.

I'd love to try out a Cane Creek Dbl Barrel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.