Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm delusional. Maybe it's the late season fatigue or summer heat. Maybe I shouldn't post before the first cup is finished brewing.

Thinking my Vittoria TNT Mezcal feels more "resistance-y" with a few months of hard use no matter the pressure.
I know it garners rave reviews for rolling resistance even at its 725+ gram weight, but I'm OCD'ing that my former tires were more lively and quicker. Of course I have no HRM or power data because as with most things in life it's all about opinions and anecdotal evidence or apples to oranges comparison, ha.

Do XC race tires have a finite lifespan before any special marketed/R&D rubber wears away and then it's just a regular ol' tire?

·
Cycologist
16,919 Posts
Maybe I'm delusional. Maybe it's the late season fatigue or summer heat. Maybe I shouldn't post before the first cup is finished brewing.

Thinking my Vittoria TNT Mezcal feels more "resistance-y" with a few months of hard use no matter the pressure.
I know it garners rave reviews for rolling resistance even at its 725+ gram weight, but I'm OCD'ing that my former tires were more lively and quicker. Of course I have no HRM or power data because as with most things in life it's all about opinions and anecdotal evidence or apples to oranges comparison, ha.

Do XC race tires have a finite lifespan before any special marketed/R&D rubber wears away and then it's just a regular ol' tire?
I've got Mezcal front and back. I can't say I feel like they have more rolling resistance but I have lost confidence in them in regards to corning, despite a good bit of tread left. But I've had this experience with other tires, I don't know if I start breaking traction more or what but I reach a point where I lose confidence in the tire maintaining traction in the turns and I start looking for new tires. Maybe it is a rubber wear thing. I'm going to go for something with bigger knobs; I'm not a racer.

·
BOOM goes the dynamite!
6,861 Posts
I've only ever ridden one of the fancier version of the Vittoria tires (Peyote). Never really noticed a lot of difference until the cornering knobs were getting some serious wear and it started getting dustier and loose at the same time (not confidence inspiring). Since it's not something that happens in a day I really can't say one way or the other since no way I'm paying what they want for new ones these days to get another to find out. I did like it for what it was FWIW. But like chaz, I went with something a little more substantial as a replacement.

Side note: maybe it's just me, but I think all tires feel better when first put on.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've run Barzo/Mezcal quite a bit, although getting them at the moment is difficult. Earlier in the year I rode the tyres till they were dead, it was dry and dust (rare for where I live), and they were great.

First rain I almost killed myself as they had no grip on damp roots or rock.

·
Underskilled
4,937 Posts
I've found my vittoria tyres to drag and lack traction after a few months as well.

Unfortunately that's also how they felt on the first ride too! =)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I haven't noticed that, I recently put my 2019 season Mezcals back on the fs bike, but they are pretty low miles (15 races?, not a huge amount of training), they feel really fast to me. Older Barzos are on the kids bike that I ride once in a while, they seem good too, - I got a kom 6 months ago on those for whatever that's worth.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
They specifically said that they focused on increased grip on the newest version of the graphene compound, at the expense of rolling resistance. I can't remember exactly where they said it.

The G2 graphene tires lasted forever and rolled insanely fast, but werent as grippy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.