Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im waiting on a crank bolt so I wont have the crank or chain installed till friday or possibly early next week. Does the chain need to be on the bike/running through the RD to be able to cut and install the cable housing and cable?

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Im waiting on a crank bolt so I wont have the crank or chain installed till friday or possibly early next week. Does the chain need to be on the bike/running through the RD to be able to cut and install the cable housing and cable?
No. But I like to adjust the RD high/low limit screws with the chain installed and cable disconnected.

·
Do it for Deegan
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. But I like to adjust the RD high/low limit screws with the chain installed and cable disconnected.
Huh. I understand how the low limit would work but without a cable keeping it in place how do you have the RD shift to the high gear when it doesn't have a cable keeping the springs from going right back into the low gear?

·
Rabid Lana Fan
10,334 Posts
You use your hand to push the deraileur out to the last gear, just as the cable would pull it out to the last gear. Shift by hand instead of cable

It takes a bit of coordination, cause with the cable, the shifter locks it into the position, but by hand, you just have to push against the spring tension and hold it there.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Huh. I understand how the low limit would work but without a cable keeping it in place how do you have the RD shift to the high gear when it doesn't have a cable keeping the springs from going right back into the low gear?
What nw said. And a proper RD spring moves it to the high position (small cog).

·
Registered
18,001 Posts
I think it's better to adjust limits without the cable hooked up but I like the chain on because the best adjustment is the when the chain is running the most quietly, especially on the small cog.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
I think it's better to adjust limits without the cable hooked up but I like the chain on because the best adjustment is the when the chain is running the most quietly, especially on the small cog.
Exactly. You can only come close without the chain installed. How it runs with the chain is what matters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.