Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple years ago I bought a HL Spot mainly to do the frame trade in. Started riding it and just kept riding it, but now considering the 2011 version. Would like to have the Maxle rear through axle (but I seem to remember DT saying they'd sell the rear end to existing Spot owners), but don't need the curve down tube or any of the other 2012 updates.

So maybe now is the time to pull the trigger and pick up a 2011 5Spot, if the discount applies. Would make a nice deal be too good to pass up for me if I could get a brand new frame for $1295 (another $300 below the Blue Sky price).

Anyone asked? I'm guessing it only applies to the full price, but never hurts to ask right? Obviously there are quite a few 2011s left, Jenson, Turner and Blue Sky are all marketing them right now.

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Not a chance.
Well I'd say the way the prices have fallen out of the sky on the 2011s in the last month, that its not out of the realm of reasonable to think that the prices could get to the $1300 range.

But yeah, pretty much my expectation that its only the MSRP price. Maybe if DT would just call my wife and say "Yeah its off the discounted price plus since its a Horst Link, you get a patent refund check from Specialized..."

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah no double dipping!
Then it makes no sense for someone doing a trade in, and lets face it a 2005 HL Spot doesn't have much resell value, to buy a 2011. Do the trade in and get the same price on a 2012.

Thanks for confirming, now to continue riding my HL Spot till it breaks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I emailed to ask about trading in my RFX for a Spot.

No dice:

Hello Dustin and Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, "double coupons" cannot be used for the sales event.

And 2012 product will not ship until January so I will have the new rear end cost in December.

Thanks again.

Lj Miller
International Sales Manager
Turner Suspension Bicycles
951.677.1711 ext. 3201

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
Yeah, no double dipping; that trade in value has always been a gimmick, although it's really bad now days with the year end blow outs at the end of each model year. It appears that a DHR is the only frame you'd put that trade in value to good use.

_MK

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
Turner should not sell directly to customers because it undermines their retail bike shops; however, it is a high margin sale. Other companies do it also; no middle man to pay. Good deal for Turner and bad deal for the local bike shop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.