Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kinda redundent ot what I just posted in the other guy's "SRL setup thread" Hopefully, I can get some answers here since that other thread might get ignored due to the typical "do a search" response...

I setup my SRL to approx 20% sag (6mm of stroke at 130psi...I weigh 170lbs). When I finally got it out for it's maiden voyage this weekend (on the road...) It was bobbing like crazy. Every pedal stroke made the suspension bob from 1/4" to 1/2" of stroke. When I'd put the lockout on, it felt like someone was pushing me, since I was losing so much momentum to the shock. It's my understanding that any VPP type suspension requires 20% sag to make it perform properly to get past the "bad" part of the wheel travel path.

In order to make the bob quit, I had to switch to about 155psi, leaving the bike with only 1-2mm of sag. I am getting the feeling that the "platform plus" does nothing.... I'm afraid at 155psi the bike is going to ride like a HT and negate the great suspension.

Has anyone found the sweet spot with this shock, or do I need to do an e-bay switcheroo for an RP23?

·
illuminator82
251 Posts
no easy way out...

went through this before myself...lol
had manipoo srl rear shock and r7 front.
both were crap to me...... stiction stiction
sold bike cuz thought it was the way it was going to be.. have a trance 1 with fox on front and rear and it totally rides like a different bike, wait it is a different bike.
now have ridden the anthem with for rp2 in rear with both reba and fox up front and the bike rides completely differently... thought they were going to keep manipoo on it forever and sold the bike as that shock length had no aftermarket support...
do yourself a favor and get the fox....

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fox

You are right.

I rode a few bikes with the SPV and thought it was a great shock. The platform worked great. I thought the SRL would be OK, but for my riding style, I just need some platform.

I love my REBA and Revelation....

Fox RP23 has been ordered. I think it will make a big difference.

·
TranceX Rider
948 Posts
used2Bhard said:
Fox RP23 has been ordered. I think it will make a big difference.
It will surely does! :thumbsup: Nice! You've made the big switch! Just installed mine after New Year though only got to log in about 200kms but I'm loving it! Rides like a dream! :D

Go0d luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
fox rp

Hi guys
please let me know the exact size of ur Fox rp23 as I am going to order one for my Anthem. Also what is the length of the stroke.And lastly wheres the best deal?
tks
mike

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rp23

I believe I got the 6.0 x 1.25" I got mine through a team deal, but I saw some on the web yesterday for around the same price.

It totally transformed my bike.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks for the reply

Hi
what price did u pay for the RP and where did u see it on the net?
And lastly what did u do with ur old one if its in newish condition will u sell it and how much.
regards
Mike

·
mutaullyassuredsuffering
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spark

I saw them here while researching the Scott Spark.

http://www.sagecycles.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=RS01FXFT01

I paid the same price with tax through my team deal, so that isn't bad...of course my team deal must not be that good...

I do still have my Manitou SRL. It has a whopping 10 miles on it. I would be willing to sell it, but if you have the money to upgrade to a RP23 I would recommend it. PM me if you decide to to go with a Manitou. I'm going to be out of town for 8 days starting Sat so my reply might take a bit....

Did your shock fail and you need a replacement?

·
Registered
10 Posts
rear shock

Hi I am building up an anthem.I just got a pair of R7's 2007 of ebay and a pair of Dt swiss wheels and cash reserves have been a bit depleted. The rp price is over the top for me as I live in south africa and we pay 8 of our Rand to one Dollar. your manatou did it come of an anthem and if so which model ?
I'll wait till u get back no rush I have a giant shock on the frame at presant the manatou is a bit better and will last me till I get some more funds saved up.
regards
Mike

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.